The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT Control Surface Recommendation(s)
Old 3rd September 2004
  #1
Lives for gear
 
digiman's Avatar
PT Control Surface Recommendation(s)

I'm in the market for a controller for my HD3 rig and am about 2 years away from being able to get and ICON. Since the ICON isn't in my budget right now I was trying to figure out what would be the best and cheapest solution for me in the meantime.

Control24?
HUI?
3rd Party Unit? (Mackie???)

I want something that will effectively allow me to use real faders and knobs just to hold me over until I get the ICON. The C24 looks OK, but $5000 is pretty steep for a control surface. Would I be better off getting something else?
Old 3rd September 2004
  #2
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 

depends on your milage ... for protools controlling there's nothing out there that remotely comes close to their ethernet solutions : thus Icon / Procontrol and C24.

One cannot possibly compare The HUI's and the likes out there neither in price range nore in flexibility / stability and quality of working.
Old 3rd September 2004
  #3
Lives for gear
 
steins's Avatar
I don't regret buying the C24. My unit has operated without a hitch for 18 months, alltough I know some early units had some power supply problems. As far as I know, those problems has been sorted out.

The best part of the C24 is that it is build for ProTools. It's not a generic controller.

I've not worked on a ProControl or Icon, so I don't know how it compares to those.

Stein Tore
Old 3rd September 2004
  #4
2nd hand ProControl?
Old 3rd September 2004
  #5
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
I looked at the other controllers,finally I gave in and got the C-24.very happy!!almost new on ebay for $4700.00.
Old 4th September 2004
  #6
Lives for gear
 
digiman's Avatar
Thanks for the replies. I'm going with a pre-owned C24.
Old 6th September 2004
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Just hooked my C24 this afternoon... im loving life. I just started a mix on it and already cant live without it.
Old 6th September 2004
  #8
Gear Addict
 
largeunit's Avatar
 

Re: PT Control Surface Recommendation(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by digiman
I'm in the market for a controller for my HD3 rig and am about 2 years away from being able to get and ICON. Since the ICON isn't in my budget right now I was trying to figure out what would be the best and cheapest solution for me in the meantime.

Control24?
HUI?
3rd Party Unit? (Mackie???)

I want something that will effectively allow me to use real faders and knobs just to hold me over until I get the ICON. The C24 looks OK, but $5000 is pretty steep for a control surface. Would I be better off getting something else?
I'm considering the Command 8. Sounds like something you might consider too.

http://www.digidesign.com/products/control/command8/
Old 7th September 2004
  #9
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Control 24.... heh
Old 7th September 2004
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Re: Re: PT Control Surface Recommendation(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by largeunit
I'm considering the Command 8. Sounds like something you might consider too.

http://www.digidesign.com/products/control/command8/
I have a C8. I love it. Granted this is the first controller I've owned so not much to compare too, but still....
Old 7th September 2004
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Anyone using the pres on the C24 for recording. How do the pres compare with a Yamaha desk (DM1000 or 01V96).
I'm thinking biting the bullet and getting one or the DM1000 as I have the 01V96.
Time for upgrade.


Nick
Old 8th September 2004
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
I can't speak well enough of the Procontrol. The monitoring system is a little lackluster (Get the e-pot for monitoring so the panning stays right), but it works.

The expandability (not everyone needs 24 low quality faders) is really key, and compared to the Digi002/C24/and Control 8, the faders rock. The Icon is the only other control surface i've found with decent faders.

Also the Procontrol seems to have a button for literally every function in PT except delete track (perhaps this is a good thing and intentional). I wouldn't buy a C24 for the studio that i'm in now, but perhaps for a smaller place or a home studio it would be a nice choice, but I think they should have left off the Pres and put better faders on it! The faders just feel so grainy!

The Icon seems like slight overkill to me, except perhaps for mixing for film...
Old 8th September 2004
  #13
jho
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Aearth
Anyone using the pres on the C24 for recording. How do the pres compare with a Yamaha desk (DM1000 or 01V96).
I'm thinking biting the bullet and getting one or the DM1000 as I have the 01V96.
Time for upgrade.


Nick
They are not that great, maybe a step up from wackie. They peak really quickly. I used to have them all wired to the patchbay, but when I rewired, I didn't put them back on....don't use them anymore unless I need more than the 16 rack pre's I have (not often).
Old 9th September 2004
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally posted by jho
They are not that great, maybe a step up from wackie. They peak really quickly. I used to have them all wired to the patchbay, but when I rewired, I didn't put them back on....don't use them anymore unless I need more than the 16 rack pre's I have (not often).

Thanks Jho

Nick
Old 9th September 2004
  #15
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 

most people I know with a C24 have synths hooked up to the pre's.
Old 9th September 2004
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Do those pres really add anything or would it just be better to run your synth right into the convertor?
Old 10th September 2004
  #17
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
If your levels are fine ,there's no reason to add bad electronics to the chain[C-24 pre's=tutt ]
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Circuitt / High End
24
stvintage / Low End Theory
20
halfguard / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
16
Zep Dude / So Much Gear, So Little Time
22
Volodia / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump