The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Mx-p61
Old 21st May 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

MX-P61 Direct out MOD

Hello All,

I just bought one of these on Reverb, and I am doing the Direct-out Mod. I am mid way thru the MOD and have decided to step back a bit. Should I use a DSub 15 or Dsyb 25 to complete the output? I decided not to use the Cascade connectors as I want them to stay intact. More news to follow and pictures as I move forward.
Old 24th May 2017
Old 7th June 2017
Here for the gear

I have a Sony MX P61 Audio Mixer that I used a few times, then stored for years. I find upon taking it out of storage, that the scuzzy port on back appears to be broken from something in the storage that was hitting against it. Does anyone have any idea of how much it costs to repair a scuzzy port on a Sony MX P61 Audio Mixer?
Old 6th January 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Sub d15
So your direct outs are unbalanced. How are you using them?
Old 9th January 2018
yes unbalanced, directly in convertors/soundcard. not a problem.
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Reviving a bit of an old threat, but....
Just bought a very cheap mx-p61, which is awesome of course. But it also has the common (..) eq pot problem. On most of the channels they are broken.
Original ALPS 250k lin vertical pots are unobtainable but did a search and i might have found a replacement. I read in here that people were looking for this so check this out.
Not cheap (expensive really...)
WARWICK MEC Mono Mini Potentiometer, B250K, Split Shaft
Old 31st January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendepause View Post
Reviving a bit of an old threat, but....
Just bought a very cheap mx-p61, which is awesome of course. But it also has the common (..) eq pot problem. On most of the channels they are broken.
Original ALPS 250k lin vertical pots are unobtainable but did a search and i might have found a replacement. I read in here that people were looking for this so check this out.
Not cheap (expensive really...)
WARWICK MEC Mono Mini Potentiometer, B250K, Split Shaft
...forget it, these are not the right pots.
Old 31st January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendepause View Post
...forget it, these are not the right pots.
may i ask how much you paid for the Sony ?? is it the Vu or Bar Graph meters ??

there is a guy on Reverb saying they were like 12,000.00 new ... umm ... i bought one for a remote guy (was helping finance a business but he was a swindler so i barely broke even) and it as 3500.00 !!! in 1991 ...

hope you got a great deal !!! solid piece of Kit ... and a heavy bugger too !!
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I actually paid 50 euro's for it.
Everything working, except for some broken high & low eq pots wich i'm more or less fixing now by de-soldering them, taking them apart and fix the wiper issue and soldering them back...
Old 1st March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

My MX-P61 developed a problem and I wondered if anyone could help. The VU lights and 48v phantom power stopped working, although it passes signal, I can use condensor mics with batteries and the LEDs on the board seem to be ok. So it's getting power, just not to the phantom and other sections.

Does anyone know a specific part/component of the board that would supply the phantom power and the VU lamps?

Update:

I've still not tracked down the faulty component(s), but half answered my own question if anyone is interested:

The problem is in the power supply section on the PS-50 board (under the faders). The AC and DC input stages look good. The +15/-15v ouput stage is working, obviously that powers the majority of the board, but the separate 48v, 12v and 6v DC outputs are dead. This explains the dead phantom and VUs (6v).

The problem is tracking down what is causing the problem. From my measurements it must be something after the IC2 chip (which measures 5V output on the 5v Vref) and before the T303 transformer (on the 48/12/6v side)

Voltage is lower than it should be at the Q304/Q305 transistors, and there is no voltage after the T303 transformer.

All of the capacitors that measured bad while in circuit (with a multimeter and ESR meter) actually measure better than the ones I got as replacements. So capacitors don't appear to be the problem. Same with resistors so far. As it's impossible to get an accurate reading in circuit I'm a bit stuck.

Does anyone have any experience with a faulty PSU section on the MX-P61?

I've attached the schematic and parts list if it may help anyone.

Public – Google Drive

Cheers

Last edited by Robo; 14th March 2019 at 06:43 AM..
Old 20th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Mod mx p61

Hi Pierre please help.me.step by step how to mod the p61 with db15 . I dlnt know where and how to solder this custom cable and how it works... awesome.little mixer love it. But with this mod its all about!!!! Thankssss
Old 22nd May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Mod mx p61

Hi i have one mxp61 can you explain to me.the mod please ? You are awesome!!!! How you did 12 outs? Bye!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreHiM View Post
Hi Everybody,
I bought last month a second hand MX-P61 with a friend, for 400€. It is in perfect condition, really quiet, only good surprises...

We did the direct out mod last week, it is a pretty easy operation, and it works flawlessly! We did use the db15 cascad out connector (and soldering the cable is probably the most tricky manoeuvre).

