The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPX100SE, Trak2 or Hedd
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Head

SPX100SE, Trak2 or Hedd

Hi all, I am ready to make another step-up for my rig and would like your advice. Relevant parts of setup: PT Mix4 + 2 SC TDM in expansion chassis, 1622, 882/20, Millenia STT1. I am not considering going to HD because I am "addicted" to samplecell and perfectly happy with what I've got in that department (PT and SC). I record only vocals and guitars "live".

Goal: get to 24bit and upgrade a/d and d/a. I have been considering various options: PSX100SE, Trak2 or Cranesong Hedd. At the moment I am leaning towards the Trak2 (+digi8 ambus + 2ch d/a) which I would use in the following way:

1. Vocals -> STT1 -> line input 1 of Trak2 (bypass mic pre)
2. Acoustic guitar -> mic pre 2 of Trak2 (is the mic pre good for acoustic guitars?)
3. Trak2 on core card with masterclock -> 1622 (and maybe -> 882/20)
4. Outboard synths on 1662 (and maybe 882/20)
5. Monitoring of total mix via d/a out of Trak2
6. Maybe do away with the 882/20

I would from now on then also be recording in 24bit. The synths would remain stuck at 20bit via the 1622 but I guess that is not a problem, right?

How does this sound to you? Is this the best way of doing things with the Trak2? Can I do as good or better with any of the other options (PSX100SE or Hedd) for less money? The main points I want are better a/d for recording acoustic stuff (at 24bit) and better d/a for monitoring.

Thanks for any help, Bob.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Head

Anyone? Jules?rollz
Old 17th December 2002
I've heard nothing but good reports about the Trac2

1) To get a seperate foldback mix from the one you monitor, you should go for the 8ch out version of DIGI AMBUS card.

2) Beware, go to the Digidesign User Group to find out info on SampleCell. It might not work with the next revisions of PT due out next year...PT 6.0 - You might want to move your operations over sooner rather than later to a software sampler that WILL. (NOTE - I dont really know what I am talking about here - see Computer & software section of Gearslutz for further clarity)

Seems a good plan to me..

Jules
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

Bob

I use the Trak2 with the digi ambus card and the 8 D/A option. Might as well have the option of 6 more outs for a few quid more, I'm glad I did.
Like you I'm recording vox and guitar and synths.
It's got a really simple intuitive operating system, sounds great, interfaces with a Mix plus perfectly, A/D D/A and DI and mic-pre's, all very high quality.
It's perfect for me.
I stick my synths into a Mackie 1202 until I want to print, then I track 2 by 2 into the Trak2.
Jon Attack has made positive comments about the Trak2 convertor's, also Nika has one!!!
Hope that helps,
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am more and more inclined to go for the Trak2 (with 8 outs, good advice Renie).

You are right Jules, Samplecell AND Masterlist CD are both dead in OSX! See the digi website. But I am still happily using two SC TDM cards together with soft samplecell and I'll continue doing so until I really feel I need to move on (maybe in a few years). The things you can do with the setup I have are awesome, so I don't see why I would I want to change. I've been doing the upgradewalk so many times already. I feel I have arrived at a point where, for what I need, I can comfortably stay with OS9 and PT 5.1.1 (running on a 1.25Ghz Mac). Going to 24bit and getting good a/d and d/a for monitoring is the only thing I felt was really missing. OK, I'll miss out on some new stuff in PT6 and OSX, but that will not stop me making music.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 18th December 2002
BTW if it is any endorsement, Renie's stuff sounds fantastic...
Very $$$$$$ sounding!

Good luck!

Old 18th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Bob

You may want to look into one other option .. BENCHMARK ... makes a card based system (System 1000) that enables you to configure, in units of 4, any amount of A/D, D/A, mic pres and a few other goodies .. up to 48 channels of superb sounding conversion. The reasonably priced DAC-1, introduced at AES, has recieved a PAL award along with quite a bit of attention from Mastering houses. It reflects the attention paid to both sides of their conversion chain. The Sys 1000 is also very cool in the light show catagory as you progressivly buld it out heh And it easily fits into the budget of anyone doing a serious upgrade.

Atticus .. who is usually floating around here ... can answer any tech stuff about Benchmark for you if you wish. In any case, at least take a look at it. Always good to know what the options are
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
BTW if it is any endorsement, Renie's stuff sounds fantastic...
Very $$$$$$ sounding!

Good luck!

Thanks Jules.
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

It sounds like you already made up your mind, but I'll throw in something about the Apogee PSX100SE.

The price on these is coming down drastically. Someone from the DUC told me he picked one up for $2100 at altomusic.com

I use one myself, but then I keep myself to two channels only. I'm not exactly sure if that's what you do.

Jasper
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Addict

Mike, r u sure it's not the regular version that costs $2100 ? it would be awsome if the se version costs $2100 now. grggt
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

Here's an excerpt from the email I got from the guy. Yeah, I exaggerated the price a little. It was $2150.

And just in case anyone is wondering, I am not affiliated with Alto Music in any way, except that I once bought a PSX-100SE from them.

Quote:
Check this out ....I ordered a PSX-100SE from John at Alto Music for .......R U ready.....$2150.00 ! ! ! ! ! ! Brand spankin' new ,2 year warranty, in the box. I guess a guy bought it for a studio and ended up he didn't need it, never even opened it up!!
_Man if I was a chick I'd Kiss ya!!!! (he he he)_
As you can see, he was a little excited. And maybe he got a little lucky, but I have seen the same units at Alto for as low as $2400 for a non-demo version.

Jasper
PS -- I paid $2700 for mine last year and thought it was a good deal. Hell, it was a good deal.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
I exaggerated the price a little. It was $2150
Sounds about right. I got the same price from Alto a couple summers ago. Mine was a standard unit that was upgraded to an SE by Apogee... has a cheesey little badge on it. I called Apogee and everything was on the up and up. Unit sounds great and hasn't given me any trouble. My guess is that they're refurbs or something. Nevertheless, good price and full warranty.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

2 cents

For what it's worth, I have AD 8000's, Manley 192 converters, Troisi's, the 'Digi Dongle 192 box' as well as the Trac2. Everyday I discover a new use for the Trac2. While it's a very different animal than a SLAM!, they both have a Swiss Army knife value. Assuming the SLAM! is out of the question (it has less digital flexibility with PT),
then the Trac2 is a huge problem solving device. It has amazing D.I.s as well as fantastic mic pres and the digital routing matrix. It has inserts and a full 8x8 digital routing scheme as well as the 2 analog ins. It also offers any number of degrees of soft limit and soft saturate.It's worth every penny (or pound, or
Euro).
cheers,
chap
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

1 more thing

One more thing. The Trac2 also has a PSX100 emulation mode that sounds like.....um.....a PSX100.
It's perfect.
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Head

Thanks a lot for the encouraging info chap. In your last message should it maybe even be a little more positive and read "like the PSX100SE"??

Or is that unit sonically still better than the Trak2?

Cheers, Bob
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

as I understand it

key phrase here is 'as I understand it'
I have the 8000SE's which have an improved analog performance over the 8000s.
I think the same is true for the psx100 series.
The Trac2 has newer clocking technology (the clock alone will signifigantly improve any Digi gear you have) as well as other newr features. I think it is a better piece of gear than the psx series.

The mic pres alone compare favorably to Millinias or John Hardys'. (90db of gain).
The saturation features allow all kinds of compression from subtle to 'kill'.
I think it's a must have.
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

I vote for the Trak 2

BTW, the Trak 2 has the improved analog circuits developed for the AD8000SE, great pres, and other usefull trinkets.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear