The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Suggest a kick microphone that has a good "thud", punchy in the mids - not "clicky"
Old 21st May 2008
Gear Addict

Suggest a kick microphone that has a good "thud", punchy in the mids - not "clicky"

I'm having a hard time deciding on which kick mic to buy for my needs.

I want that nice tight thud in the bottom.

I also want a nice punchy midrange.

My favortie drummers are Bonham, Manu Katche, Vinne Colaiuta, Brian Blade, Al Jackson (Booker T). I like that kind of tight bottom end thud those drummers have with a nice punchy attack.

What I don't like is that Metallica ticky clicky bass drum sound that doesn't even sound like a bass drum.

I want a tight sound, not flabby but with some thickness to it. I also don't like that hollow tunnel type sound that I have heard at time.

I also want a mic that could sound great both inside the drum with dampeneing for more punchy attack but also that will also sound great a few inches in front of the front head with no hole cut in it and dampened less for that Bohnam/Mitch Mitchell kind bass drum setup.

My drum is a vintage Ludwig 24" X 14" with powerstroke 3 coated on the batter side and ambassador coated on the front. I use a Danmar Classic style felt beater.

Suggest away please! I am all ears.
Old 21st May 2008
Gear Nut

i think the "ticky clicky" sound comes most from the tuning and beater selection, though the mic and placement can accentuate this type of sound.

having said that, a 421 or re-20 is what i'd reach for if i were going for what you describe.
Old 21st May 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

D112
or the "thudier"
D12

oh yeah, an RE20, or SM7 would fit the bill.
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Shure Beta 52 /SM7
Electro Voice RE20
AKG D112 / D12
Audix D6
Sennheiser MD421

The sound... it´s all about how the kick sounds & mic placement.
(+ EQ/Comp)
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

D112 - too much click for you

Sm7 - not enough click

But the best is to double mic the kick , 421 inside and a Subkick or Speaker on outside .
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar View Post
Shure Beta 52 /SM7
Electro Voice RE20
AKG D112 / D12
Audix D6
Sennheiser MD421

The sound... it´s all about how the kick sounds & mic placement.
(+ EQ/Comp)
Those are all very different mics. From what I have read and understand the D6 is the king of Clicky. and the D112 is not far behind. Why would you suggest those?
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post

D112 - too much click for you

Sm7 - not enough click

But the best is to double mic the kick , 421 inside and a Subkick or Speaker on outside .
Is the 421 tighter sounding than the RE-20? Which will give more thud and which will give more punchiness on the same bass drum in the same location?
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland View Post
Those are all very different mics. From what I have read and understand the D6 is the king of Clicky. and the D112 is not far behind. Why would you suggest those?

Because, like I said... placement! I´ve found that I can easily get two extremely different outcomes from one mic.

Sure the D112 can be very clicky inside the kick, very close to and pointing straight at the beater. But placed in middle inside the kick, pointing 180° away from the beater...very thick and "thuddy" and a bunch of tone - whole different story.
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is the 421 tighter sounding than the RE-20? Which will give more thud and which will give more punchiness on the same bass drum in the same location?
I'm not sure cause I've never used the RE-20 before . But what I've read about it is that its similar to the SM7 , both broadcast mics .

I have used the SM7 and it works on kick but I find not enough punch or click with it .Maybe if your after a more mellow kick tone .

I have also used an e602 , D112 , 57 and I can't remember what else right now .

To me if you want that classic rock kick a 421 is it . Its got nice punch , lowend and not to much click , just enough .

Placement and tuning is also very critical with a kick drum .

You can also use a 57 inside for punch and a speaker outside for the lowend , which works well .
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Maniac

To me the OP is describing the RE-20. Don't forget to add a LDC with a lot of bottom 'FOK.

BUT: as always, tuning is all important, IMHO
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

get the d12 (not d112) if you can find it!
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Addict

PR-40
U-47 Fet
Korby FET KAT (Outside the Kick)

Had great result with each.
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

i will never suggest a vintage mic here again ..the last time i did they went from 400-500 to 700-1500 on ebay

so i'm not saying nah nah nah nah nahhehhehhehheh
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Head

awesome, you are a magic man.
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

if you like the sound of a kickball grab the D112. D12 is better. I personally like the beta52 for thud and I use a 57 for click but only because thats what I got. Still works pretty well. Other favorites the usual suspects, fet47, re20, 421. A wild card mic is the telefunken ak47. I put mine 2-3 ft outside the kik facing slightly up towards the overheads with a cardiod pattern. Best kik sound I ever had but more importantly a perfectly blended mono source!!!! The whole kit was captured perfectly. All I did was bring up the overheads (audio techinca atm450) and I was done. Didn't use the hat, toms, snr, and kik mic. Kinda blew my mind.
Old 22nd May 2008
Crowley and Tripp Mercenary Edition "el Diablo"

Its designed to be the equivalent of having a MD421 on the beater head [for note] and a FET 47 on the out head, [for girth and breath] placed on the INSIDE of the drum.

No Joke...intake over 140 DB SPL @ all BANDS!!!!!

