The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sample Rate Problem -- Please Help!
Old 30th August 2004
Lives for gear

Sample Rate Problem -- Please Help!

I don't know how this got so messed up, but I've been recording some songs for a client and one song in particular has a problem with the sample rate. I recorded the drums at 48 kHz, 24 bit, but while overdubbing an acoustic guitar, I think the sample rate button on my apogee 96 was set to 44.1 (though it still played back at the right tempo). Apparently doing this changed the song to 44.1 and the only way it plays back in the correct pitch is with the rosetta set to 44.1. The problem is that the computer thinks it's still at 48k and when I try to bounce down my mixes (44.1, 16 bit), the mix is sped up. This project has turned into a debacle. I need to figure out how to get this mix on a CD so I can be done with it. Any ideas? Thanks heh
Old 31st August 2004
One with big hooves

Can't you do an SRC on only the tracks that need it? If so, then everything should be fine when you put it all back together. Either that or maybe just scrap and rerecord the one track that went in at the wrong sample rate?
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah, maybe I will just SRC the initial tracks that were effected then import those into a new session that is 44.1. Thanks!
Old 31st August 2004
Gear Head

I would just bump the guitar track up to 48k & stay there untill you are ready to burn the mix to a CD.
Old 31st August 2004
Gear Maniac

I had that happen to me the other day. I had to go into the playback engine and change the sample rate to 44.1. Once I did that , it bounced down at the correct speed.

Hope that helps.

B
Old 2nd September 2004
Lives for gear

I was able to import several of the tracks into a 44.1 session, however I did a submix of the drums from 48 to 44.1 and upon importing, realized they they were playing back at a faster speed. I need to keep messing around with it and possible just import the drums from the "messed up" file to the new 44.1 file. That might work. Thanks for your help everybody.
Old 7th September 2004
Gear Nut

I got burned doing this one time as well... the quickest... and dirtiest way I could fix it was to pitch the tracks down (or up... I forget and don't feel like thinking that hard) and turn the time compression off (I just used digi's) I sat down and did the math of how many cents and experimented with it for a while... but when you pitch shift something and don't time correct it in essence you are vari-speeding it... which is what your problem is to begin with.

I AM CONFUSED BY MY OWN POST... sorry guys.

Ben
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

I finally got it to work by importing all the tracks (44.1 and 48) into the new 44.1k session file (even tough the dialog box said some tracks would play back at the incorrect speed). I mixed a sample down and it looked like it would bounce correctly--plus it's all in time. Sonicaly, however, this process is probably less than desirable. It's just "demo" quality and I'm still getting my feet wet (as is the band) so ... thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search