The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Before sending your project to the ME, ... Dynamics Plugins
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Before sending your project to the ME, ...

When doing my own demo's, MP3's, I master myself using L2007.

However when sending my non dithered, non limited, 24bit audio file to the ME, I have had the notion of raising the overall mix so that my peaks in PT le (my daw) reach about -2 db. The overall mix sits around -5 to-8db.

My tracks' signal levels are much lower, around -10 to-20 db. I keep the signal level low intentionally to not hit my convertors too hard and to avoid clipping within plug ins as per a thread I read here 7 months ago.

I know that limiters have their own signature coloration, plug in or hardware. So I figured if I raise the whole mix- even if the tracks faders are +2 to +4db- to bring the overall level on the master to peak at -2db, less limiting coloration would show on the mix.

Does anyone else bother with this, or do you just work you mix and if the signal level is very low, just leave it for the ME to raise despite his limiters colaration?

thanks!
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

the ME's limiter will only start to colour the signal once the output ceiling (0db, -0.2db, or whatever) has been reached
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

anyone else/??
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

as long as you give the ME enough headroom (3-4db below 0dbfs) at the loudest part of the mix, you're alright. There have been arguments about the -6dbfs thing and I tend to agree that making -6dbfs your 0dbfs is a good pratciceto follow, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape if a few peaks touch -3dbfs.

On the other end, you can go pretty low before you start slipping below 16 bit range, though the actual number escapes me rightnow. My average mixes tend to peak at about -8dbfs and sit someplace around -12,-15 or so on average. I've seen soemtimes they will jump up and peak at -4 or something like that and when i tried to turn it down, the mix fell apart by the small adjustment hitting the buss comepressors differently so I just said screw it and left it. I'm not dogmatic about the -6dbfs thing. It's just a guideline for safe operating levels.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

great info man , thanks
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search