No need for any other microphones, just add a preamp texture of choice [I like the Chandler TG-2 for punch or the NPNG for the most breathtaking depth and transient reach] than simply move the mic for taste.

I've been cutting all types of records with the "el diablo" its not just for kicking you in the teeth, punching you in the gut, kick sounds. Maybe if you throw the AMTEC PEQ-1A on the chain, but this microphone is very versatile and worth every penny when you consider how this thing is built and how it can preform under any circumstance.
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

oops. I forgot one of my favorites and a definite sleeper mic. The audio technica 2500. It sounds great and the gimmick is not a gimmick. Its the best sounding "kick" mic hands down. The price is just a little high for a so called single use mic. I have heard people getting good results on snare also. Not one to sleep on. Frank Filipetti turned me on to it if that means anything.
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Maniac

all right man here goes my two cents...

D6- not really clicky from my experience. I usually place it to the far right of the opening, facing the beater. Really easy to get a good sound (thump + click).

D112- It's been called the "duck" for that exact reason!!! (quack-quack) Basically if placed inside the bass drum near the beater it will be the best mic for that click that you don't want.

RE20- Great mic for a well tuned Kick Drum.... Very flat sounding (hence why it is great for Broadcasters...)

MD421- is a very clear mic IMO. Depending were you place it it will give you a clear representation of your sound.

Those are the mics I've had experience with. That being said I would definitely recommend making a two mic set up. Yamaha Sub Kick outside d112 3/4 in. THis will give you the thump from the sub kick and the ability to control the click with the D112. That's what I do and it sounds really good.

-cool
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Addict

I like the sound of Larry Mullen Jr.'s Kick drum on "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and "With or without you". - great thud and punch.

And I also like his bass drum sound on Sunday Bloody Sunday

Anybody know what mics were used to get that thud?
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaniac View Post
D6- not really clicky from my experience.
How much more click than a D6 could you want? I have yet to find a half decent tone with that mic.

I suggest the MD421.
Old 22nd May 2008
Jai guru deva om

E/V ND868

War
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Maniac

all right man here goes my two cents...

D6- not really clicky from my experience. I usually place it to the far right of the opening, facing the beater. Really easy to get a good sound (thump + click).

D112- It's been called the "duck" for that exact reason!!! (quack-quack) Basically if placed inside the bass drum near the beater it will be the best mic for that click that you don't want.

RE20- Great mic for a well tuned Kick Drum.... Very flat sounding (hence why it is great for Broadcasters...)

MD421- is a very clear mic IMO. Depending were you place it it will give you a clear representation of your sound.

Those are the mics I've had experience with. That being said I would definitely recommend making a two mic set up. Yamaha Sub Kick outside d112 3/4 in. THis will give you the thump from the sub kick and the ability to control the click with the D112. That's what I do and it sounds really good.

-cool
Old 23rd May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
I like the sound of Larry Mullen Jr.'s Kick drum on "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and "With or without you". - great thud and punch.

And I also like his bass drum sound on Sunday Bloody Sunday

Anybody know what mics were used to get that thud?
I'm not sure what kick mic Lanois used on Larry Mullen Jr's bass drum but I concur that it sounded fantastic. Awesome pillowy thud with enough punch to cut through The Edge's dense wall of guitars...not to mention the awesome way that the bass drum and bass guitar work together so amazingly well in this tune "Still haven't found..." The kick and bass guitar play the exact same rhythmic figure but each is nice and defined. I think the bass was rolled off a lot to allow for the kick to punch through. I too wonder what mic was used. Likely one of the usual suspects at that time - 1986.
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Sennheiser e602. I'll post some uncompressed, un-EQ'd samples tomorrow.
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

AKG D12E in the Kick In and AKG D112 Kick Out
Old 23rd May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
oops. I forgot one of my favorites and a definite sleeper mic. The audio technica 2500. It sounds great and the gimmick is not a gimmick. Its the best sounding "kick" mic hands down.
Their entire line sounds great!
Old 23rd May 2008
You could try to find an Audio Technica ATM25. They haven't been made for a year or so, but fit the bill nicely.
Old 23rd May 2008
Gear Maniac

MD421 is very tight and punchy but a bit thin for what I think you are looking for. Combine it with a FET47 style LDC at FOK or a speaker mic (subkick) to get the air and low end.

Can either put the 421 in the kick or at batter side if you want an uncut res head.
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophic View Post
i think the "ticky clicky" sound comes most from the tuning and beater selection, though the mic and placement can accentuate this type of sound.

having said that, a 421 or re-20 is what i'd reach for if i were going for what you describe.
My thoughts exactly.

Also as the previous post said, adding a large diaphragm condenser outside the kick can help add a ton of low end, though watch out for phase and alignment issues.
Old 23rd May 2008
Gear Addict

I have a U47 tube condensor so I can get that "FOK" thing no problem. I usually place the mic 2 or 3 feet away. Any closer and I'm afraid that I might ruin that mic.

what I am looking to buy is a dynamic mic that will add some thud and punch at closer distances where you would not want to place a LDC or a ribbon.

I don't think it is safe to place a U47 any closer than 2 feet away from the front head do you?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search