The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Powered Monitors - Shared Inputs??
Old 7th May 2008
Here for the gear

Powered Monitors - Shared Inputs??

Hey!

If a powered speaker has a TRS and XLR input on the rear is it possible to use both inputs from different sources so long as both sources are not playing at the same time?

Cheers

RR
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Can't do this on my JBL LSR4326s, so I would expect this to be the case with other powered speakers.
Old 7th May 2008

If there aren't separate input buffers, the output of one source will load the other and all kinds of non-euphonic things may happen....

Pay a few bucks for a switch box.

-tINY

Old 8th May 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies, yeah this is what i thought.

The problem i have is this -
I have a pair of NHT M00s powered monitors and a S00 sub to go with them which i use as my nearfield. The signal path is audient console output into to the S00 input, the sub has a variable crossover and then feeds the M00 satellites. I want to set up for surround so i just need another three M00s and a controller - easy! except in the surround setup the front L R pair need to be fed directly from the surround controller and not from the sub, and the sub also needs to be fed directly from the controller and not from the output of the console - the obvious answer is to repatch the monitors whenever i work in surround - but its far from ideal - anyone got any other ideas here? other than buying more speakers.

Cheers

R
Old 8th May 2008

Again, a switch box is the answer. Even if you have to wire up a few DPDT switches on a pannel.

Are you using a surround processor that won't output just stereo + Sub/LFE?

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search