If you want some details, don't hesitate.
Old 23rd May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Mod mx p61

It works perfect with the "pierre" mod. Quite unbalanced good signal.
Old 30th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi/Low EQ Pot Repair

For those who have repaired the pots on this thing, how did you go about it? I've desoldered 3 of them now, careful not to pull up any traces, filed down the rivets that hold them together and successfully diassemble them. The issue I'm having, after glueing the wiper back in place, is that upon reassembly the pot doesn't fit as tightly together as before (and maybe thats okay), but once reinstalled, everytime I engage the eq circuit the channel no longer passes signal (just white noise coming from the eq)... So it seems to me to be an issue with the pot itself but idk? Just looking for some help on how to fix these thing!

Also I've taken a volt meter to the pot after the failed repair and it seems like I'm getting 250k +/- 50k rotating the wiper, so maybe its good, also also also alsoooo... Alps makes a 500k and 100k version of this pot would it be that big of a deal to up/lower the resistance and just replace them with something thats available?
Old 30th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I think what Pierre is saying is he used the existing wires that go from the CN-90 board to the Cascade connector on the rear of the mixer.

These are the yellow and white wires in the centre that already connect Line Outs 1-4, Auxes 1-3 and 2 x PFL outputs from the CN-90 board to the Cascade Out. So that's 9 wires already soldered.

He disconnected these from the CN-90 board end and connected them to the Direct Outs instead, you can see DOs on channels 1-12, there's an unsoldered hole for each channel on the PCB (pin 1 if you follow the schematic or look closely at the attached pics).

He connected another 3 wires for the remaining channels on CN-90, fed through to the meter bridge area and soldered to the remaining pins on the Cascade connector. Don't forget you need a Ground as well (pin 14/15).

This is just one way to do it, it might be easier to leave the yellow wires and just connect 12 new wires to the Direct Outs, and then to the Cascade Out, but the reasoning is the Cascade Out wiring is a bit fiddly and the yellow wires would then be redundant anyway.

I think Pierre mentioned inserts are also possible, there are IN and OUT connections ready to be soldered on the smaller PCB (CN-89) but I am not certain if he meant these.

EDIT: I forgot to say you'd also have to cut the trace (Direct Out, PIN 1, CN-90 board) as Pierre mentioned as it's currently connected to mains Earth.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg  

Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg   Sony Mx-p61-image.jpg  

Last edited by Robo; 30th May 2020 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 2nd June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi!!!! You have to use both cascade connectors to do that. so you can use all cables from the mixer. No EXTRA wires. Yellow and reds if i remember. And the trickiest part of all is build tha cable with both db15 male female cables ... one with 8 direct outs and the other with 4 direct outs. It is one ticket job so worth any second spended on it. ✌??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think what Pierre is saying is he used the existing wires that go from the CN-90 board to the Cascade connector on the rear of the mixer.

These are the yellow and white wires in the centre that already connect Line Outs 1-4, Auxes 1-3 and 2 x PFL outputs from the CN-90 board to the Cascade Out. So that's 9 wires already soldered.

He disconnected these from the CN-90 board end and connected them to the Direct Outs instead, you can see DOs on channels 1-12, there's an unsoldered hole for each channel on the PCB (pin 1 if you follow the schematic or look closely at the attached pics).

He connected another 3 wires for the remaining channels on CN-90, fed through to the meter bridge area and soldered to the remaining pins on the Cascade connector. Don't forget you need a Ground as well (pin 14/15).

This is just one way to do it, it might be easier to leave the yellow wires and just connect 12 new wires to the Direct Outs, and then to the Cascade Out, but the reasoning is the Cascade Out wiring is a bit fiddly and the yellow wires would then be redundant anyway.

I think Pierre mentioned inserts are also possible, there are IN and OUT connections ready to be soldered on the smaller PCB (CN-89) but I am not certain if he meant these.

EDIT: I forgot to say you'd also have to cut the trace (Direct Out, PIN 1, CN-90 board) as Pierre mentioned as it's currently connected to mains Earth.
Old 13th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Kris Bang Boom;7873075]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R_lucas View Post
Hello Everybody

The main problem with both these, is that neither the low or high EQ controls work. On investigation, the wiper on the potentiometers has gone open circuit, so I'm slowly repairing those. 8 down, 4 to go. I have also run into a few other issues, one of the limiters doesn't work, or the AC power supply (DC is fine)

I just grabbed one last night no issues but it seems my eq high and low are both out as well.
So should I assume this is the problem,
anychance Mouser of Digikey would have the mini POTS
or can cleaner and air get to this at all..
or is replacement the only option,
and then really how hard is it.

as well anybody with schematics manauls on pdf it would be a great help here.
Great little desk,
KBB
Did you ever manage to properly repair or replace these?

If so can you let us know what you did exactly?
📝 Reply