The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
imac goes G5
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

imac goes G5

aren't they looking sexy ? ........

http://www.apple.com
Old 31st August 2004
Gear Maniac

wow, so they're able to fit the G5 in such a small, thin enclosure. perhaps, then, the realization of a G5 laptop is just around the corner?
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah, and the 64-bit Daw and a wireless control surface too!
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

I don't really care about the apple/PC debate I just go w/ whats faster and cheaper which is usually a PC

but I would buy that thing! it looks

suuuuuwwweeeeeettttt!
Old 1st September 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny B
Yeah, and the 64-bit Daw and a wireless control surface too!
wireless control surface? are you ********? ..and a true 64-bit DAW wouldn't happen for at least a couple years..

..but seeing that they already solved the problems of fitting a G5 in such a thin enclosure, I'd say it's certainly a possibility that they release a G5 laptop within a year.
Old 1st September 2004
Gear Head

Thats one groovey looking piece!

Hmm, perhaps the kids need a new computer!!
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

Shroom,

I been called many names in my life but never "********."

But to get to the idea of some kind of a wirless control surface, think about it, punch-in and out from a footswitch that's by your amp or drums, and the ability to do EQ and effects from a remote device is not all that far off. We will probably see this sooner than you think.

Now, as to the 64-bit DAW, people say Apple HAS been working on it for 2 to 3 years now. They started on the project even before they bought Emagic. People have said they've seen it.

Maybe it's not quite yet ready for prime time, but you will probably see Apple's 64-bit DAW in the near future.

So you can call me "********" if you want, I'd prefer swear words or "forward looking." YMMV

Old 2nd September 2004
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kmshroom
..but seeing that they already solved the problems of fitting a G5 in such a thin enclosure, I'd say it's certainly a possibility that they release a G5 laptop within a year.
yes, so long as oyu dont mind a laptop that is 2 inches thick and weighs 18 pounds-without the battery
Old 2nd September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
But to get to the idea of some kind of a wirless control surface, think about it, punch-in and out from a footswitch that's by your amp or drums, and the ability to do EQ and effects from a remote device is not all that far off. We will probably see this sooner than you think.
I don't think that's ******** at all. In fact I use the ATI Remote Wonder for exactly that reason. I've mapped about 15 buttons directly to Samplitude, so I can have full transport & function control right at the drumkit or by the guitar amps.
Old 2nd September 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Corey
yes, so long as oyu dont mind a laptop that is 2 inches thick and weighs 18 pounds-without the battery
My G4 PowerBook is almost 1.25 inches thick, so that's not a huge difference, and did I say they should just take the stand off and call it a laptop? ..did I think they'd be ready to launch it tomorrow? ..alot can happen in a YEAR (after all, isn't that about the time it took to get the G5 from a 11U size kahuna into a 2 inch iMac? ..something like that....). All I was trying to say was that it seems closer than we all originally thought when the G5 PowerMac's came out (remember all those Photoshop images of Powerbooks the size of hover boats, with almost everyone saying **** like it's impossible to fit it into a laptop? ..exactly).
Old 2nd September 2004
Gear Maniac

Sorry, I was thinking mixing console (well, I was thinking audio signals, like at least a HUI or Command 8 type deal), but of course, you wrote and meant just a simple control surface. ..and as someone else pointed out, there has been, for some time, options like the ATI remote for simple single button functions. ..but I wonder if any company would find it economically viable to take the risk in putting out a wireless Mackie Control type surface (with nice 100mm motorized faders and the whole shabang)? It'd be a bit pricier, and I wonder if any company would feel like such a thing would sell well.

Now, as to the 64-bit DAW, people say Apple HAS been working on it for 2 to 3 years now. They started on the project even before they bought Emagic. People have said they've seen it.

Maybe it's not quite yet ready for prime time, but you will probably see Apple's 64-bit DAW in the near future.

Hm, true, Apple could do this quick. They could easily shift their resources and personnel over to focus on that, and then **** would get done quickly indeed. I was thinking about Digidesign, as Pro Tools is my main DAW, and how they definitely would take forever. People from Digidesign have explained on the DUC that it'd be easy to just port to 64-bit OS, but to actually, really tweak everything to take advantage of the 64-bit OS would take an extremely lengthy amount of time.
Old 2nd September 2004
Lives for gear

more or less this thing is a laptop, and far cheaper than any powerbook G4.
Old 2nd September 2004
I don't think it is a laptop.

It weighs 25lbs (thats without a battery, keyboard and trackpad compared to a 6lb powerbook with all those necessaries included), requires AC at all times. and the smallest model is considerably larger than a 17" powerbook in every dimension.

not that i don't like the machine. i think it is a great imac (better than the anglepoise anyway).

Anyway Apple have gone on the record again to sya that a G5 powerbook will not be happening 'anytime soon'.
Old 2nd September 2004
Lives for gear

...awwww! No FireWire 800! Well, I guess they have to give you a reason to get the big G5.

Hey, tny, you just reminded me how much I loved TinTin when I was a kid!
Old 2nd September 2004
Lives for gear

Shroom,

Apology accepted.

