The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Expensive or less expensive electric guitar?
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Pick
Attached Thumbnails
Expensive or less expensive electric guitar?-bass3.jpg  
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

nick
Attached Thumbnails
Expensive or less expensive electric guitar?-bass1.jpg  
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

stick
Attached Thumbnails
Expensive or less expensive electric guitar?-bass2.jpg  
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Huh?

Looks like these were shots all from different specimens, I´m curious to see the shipped unit.
Oh, forgot to metion the winning bit: 246€
For that money Schoeps might let you have a mic cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Expensive or less expensive electric guitar?-bass4.jpg  
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Sounds like the guitar variant of GAS is setting in (that would be guitar acquisition syndrome for those of you not so afflicted). Another black hole for money and a generator of 12 step programs. Lots of opportunity to go wild here. I know. I have 13 guitars, 2 mandos and 7 ukes. Not to mention the amps and effects boxes and rack. Be careful out there!
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Sounds like the guitar variant of GAS is setting in (that would be guitar acquisition syndrome for those of you not so afflicted). Another black hole for money and a generator of 12 step programs. Lots of opportunity to go wild here. I know. I have 13 guitars, 2 mandos and 7 ukes. Not to mention the amps and effects boxes and rack. Be careful out there!
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Hey Pohaku,

I know a colleague of yours down in Hanover who is a guitar freak too.
He used to bill me quite some, prolly for his hobby. heh
But as a laywer he is a good pal. Rescued my neck once when I had a bad stand as a "bike rocker" against a "decent clerk" who had almost driven me and my pillion over with his damn car if I hadn´t punched a bump into his bonnet to prevent the worst. Got acquitted, but still had to pay him a new bonnet, because the German law is pretty f***** up. It´s international reputaion of perfectibility is a definite misunderstanding anyway.
Just besides.

Ruphus
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

with over 60 stringed things, I am a proud member of GAS. Of course, I cheat a bit with endorsements but I love every one of 'em.
chap
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Chap,

That is an insane amount!
I always wonder how you guys store them in such numbers. Do they dust on walls or if kept in cases how do you store them so that all would stay at hand? And don´t the strings go dead or rust until you are through playing one round?

Finally, ( I once asked the same thing to another guitar nut ... ) How would the thought be to sell most of them except some very special ones and take the money to buy one of those exceptional antique ones? [ With a humidy controlled safe naturally heh )?

Just curious.

Ruphus
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

We bought a Schecter S1 Elite last year and LOVE it! In my 30 years of playing guitar, I've never played one as good as this for the money I paid for it. Great sustain!
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

I know it's insane but...at least 10 are from endorsements and I'm counting mandolins, mandocello, fretless 11 string, baritone acoustic (James Goodall) and 12 string baritone electric so
it's not like a wall of Les Pauls and Strats. A lot of oddball stuff along with the usual's.
Humidifier is always on and no guitar is in a case.
That way, whenever I'm tracking, I get an idea and reach for it and there it is.
You're right, it is insane but in a good way. I don't collect, I play every one.
chap
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

I like the philosophy!

Ruphus
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

Hmmm. Sorry about the multiple post. Everything locked up and, of course, I tried to send it again. Twice. Yeah guitars and other stringed instruments do take up a bit of space. I have mine in my basement studio (which retains more humidity than the rest of the house. We also heat with hot water (radiators) so humidity is less of a problem than if we used gas forced air. My problem is one of my clients has a vintage/high end guitar shop. About 10 minutes from my house. I've spent far more on him than he has ever spent on me. Not that I'm complaining mind you. I have gotten to the point where my wife, in a phenomenal lapse fo discretion, admitted to me that she couldn't tell how many instruments I actually had. Needless to say, I have tested that assertion. And it's true. heh

Chap, what you need is a mandobass to go with the rest of the collection. And it just so happens that my friend has a 1928 Style J Gibson mandobass in stock! No home (or studio) should be without one.

http://www.williesguitars.com/Pages/mandobass.htm

Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of insanity.
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tip. Of course, I'll look into it.

I used to get loads of 'tude from my wife who is generally very supportive. The endorsements helped (But it's free and they pay ne to play it)
The other trick is to 'blend' any new gear into the room and wait until she asks. Then you can honestly say "That's been there for awhile. I'm surprised you didn't notice it a long time ago?!"
Quickly move on to another topic and in a worst case scenario.......grovel or make money with it.Or ' You look fantastic tonight, want to hear a song I'm working on for you?" Maybe guitars bring out our dark side Nahh!

best,
chap
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Sirs,

On Monday morning the postman brought a cheap acoustic bass for me.
That thing was packaged almost like a stradivari heh. I had to cut the case out with a knife like peeling a mummy.

First it had some differencies from what I described above. Neck maple and board palisander. The strings seem old and stained.
Next I found myself sitting on the bed and playing that thing.
I must have touched a bass somewhere sometime very long ago. Experienced a clumsy unfriendly instrument and scratched that division from my mind. Only in the last years I thought I should get somethang for recording.

Now, for general studio purposes a massive body prolly would had been best, but I decided to try this one out.

Though completely unfamiliar with basses I found myself grooving away from start. Came too late to my appointments, because had such a hard time putting it back into its case.

The days since then had been a bit crowded, social things, events´n stuff and so this evening I tried that thing first time a bit more thoroughly.

Tonight the "philosphical" question occured whether you can have joy from an inexpensive instrument.

On the pics it had not been visible that the neck is consisting of fractions. Head plate and roots part are glued. Also the frets are not gently aligned at their ends ( before bindings though ). Guess I´ll be treating them when exchanging strings. Also the mechanics I would say them to be sort of rough winding. Not exactly precision stuff. Will prolly be xchanged too.

And the body is relatively small, the builder had announced already that it would be having a hard time to reveal acoustic guitars in volume.

And next?

Tell you what, that thing is a fun toy, really. You should had heard me groov´n, not that bad, I tell ya.

( A bassist friend of mine had been a guitarist originally until he discovered his passion for bass. Hope that won´t be happening to me too. hehe Anyway, ... )

That dang plays so incredbly well ... The slightly convex fingerboard offers you the strings like cherries on a cake and you flip over the neck like an old routine.

You´d expect a glewed neck not to give you too big of a vibe, right?
I don´t know if the builder uses bone glue, but I´d almost gather so, because it all swings so wonderfully. Yeah, this instrument really sounds SWEET!
And it seems indeed masterly adjusted. Superb action and no buzz anywhere. It actually likes it slapped. -Which has been what I did like an old hand, hihi.

Despite its small body I bet it can be miked up great and let´s see what the pickup could eventually add. The crafter said it would be a nice one too.

Whatsoever, these might have been the most fun giving 256 bucks I have ever spend.

If you´re on a budget and see an instrument from Heinrich Weller give it a try. thumbsup

Ruphus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search