The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SE Electronics Mics
Old 10th September 2008
Anybody noticed how many 3-5 year old threads have been rezed lately?
Old 10th September 2008
it's almost like ....**GASP**....people are using the search function!
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Head

what mic do you recommend?? a SE electronics se 2200A or an AKG perception 220??
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Guru

I have a older SE mic, sounds great !!
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Which one do you got? I own an SE5000 tube mic which works great, not fizzy at all and an old SE201 model, a little fizzy, but it's a FET. And finally I have an SE H3500. It's the huge heavy one that looks like a U47 FET.

Jasper
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Carlos View Post
what mic do you recommend?? a SE electronics se 2200A or an AKG perception 220??
2200A really nice on vocals.. most underrated mic i know
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
Which one do you got? I own an SE5000 tube mic which works great, not fizzy at all and an old SE201 model, a little fizzy, but it's a FET. And finally I have an SE H3500. It's the huge heavy one that looks like a U47 FET.

Jasper
Its not to old, but its a 2200, it works well on many artist.
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Is this the SE5500 you have been talking about?!
www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/se-5500/10849

I mean, this is supposedly a chinese OEM mic. I bought one a while back, but modified it for better performance. I just read this post and was amazed that many like them stock.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Addict

I recently bought an SE GM10. Although I haven't tracked with it yet, I used it live with great success. It's the one that mounts to the lower bout of your guitar. I bought for a concert with an Andre Botcelli type singer. I played a classical guitar and refused to install a pickup. This this kicked ass! 4 weeks later I'm still getting compliments. Can't wait to track with it.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Z5600

I actually liked this mic quite a bit. Recorded a song with it on lead vocals. check out my MP3 sample. Its for sale right now here at GS classifieds and you can listen to a sample that I attached.

Old 25th April 2009
Gear Addict

yes?

ml heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Anybody noticed how many 3-5 year old threads have been rezed lately?
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear
Anyone know the difference between the SE2000 and the SE2000A
i think the 2000A was a limited edition but don't know what special features it had…if any.
Also does it have the "A' marked on the body?
only reference i can find is here and its not giving any info really. Google images is not showing it either.
Difference between SE Electronics SE2000 and SE2000A | Ultimate Metal - Heavy Metal Forum and Community

cheers
M
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Anyone know the difference between the SE2000 and the SE2000A
i think the 2000A was a limited edition but don't know what special features it had…if any.
Also does it have the "A' marked on the body?
only reference i can find is here and its not giving any info really. Google images is not showing it either.
Difference between SE Electronics SE2000 and SE2000A | Ultimate Metal - Heavy Metal Forum and Community

cheers
M
@ [email protected] is probably the guy who would have that answer.

I like a lot of sE's mics. I have 2 X1R (a stupid great deal on a great sounding mic) a V7, and 2 T2s and am considering a pair of sE5s next.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear
^^^ Thanks Drumsound for the link and mic choices
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
2200A really nice on vocals.. most underrated mic i know
Is the 2200 not renowned for being the mic Amy Winehouse used on some songs?
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
Well, this is a surprising thread. I know quite a bit about SE Electronics, since I used to be a distributor. Sort of.

They're out of Rohnert Park, California and when I was with them, they were operatiing out of a Chinese restaurant. They make tube and FET as you say, but they're a bit better than most Chinese mics because they hired Randy Quan to do quality control.

Quan's a producer, engineer and general gear slut in Sonoma County, so he ran tests on every mic in his studio before they were released. Or used to. Like me, I don't think he's with the company anymore.

Now... the blue SE5500 tube mic is a whole nother animal. I picked one up new at pretty much the same price as ecue, although at the time it was severely discounted because I was a so-called distributor (I tell you, I suck at sales). Although I've been suspicious of it from the start, so far in every test it's kicked ass. I find myself thinking, "Well, it can't be this good, can it?"

It's nice to hear someone else talk about this. I hate to admit it, but if the mic had Manley or AKG on the label I'd be telling people, "You've got hear this!" But since it's a no-name, instead I question my own judgment.
Are you able to shed any light on the claims that the SE 5500 was designed by two former Neumann engineers who used some of their newest ideas and the same internal components resulting in a lawsuit which forced SE to cease making them after a very short run.
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Never heard that rumor before now.
Old 17th May 2020
Gear Nut

It's necrobump time boyyys,
This thread was created 18ish years ago and the Se5500 that started the whole thing is rumored to have been rebadged by the facility in China producing it as the Thomann house brand t.bone SCT 800 (albeit with a cheaper tube). I've found no way to outright confirm this but the rumored Neumann engineering is now rumored to be in a sub-$200 tube microphone (though you will need to grab a NOS tube to fully unleash the potential).
Old 17th May 2020
SE took steps to make some higher end mics including mics with a Neve transformer
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Is the 2200 not renowned for being the mic Amy Winehouse used on some songs?
Her whole "Back to Black" album I believe. I do have an early SE2200A and it's as good as anything for some singers and clashes like hell with others. But when it works - it works!
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

It's a little sibilant, on my (bright) voice-like their SE X1. Surely would be just fine though, with proper de-essing.

A better fit out of the box IMHO, is the "flatter" SE 4400A or T2. Drumsound's glowing recommendation of the Titanium capsuled T2, will help keep me intrigued about that mic.

My guess is that the 4400A, would also be a very nice vocal mic generally/also for me. Particularly if I were ever starting from scratch. This is their attempt to mimic a 414 "brass capsule" AFAIK. Which I love the sound of, so that could sway me that direction, over the more "modern" toned titanium.

Their resemblance to the Classic 414, just "might" be more than sheer coincidence.
Chris
P.S. Their high end "Neve" flagships, of their ribbon and LDC tube microphones respectively, are very VERY nice indeed!
BTW Amy used the original Rode (grey) NT-1 for her Studio recording of "Valerie".
📝 Reply