As to Apple's 64-bit DAW which has been in development for several years, they have already put a top notch team on it. They are not really shifting any resources, and Apple is so flush with cash, they don't have to. What they need is for the 64-bit OS to stabalize and and to make sure the thing is easy-to-use out of the box. And, they have to give it some "future proofing" and still leave some room for 3rd parties to make a buck. They have to make sure it works seemlessly with Final Cut Pro, and most importantly of all, they have to make sure the sound quality is excellent.

As to a Mackie wireless contol surface, I dunno if Sanewave and Bob Tudor's team is doing any design work, wouldn't surprise me to learn if they were.

But I foresee something like what David Gibson in his book "The Art Of Mixing" contemplates, there, Mr. Gibson envisons a 3-D space where you move colored balls around with a handglove and see it with some headgear. The gloves and headgear are already here, games use them, and these add-on pieces are relatively inexpensive. Think about the ability to walk around in a room and do some really cool mixing. David Gibson has some pictures in his book, "The Art of Mixing" which should give you a pretty good idea of what the future will bring.

We are in a great age of tremendous innovation, Apple often leads the way, and the future direction looks bright.
Old 2nd September 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewyear
Anyway Apple have gone on the record again to sya that a G5 powerbook will not be happening 'anytime soon'.
Apple is known to keep secrets until the thing gets released. They're not a company that's going to say, "yeah, around 8 months from now," coz then there'd be many ppl who would just hold off purchasing a laptop until then (instead of ppl buying the G4's now, then 8 months later, some of them ditching those for a G5 one). ..but whatever, who cares, who knows, **** will happen when it happens.
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Apple, as a listed company on the stock market, is under some contraints about puffing stuff up too much and then not bringing it to market. Then there are all the other reasons to keep things as secret as possible. But there has never been anything ever invented that is totally "leak proof," stuff always gets out. Like the forthcoming 64-bit DAW from Apple.
Old 3rd September 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Like the forthcoming 64-bit DAW from Apple.
It doesn't have to be leaked, that's something that should rightfully be assumed (that they're making a 64-bit DAW).

..I mean, did any of you know that earlier this week, a G5 iMac, in that shape, was going to be released?
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

The 64-bit DAW is 64-bit top to botom from what I understand. Now, how Apple trotted it around to the people in studios that have seen it== before--- they released a 64-bit OS --- is anyone's guess. But as to a public release, probably waiting for the OS to stabilize a bit and working on some additional goodies to throw in. Should be way cool. I can't wait!
Old 7th September 2004
oh my god they're sexy, but where can i put my mixfarm cards
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 64-bit DAW is 64-bit top to botom from what I understand. Now, how Apple trotted it around to the people in studios that have seen it== before--- they released a 64-bit OS --- is anyone's guess. But as to a public release, probably waiting for the OS to stabilize a bit and working on some additional goodies to throw in. Should be way cool. I can't wait!
Johnny, do you think that the new DAW will work with the G5's and OSX, or will Appledo to the G5 what it did to the G3?

I was stung pretty good back in the day when I bought my G3...only to see the G4's about 6 months later at nearly half of the price.

And will the 64bit DAW be a Logic thing in your best guesstimate?
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by deft_bonz
oh my god they're sexy, but where can i put my mixfarm cards

in you [****** section edited by myself because I would have edited if someone else wrote the same thing too]

imacs are not realy machines fo daws ... not professional daws imvho.
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

From what I've read on the forums, the Apple 64-bit DAW is compatible and complimentary to Logic. It will not replace Logic. The 64-bit DAW was said to be targeted at pro engineers who do a lot of mixing and tracking. That's all I know, and what I know is based only on what I've found on the forums. However, one guy who comes here says he's seen it, months ago, and that he liked the direction that Apple was going.

As for myself, I'm waiting for Apple to bring this hot baby to market, and then I'll let is stablise a bit, before I make a major Apple purchase. Maybe my expectations are too big, but I fully expect it to solve many existing problems and make my life much easier. Hopefully, we can get back to doing the "art," and worry less about the "tech."

Also, I'd fully expect Apple's 64-bit DAW to work seamlessly with Final Cut Pro, work well in a large networked environment, including the web, and work in the most efficient manner possible in a fast production environment. And that, people, will mean that Apple will have to make a large leap over the others. Can they do it? I dunno for sure, but Steve Jobs and crew are pretty amazing people. They have already had such an large impact on music, they solved problems where the record companies fumbled the ball. And to keep that whole thing going, Apple will need to fill that pipeline with creative content and product. Therefore, Apple must build and turn over the easy-to-use tools to both the public and to the professionals.

Apple will also have to create a way for third parties to make a dollar or euro, so they will have to give the hooks and SD Kits to that group to make this a reality.

I also think you may see full support for nextgen chip sets, such as 384Khz, a step up and beyond the current crop of 192K implementations. I know this is a controversial topic, but the filters will improve, and perhaps even some filterless designs may emerge, I dunno. There have been some new patents issued in this area, some include mics with tons of discrete elements or multi-speaker arrays, the thought being that it will more closely track and model a real-life experience.

In any event, big changes are on the way, IMHO. YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search