The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Mx-p61
Old 19th May 2008
Gear Maniac

Sony Mx-p61

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone may be able to shed any light on this little sony desk. I've googled it to no avail, so I thought I would come to the oracle of gearslutz! Having plugged it up and tested it very briefly, it sounds quite noisy, so I was wondering if it was worth spending money to get it refurbed, or is it just a lame duck? As far as i can tell, it was a broadcast mixer of some sort, and it is built like a tank (very heavy).
Any insight would be very gratefuly recieved.
Many thanks in advance
joe
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Mx-p61-p190508_07.38.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-p190508_07.39.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P190508_07.37.JPG (140.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th May 2008
Hi Uncle Joe,
I got a little Sony too Mx-p21. It has a very nice sound but is a tad noisy as well.
it helps to take it apart (please note it's a complicated design - typical Sony) and clean all the connectors of the cards. It wouldn't be dumb to change the caps too, but the connectors is what makes a big difference.
Try to get a service manual before disassembling it! really!
Good luck
R.
Old 19th May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

thanks. I'll pop it open and give it a good clean.
Do you know when and where it was made. aslo, any idea on it's value? (it was picked up at a car boot sale for £30!) thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejoe View Post
thanks. I'll pop it open and give it a good clean.
Do you know when and where it was made. aslo, any idea on it's value? (it was picked up at a car boot sale for £30!) thanks again.
that's a steal.
the value is what ppl. pay for it. they have no "classic" pedigree, which is perfect.
I like my first little sony desk
it's got balls
I use it in conjunction with other, cleaner mixers that have more headroom.
It was made in Japan, eightties. rough guesstimate.

again: make pictures when disassembling, or keep it sorted in another way, the complexity of the casing of my mx-p21 is flabbergasting.
Lives for gear

I have two of these.... bought them as sidecars, from the White House for about $200 each. I have the ones with the VU meters. One has a white stain on the meter bridge..... perhaps Bill had fun on it.

I kid you not, it sounds great. It's a slight bit noisy, but nothing extraordinary. I A/Bd the mic pres to the Neve 8058, and frankly, they stood up well. They're transformerless pres, and it's a bummer the channels don't have inserts, but they actually sounded quite good, and dare I say they sounded better than a host of other pres I compared it to.

The limiter in the master busses is cool too. Not amazing, but definitely cool.

However, as a general use desk, with decent EQ and a good selection of flexibility, it's totally worth a refurb. If you need a service manual, let me know. I can scan it for you.
Lives for gear

Oh and yeah... it was built in the mid-late 80's and carried a price tag of about $12,000

Yes, you read correctly, $12k.
Old 19th June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Brilliant little desks
Very useable and GREAT quality.
Old 13th November 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

S

hey there

I just bought this mixer second hand (£30), howvever it has a fault.

Its making a lot of inconsistant white noise on the output. We opened it up and it look quite clean, however we are suspecting its a power supply.

Any of you guys had a simmilar fault or problem? How hard it is to get parts for these mixers?

I love its sound when is not noisy and would defo like to fix it.

Help is appreciated.

GG
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveguru View Post
hey there

Its making a lot of inconsistant white noise on the output. We opened it up and it look quite clean, however we are suspecting its a power supply.

Any of you guys had a simmilar fault or problem? How hard it is to get parts for these mixers?

Help is appreciated.

GG
Have you tried running it on 12vdc?
Parts are possible, but if you want the power supply it would cost a fortune. I think I asked and it was something like £500!
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey there

Help is appreciated.

GG
I just rebuilt the DC power converter on a MXP21 (same type little smaller) I only did the input stage should have done the entire thing, but it only cost me about $25.00 in caps and transistors, I plan on recapping the rest of the power converter.

Here's the thing with these birds they run on DC so even if you try the 12 volt DC they still need to be converted to +15, -15, +5, and +48 so if the main power converter is acting up the DC input might not help at all, you can try.

