The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think about celebrity playlists?
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

What do you think about celebrity playlists?

Just getting used to the new recent UK itunes store and notice that the celebrity playlist seems to be a major feature of what music gets promoted.

I expect the playlist is a genuine non-financed selection, so is it a progressive idea?
Old 2nd September 2004
Gear Maniac

Geez Renie, what's going on? First a post re the music industry doesn't care, now this one, and then there's the Kevin Shirley thread where people are thinking about quitting the industry and setting up a fishing business in New Zealand!

This is the 21st Century, and there's no such thing anymore as "good" or "bad". It's all "expediency".

Teenage English soccer players are tranferred for a fee that would fix up the Australian hospital system (which is in a shocking state). Other countries would like one tenth of the resources Australian healthcare has.

Many of us have an arguably better or at least equivalent recording chain to the Beatles. But that's "bad" because the results are not as "good".
In the meantime we worry that our multi-thousand dollar recording systems are not giving us sufficient stereo spread or definition, so anxious that our all singing and all dancing DAW doesn't seem to be all singing and dancing, we post up on the forums to find even more ways and things to spend money on eg. analog summing - another $20,000 please.

In the end it's all dithered and truncated down to a thin shiny disc which is patched into the communications console of an American assualt tank so GI's can listen to their favourite Rap, "Gore Metal" or patriotic Kerntry music on their headsets as they drive downtown somewhere in Iraq where either they get blasted to bits or they blast somebody else to bits. Each side believes God is on their side, each side believes in death they are blessed, and each side is prepared to kill innocent children - it's "inevitable" they say.Expedient.

Australian Music and Film Industry people are alarmed about the effects the currently being negotiated Free Trade Agreement with the States will have on the Industry. The Prime Minister says
wimps, why of course we can trust the Multi-Nationals, as James Hardie Industries sets up an offshore corporate/legal scam to get out of paying compensation to thousands of Australian workers who have contracted asbestos related cancer due to Hardie's products - of which James Hardie was fully aware. Expedient.

All we can do is hope that our clients product, or if we're doin' our own stuff our own, has some degree of "integrity", so that somebody hears it, and is moved enough to buy, which enriches their lives and gives us more money to spend on even more gear.

Nope, in the 21st Century heaven is a huge oilfield somewhere beyond the clouds.

Celebrity Hit Lists?
Arnold Shwarzenneger:
1. I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun - Cat Stevens
2. God Is A Bullet - Concrete Blonde
3. Dirty Deeds - ACDC
4. Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
5. Bang Bang - Cher
6. Lola - The Kinks (which he'll later retract and maintain it's part of a plot by some Democrat "girlie-boy" journalist).

"Wheel's on fire, rolling down the road,
Just Notify my next of kin, this wheel shall explode" (set on infinite loop, to play over and over and over and over and over and over and over).
Old 2nd September 2004
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by stedel
Australian Music and Film Industry people are alarmed about the effects the currently being negotiated Free Trade Agreement with the States will have on the Industry.
C'mon... you guys were fukked long before this proposed legislation... you were fukked by the "parallel import" laws that were passed a few years ago.
Old 2nd September 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
C'mon... you guys were fukked long before this proposed legislation... you were fukked by the "parallel import" laws that were passed a few years ago.
Yup and erm...it goes even further back than that Fletcher.. One thing we have experience with over here is...ahem...being "fukked". I guess one consolation is that you guys have Paris Hilton and we don't!

Celebrity playlists and itunes stores- haven't seen it yet over here. Occassionally we get "guest programmers" on the all night music show "Rage".
A couple of weeks ago they had Cyndi Lauper - she picked some very cool stuff, old Talking Heads for instance. As for celebs doing free community service for itunes........hmm. Interesting.
Old 3rd September 2004
Motown legend

Starbuck$ has started selling celebrity compilations.
Old 3rd September 2004
urumita

This is the end

I think that posthumous compilations could be profitable. What kind of royalties do you have to pay on a selelction if you just use the name of the artist? For example Jim Morrison's Top 20 selected through interviews with acquaintances during his lifetime and influences on his groups music. The music of Jim Morrison without a Doors' tune or the the music of Jimi Hendrix with out a Jimi Hendrix recording on it. Elvis' Hit list, what did they listen to?
Musicologically interesting, hell hounds on my trail
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

I could really care less what a celebrity thinks is 'cool' as far as music goes. It falls into the same category as celeberity political opinions.
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

It would be neat to see random playlists and comp's.

