The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SHURE beta 87a/58a with decent or high end gear?
Old 2nd September 2004
Here for the gear

SHURE beta 87a/58a with decent or high end gear?

Has anybody used the beta 87a/58a to overdub vocals with decent or high end gear? I have a MYTEK STEREO 96 ADC and will soon have an RME interface. I'm just wondering if a beta 87a/58a will be the weakest link my particular chain in a dramatic, audible way. Obviously #1 I'd love a U47, U195 or even a KSM32; #2 I know Bjork and Bono tracked w/87; #3 depends on the particular voice....just looking other peoples experiences really. Thanks!

Novo
Old 2nd September 2004
Lives for gear

Can't say about 'hi end' gear, but we have both the Beta87 and a small sackful of 58s...use 'em all the time.

The 87 seems to work very well on upper baritone male voice...I run them through any number of mid/lo end stuff, and usually get very good results...

I seem to recall reading an article 1000 years or so ago in which Billy Joel was reported to like them in the studio for a time...Merle Haggard prefered them as his live mic, if that means anything...

You could do a LOT worse...I think.
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

Both are good mics in the right situation. Like Midland said, you could do MUCH worse.
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

I did a shootout of about 12 mics... on playback the singer picked out the beta58 and the ELUX 251...

Old 6th September 2004
Well, I havn't used the B87 on vocals, but I used it on snare drum, w/ a Sytek and it sounds AMAZING. The best snare mic I heard on my Mapex 14" x 6 1/2 Maple snare!
Old 7th September 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Well, I havn't used the B87 on vocals, but I used it on snare drum, w/ a Sytek and it sounds AMAZING. The best snare mic I heard on my Mapex 14" x 6 1/2 Maple snare!

I had a good experience with it on a metal noble and cooley() snare....

great snare and great dummer tho..
Old 8th September 2004
One with big hooves

Like you said, it depends on the voice and singer. Some people are just way more comfertable with a mic in their hands then they are with one on a stand.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search