Once they get cleaned up (and cleaning the channels is essential) the noise floor will probably be some where around -50-70 db, so really they aren't all that bad.

The EQ's on these things are killer. I think its worth it just for the outboard EQ, we've compared ours to API, Avalon, Drawmer and Great River stuff we have in the shop and it holds up very well.

ps. the line input on these boards is incredibly noisy, we only use the mic input...

Last edited by iomegaman; 13th November 2008 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: ps
Old 28th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
I just rebuilt the DC power converter on a MXP21 (same type little smaller) I only did the input stage should have done the entire thing, but it only cost me about $25.00 in caps and transistors, I plan on recapping the rest of the power converter.

Here's the thing with these birds they run on DC so even if you try the 12 volt DC they still need to be converted to +15, -15, +5, and +48 so if the main power converter is acting up the DC input might not help at all, you can try.

Once they get cleaned up (and cleaning the channels is essential) the noise floor will probably be some where around -50-70 db, so really they aren't all that bad.

The EQ's on these things are killer. I think its worth it just for the outboard EQ, we've compared ours to API, Avalon, Drawmer and Great River stuff we have in the shop and it holds up very well.

ps. the line input on these boards is incredibly noisy, we only use the mic input...
thanks for the advice!
I've never really cleaned up something like this, but it seems like a good place to learn.
Any advice on how to proceed?
Old 28th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejoe View Post
thanks for the advice!
I've never really cleaned up something like this, but it seems like a good place to learn.
Any advice on how to proceed?
Well what we did was open up the power supply (its a DC to DC with an AC to DC as well), which has something in the neighborhood of a bazillion screws holding the cover on it.

We then proceeded to change out the transistors and diodes on the output stage, (ours was not working at all), we also changed out 6-8 caps.

Here's the deal, you're gonna need the schematic, it is indispensable for this work, fortunately Sony did a VERY detailed manual on these boards and even included an exact parts list, so you can track down the offending parts.

I found my manual online and paid $20.00 bucks for the pdf version, some old guy has them where he has scanned hundreds of these things, I could not find my specific info from Sony.

White noise could be a lot of things, I would start with using some good quality cleaner on all the pots/sliders/buttons...after that I'd check for blown caps...we ended up doing some extensive testing with the scopes, but my engineer is anal like that.
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys, I am looking into it now... fingers crossed - fixed!
Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, I am looking into it now... fingers crossed - fixed!
To give you a little more to play with I changed out the opamps on mine, did all the master channel opamps and then played around with one or two of the channel strips...went with an AD sumthin, sumthin...I don't recall but have the specs, it was a Jim Williams recommend...anyway...changing out the master channel opamps opened up the sound-scape incredibly...(AD4987 or something like that check the cheap $79.00 dac thread)...

Anyway it made a huge impression noise floor dropped a bit and now the EQ is incredible...we realized it was doing a good job all along but the older opamps muddied it up a bit.

Anyway it was no big deal to drop in some decent saddles in all the opamps spots so we could mix and match to taste.

it sounds...

I dunno...think "Mozart" desk without the plastic.
Old 11th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGoody View Post

However, as a general use desk, with decent EQ and a good selection of flexibility, it's totally worth a refurb. If you need a service manual, let me know. I can scan it for you.
Hi folks! I stumbled upon a MX-p61 that needs repaid and would like to have the manual with schemo. Couldn't find one with google trickery and paying for one for someone outside Sony is kinda against my principles

Could you (or someone else) be kind enough to provide the manual? Thanks very much!
Old 20th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

I picked up one of these at an auction from a big TV studio that was closing a few years back. I was unfamiliar with it, but I took a chance on it. I took it back to my studio and plugged it in and it was very noisy. I didn't really need it at the time, so I just tucked it away in storage as a "rainy day" project.

I've been researching and A/B'ing mic pres lately. Last week I stumbled on to this thread and the positive responses made me break it out and give it a closer listen. Well, obviously the noise was still there, but even with the noise, I noticed how fat and deep the mic pres were when directly compared to the Focusrite Octapre (original) and the stock Fireface800 pres. They had considerably more depth and just plain goodness.

So it was a no brainer to try to do something about the noise. I completely disassembled it and sprayed good ol' rat shack contact cleaner in all of the jacks, pots, switches, and faders. I also did the card connectors. I ran out of contact cleaner, but I was able to finish the 2 master strips and just one regular channel. I plugged a mic in and can't believe the difference! The noise floor is so much lower on the cleaned channels compared to the uncleaned channels! I never would have thought that just cleaning the connections would have such an impact, but it did. I should also add that when I originally opened it up it was very "clean" looking on the inside...I think the card connectors may have had the biggest impact, but there's no way of knowing since I did it all at the same time.

I'm stoked because it turns out I had some great pres in my possession for a long time, but didn't even know it....and the EQ is indeed nice too. Now I can blow the money I saved on more mics!
Old 22nd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

I've now managed to get a majority of the noise cleaned up, but discovered that I have another problem. I did the original tests with a SM58 dynamic and a Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon, but when I went to try out my condensers today I discovered that the phantom power doesn't work correctly. The +12v seems to work fine, but the +48v does not work at all on any channels.

Does anybody happen to have any ideas about what may be causing this?

When I had the bottom panel off I noticed there were 3 or 4 unlabeled toggle switches inside near the back. Does anyone know what these toggles are for?

I can't find a manual online anywhere....
Here for the gear

Manual for mx p-61

Hey guys. I also own one of these since a month ago....Absolutely great little thingy!
If anyone here has the manual for these PLEASE share!!!!!!
That would be great for all of us mx p61 owners!
Here for the gear

Manual for mx p-61

Also, keep this thread going with info on how to mod this one!!!!!
I´m thinking of asking my tech to try and give it direct outs.....
Complicated?
Maybe replace the cascade jacs with db25´s?
What d´ya think?

I use mine for some bus fun.
Heres what I do:

I send my audio in stems to the mx and
use the 1st master as a "clean" bus,
the second as parallel bus to dbx 160´s.
I have the sends (1 and 2) hooked up to NTP 179/160´s
and send 3 to a 1176 in mono for blending some grit in the middle.

The processed channels(second stereo master and the buses)
are summed to stereo and put back in the mx
through the sub ins.

The mix is then taken back to PT from the master 1-2.

All gain staging, cleaning up and gating, eq and basic compressing is done ITB
and then out in pairs to the mx and analog comps+eq´s for summing.

I find this great for adding some vibe to my pre-processed audio,
and it puts a bit of "classic" feel to my mixing again...
Littleb-a
Hyena Sound sthlm
Stockholm Sweden
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleba View Post
I´m thinking of asking my tech to try and give it direct outs.....
Complicated?
Maybe replace the cascade jacs with db25´s?
What d´ya think?
That is a great idea. I was thinking about looking into having it modded for direct outs, but I never thought about using the cascade jacks!

For the most part, I'm mixing ITB (with select outboard gear on aux sends). I plan on using the Sony as a collection of channel strips on the front end for vibe via the preamps and EQ. Seven simultaneous channels are available without submixing via the 4 direct outs and the 3 aux outs. I suppose I could rig the PFL button on one channel to stay "pushed down" with tape or something to utilize yet one more preamp via the PFL direct out jack on the back bringing the total to 8 simultaneously.

However, direct outs via the cascade jacks would be much more elegant and would yield 12 channels AND lower noise because you could bypass some unnecessary internal signal routing.

I don't know what it would take to pull this off, but please report back anything you find out from your tech. I love the idea in theory!
Old 13th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
That is a great idea. I was thinking about looking into having it modded for direct outs, but I never thought about using the cascade jacks!