"Some dude in Iowa thinks these 12 songs are the sh!t"...yeah...I'd probably be interested in that a lot quicker than "Mike Tyson's Slow Jams for Drinking the Prison Wine"...but that's just me.

Lots of people bank on the fact that numbskulls will buy the songs on a celebrity playlist in order to feel some affinity toward that celebrity. People whose lives are that empty should just send their money to me. I'll buy crack rocks for the corporate types that sit around and think this stuff up. It will be great.
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by stedel

A couple of weeks ago they had Cyndi Lauper - she picked some very cool stuff, old Talking Heads for instance. As for celebs doing free community service for itunes........hmm. Interesting.
Famous music people makes sense. Would've been interested in cyndi's list myself...
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
This is the end

I think that posthumous compilations could be profitable. What kind of royalties do you have to pay on a selelction if you just use the name of the artist? For example Jim Morrison's Top 20 selected through interviews with acquaintances during his lifetime and influences on his groups music. The music of Jim Morrison without a Doors' tune or the the music of Jimi Hendrix with out a Jimi Hendrix recording on it. Elvis' Hit list, what did they listen to?
Musicologically interesting, hell hounds on my trail
It's an interesting idea - the bun fight to get on elvis's list wouldn't be pretty.
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Meriphew
I could really care less what a celebrity thinks is 'cool' as far as music goes. It falls into the same category as celeberity political opinions.
If it at least represents their genuine taste and promotes music that actually has affected people isn't it better than some of the usual reasons that music gets exposure...?
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by enharmonic

Lots of people bank on the fact that numbskulls will buy the songs on a celebrity playlist in order to feel some affinity toward that celebrity.
Who are the "lots of people"?

Celebrity playlists can include some quite off beat lists from the few I looked at.
Old 6th September 2004
urumita

I guess it depends on which celebrities they are and who's listening.
There have been some very interesting people who've made music and have been interested in music that would surprise any fan. Sort of like: Alice Cooper loves Liberace or other similarities. Rod Stewart does Standards an aberation? No, he was brought up on standards and popular music and that's why he's become the artist he is. Interesting? To many yes.
Communication is becoming easier all the time, a celebrity playlist is clear evidence. If you become a celebrity you can make one and then you won't complain about it. Now it's just part of "Life as we know it". I don't like marshmellow paste and I don't buy it. They make advertising for marshmellow paste and I may even enjoy the commercials, but I still don't like marshmellow paste.
There's a strong need for more variety in the diffusion of the arts. Everyone doesn't have to like Picasso (although the Dove always kills me) then there should be channels to access different tastes. Because it takes shiploads of dough to broadcast in any format you got to accept what you can find, which is 1000 times more than 30 years ago.
My Mom gave me great advice once: if it doesn't feel good, don't do it.
Can one say any more?
Old 6th September 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
doesn't have to like Picasso (although the Dove always kills me)
Erm..........wow, how things have changed. I thought the Dove was a peace symbol. Truth in music v truth in ornithology?
It's about time somebody stated this. I had two brown speckled dove's in my garden last year. They are really really mean birds.

Kind regards.

PS. Re Cindi Lauper - I'm sure you would have loved it Renie, some really interesting and diverse choices.
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Many thought that spelt the deathnell for our little industry, but in real terms it has had neglibible effect. The local rec. co's never ended up importing 'grey' indonesian stock and on by and alrge nor did anyone else. Im tipping the proliferation of P2P file sharing systems had a large role to play at to why paralell importing never took of. Statisitcally i think more CD's than ever before were sold last yr even with the advent of kazaa and the whole napster caper..... RECORD COMPANY MOOKS TAKE NOTE!!!!!fuuck fuuck

As for the US/Aus FTA and media content/delivery... well thats for offline discussion

Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search