The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Patching Mics with Phantom Power
Old 29th August 2004
Gear Nut

Patching Mics with Phantom Power

I have ran searches on this forum with regards to this issue, and as a result, I think I have found the answer to my question. However, I pulled the information from many different threads, and I want to confirm my findings.

I want to audition condensor microphones with different preamps. How do I safely patch/audition condensor microphones while using phantom power? By safely patch, I mean I don't want to fry my equipment.

From the microphone, my balanced cable are hard-wired to male XLR connectors in an XLR patchbay. My preamp XLR inputs are also hard-wired to the same XLR patchbay. The only way that a microphone's output can be connected to a preamp's input is by using a short female XLR to male XLR patchcord. My preamp outputs run to a TRS patchbay where they are patched into the rest of the signal chain.

Based on my research, I think that I have to turn phantom power off of both preamps before re-patching a mic. Then, I turn the phantom power back on once the re-patching is finished. Have I got this straight?

Thanks in advance,
Old 29th August 2004
Lives for gear

yes ,you got it right , the saftest way is to turn the phantom off every time you patch, but i think with xlr patchbay you are safe anyway (unlike trs patchbay when you can have a shortage if pluging while the phantom is on).
anyway, in my studio, i'm giving all the phantom power from a dedicated units found on the live room.
Old 30th August 2004
Lives for gear

I don't want to sound crazy here, but I've heard the engineers at the BBC leave the phantom power on at all times. . .

I turn it off however for switching. Just a sort of FYI thing.
Old 30th August 2004
member no 666

TT bays are generally a drag for this sort of thing [it's why we have an XLR mic patch bay in our joint]... but they are used, and you can get away with them... this is one of those places where you can fry a ribbon mic with phantom power if you're not really careful... but that too is a very rare occurance.

It's usually not a struggle to just change the XLR connector from mic to mic to mic without shutting off phantom power... I don't know how the BBC works, but with desks like Neve 80 series desks, and Trident A-Ranges and even early SSL's you couldn't shut off the phantom power.

You will want to mute the monitors when you change mics as there will be a "pop" when you change mics with phantom power engaged... but other than that... you should be fine to just wail through it.

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search