For the most part, I'm mixing ITB (with select outboard gear on aux sends). I plan on using the Sony as a collection of channel strips on the front end for vibe via the preamps and EQ. Seven simultaneous channels are available without submixing via the 4 direct outs and the 3 aux outs. I suppose I could rig the PFL button on one channel to stay "pushed down" with tape or something to utilize yet one more preamp via the PFL direct out jack on the back bringing the total to 8 simultaneously.

However, direct outs via the cascade jacks would be much more elegant and would yield 12 channels AND lower noise because you could bypass some unnecessary internal signal routing.

I don't know what it would take to pull this off, but please report back anything you find out from your tech. I love the idea in theory!
I have a copy of the schematics and there actually is a provision for direct outs on each of the 12 channels (it is shown in the drawings too). Looks like they ultimately did not implement it beyond the slot (which is there, I checked) on each of the modules though. Seems like it should be pretty easy to mod from there to get direct outs. I would love to go a step further for inserts too. I am quite surprised how good this thing sounds given its based on the NJM4560 chip which everyone seems to hate.
Old 13th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h88 View Post
I have a copy of the schematics and there actually is a provision for direct outs on each of the 12 channels (it is shown in the drawings too). Looks like they ultimately did not implement it beyond the slot (which is there, I checked) on each of the modules though. Seems like it should be pretty easy to mod from there to get direct outs.
That is great news John! Are the schematics you have paper or digital scans? Is there a chance I could get my hands on a copy?
Old 15th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I just have in paper (gigantic fold out pages for the diagrams) so will need to figure out a way to scan.
Old 16th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have the manual in pdf format if anyone needs it pm me a email addy
Old 16th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h88 View Post
I just have in paper (gigantic fold out pages for the diagrams) so will need to figure out a way to scan.
That's too bad. If you do figure out a way to share them, please do. I know I'm certainly interested!

Quote:
PM sent...Thanks!
Old 4th September 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I pm'd you. Thanks! Dave
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello Everybody

I also have one of these mixers, I was given it my a guy who had two broken ones, and said "if you can fix em, you can keep one as payment". So I'm repairing one at the moment, then I'll start on the other.

The main problem with both these, is that neither the low or high EQ controls work. On investigation, the wiper on the potentiometers has gone open circuit, so I'm slowly repairing those. 8 down, 4 to go. I have also run into a few other issues, one of the limiters doesn't work, or the AC power supply (DC is fine)

It's an impressive desk, and very well built.

I'm another who is thinking of adding inserts & direct outs & upgrading the opamps. But I'm concentrating on getting it working first heh. I'm thinking of using OPA2134 opamps (I use them in my hifi preamps), and making a SMD to SIL adapter circuit board.

For the inserts / outs, I was also thinking of changing one of the DB15 to a DB44 way high density connector, then making a breakout panel on a 19" rack. Channel 12 the insert is already used for the oscillator, so I may have to find a workaround for that, If I decide to keep the oscillator

Just about to send a PM for the service manual, iomegaman. Dad used to work for Sony, so he had a look. They binned them all years ago :(
Old 8th February 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Another P61 fan

I have been using one of these steadily for 12 years for on-set film production. It has seen dust and 100 degrees in Africa as well as -25 in the Canadian snow.

She's showing her age though, so if anyone wants to sell a fresher one, I'm looking.

Almost all of the low-eq's were shot and I was able to replace the pots (not easy!) and the faders need frequent disassembly and cleaning (so.many. screws!). Now some of the lighted routing switches are going bad (Yikes!).
Old 8th February 2011
Gear Maniac

I might consider selling, not sure of current value though. Feel free to pm me if you like
Old 13th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi Everybody,
I bought last month a second hand MX-P61 with a friend, for 400€. It is in perfect condition, really quiet, only good surprises...

We did the direct out mod last week, it is a pretty easy operation, and it works flawlessly! We did use the db15 cascad out connector (and soldering the cable is probably the most tricky manoeuvre).

If you want some details, don't hesitate.
📝 Reply