The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Brent Averill 1272
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Brent Averill 1272

I'm looking for feedback on Brent Averill's version of the Neve 1272 pre. Anyone using this? How does it compare to an original Neve 1272 converted to a mike pre?
Old 3rd September 2004
Gear Addict

Got some BAE API's and they've been great. The 1272 isn't a Neve re-creation of a mic pre as far as I'm aware..more of an adaptation of parts to make a Neve mic pre if you get my drift.
Old 3rd September 2004
Here for the gear

Re: Brent Averill 1272

Quote:
Originally posted by beechstudio
I'm looking for feedback on Brent Averill's version of the Neve 1272 pre. Anyone using this? How does it compare to an original Neve 1272 converted to a mike pre?
It depends on who converted the original.
Seventh circle sounded the best to my ears. Really well made too and it won't have pigtails hanging from it like the BAE stuff which tends to break easily. Check out Dan Alexander 1272 if he is still making them. They sound great too. Copies are just that. Copies. Better off getting the real thing imho.

PT
Old 3rd September 2004
Gear Nut

I'm using one of the first BAE Neve1272 rack. His logo is not even on the face plate, I've got the "NEVE 1272 CLASS A PREAMP" and that's all.

It's made out of 2 original NEVE 1272 (I took the rack to a techie in here, he comfirmed the 2 original NEVE 1272s)

Anyway, all of this to say that it sounds GREAT, one of the best buys I've made. Maybe you were talking about 1272 copies.

Good luck in your search!

Marc Girard
www.marcgirard.com
Old 3rd September 2004

Brent Averill does good work.
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Of all the ones I've heard that are "knock-offs" or reproductions, or even ones that use some original parts, the best by far were the Dan Alexanders, and The Mercenary ones Fletcher was making in the 90s. Having heard a lot of real 1272s, the DA sounded exactly like I expected. So did the Merc, but he added some extra cool features that took it beyond 1272
The Averills are probably your best bet nowadays--BAE does good work. The Vintech does not sound like a 1272 in my opinion.

I know a guy selling a pair of actual vintage Neve 1272 in a custom rack, but of course the price is in the $2K plus range.
Old 3rd September 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by GearHunter
Of all the ones I've heard that are "knock-offs" or reproductions, or even ones that use some original parts, the best by far were the Dan Alexanders, and The Mercenary ones Fletcher was making in the 90s. Having heard a lot of real 1272s, the DA sounded exactly like I expected. So did the Merc, but he added some extra cool features that took it beyond 1272
The Averills are probably your best bet nowadays--BAE does good work. The Vintech does not sound like a 1272 in my opinion.

I know a guy selling a pair of actual vintage Neve 1272 in a custom rack, but of course the price is in the $2K plus range.
What's Up Gear Hunter? Nice to see you around....
Old 3rd September 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
Brent Averill does good work.
I was just curious. Does Brent do the work making his 1272 knockoffs?

Cheers

Jeremy
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Several of you have mentioned the Dan Alexander 1272.......Are you referring to the dual channel class A preamp he's making now?
Old 3rd September 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy2
I was just curious. Does Brent do the work making his 1272 knockoffs?

Cheers

Jeremy
I think Avedis does a lot of the work, but you can call and ask them..
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

This one?
Attached Thumbnails
Brent Averill 1272-preampfront.jpg  
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Dan does not call his a 1272, although I think he might have a few years ago when I used them. There was no doubt that the DA I was using in the late 90s sounded like a 1272. I'm not sure if the design is the same now, and I'm not even sure if you can get them from him currently. Last time I spoke to him--which was months ago--he said he didn't have any and there was no ETA.

If he is making them available now, I might see if you can AB one on his with the BA.
Old 3rd September 2004

Yeah... I don't think you can get the Dan Alexander's at this point...
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Brent Averill 1272

Quote:
Originally posted by PTMixer
It depends on who converted the original.
Seventh circle sounded the best to my ears. Really well made too and it won't have pigtails hanging from it like the BAE stuff which tends to break easily. Check out Dan Alexander 1272 if he is still making them. They sound great too. Copies are just that. Copies. Better off getting the real thing imho.

PT
Man, you love to slag BAE whenever you get a chance. I've got a pair of 1272's and they do not have pigtails. I think the very first version did, Bruce Swedien had a pair of those, and despite the pigtails, they sounded excellent, were very well made, and survived many trips around the world. As for DA, I bought a pair of 2254's from him and it was the worst racking job I've ever seen. It looked like an 8th grade science project. BAE fixed me up in a day.
Old 5th September 2004
Lives for gear

I Got Mine in 1999 and they are the Real ones and they rock! They have a very special place in my rack.They are Dark but Thats the Beauty of them. I recorded some vocal's the other day and used the 1272's on the Ad lib's it was perfect, Great contrast to the Lead, and on Synth, Drum Machines and Bass through the DI Awesome!
Old 5th September 2004
Gear Addict

Avedis from BAE racked a pair of genuine 1272 modules for me. He did a fantastic job and they sound great. This man is the pinnacle of service and support.
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I'll be picking up a pair of these soon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search