The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finalizer distorsions on the limiter stage - how do U solve this? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th August 2004
Gear Maniac

Finalizer distorsions on the limiter stage - how do U solve this?

Hello.
This isn't exactly high-end - forgive me if I'm wasting any of your time:

I've noticed that on some materials, more "RMS" oriented than "Peak" - that is, with more instruments and quieter drums, my Finalizer 96k really distorts if I want it to go hard - let's say 9db RMS on a chorus section. I think it has to do with the final soft clip thing, or an ineficiency of the final limiter, making the signal hitting soft clip rather than limiting it.
Is it normal or is just about digging more on those buttons? How can I solve this issues?

Thank you.
Old 25th August 2004
If you look carefully on the bottom right of the Normalizing page there are two options SOFT & HARD

One leads to more mush - (I think it is the soft one)

Try messing with that & also the RMS scale..
Old 25th August 2004
Gear Maniac

Tried that.

The "hard" setting is doing no soft clip at all - just digital distorsion, after what they call "normalize" -in fact, just added digital gain.

The "soft" setting adds soft-cliping - along with another soft cliping at the end - in the limiter section. I will try to bypass the limiter and use L2 hardw. or TDM at a friend's studio - I'll comment on it later.

Thanks Jules, for your time. C'mon, am I the only one experiencing distorsions?
Old 25th August 2004
One mans distortion is another mans "mild limiting artifacts"

It's hard to tell without being in the same room with you.

I prefer The Finalizer to software L2 but then I only work on noisy rock, some folks have a finely tuned ear for distortion, I may well be blind to it as it's often a built in 'feature' of the music I work on.
Old 25th August 2004
Gear Maniac

I'm stuck with this distorsions on more acurate music - balads, pop, pop-dance stuff.

Anyway, I try to solve my problem because I also preffer the Finalizer doing all the digital thing incl. limiting, than using the directx L2 - some guyz are saying that TDM and hardw. L2 do things better than the diretx or vst ones. I'll try to change the compressor settings on shorter attack times - less transients to clip.
Old 25th August 2004
Gear Head

The distortion you´re referring to is mainly caused by the soft-clip function. I never use it!!! In fact, it is one of the main reasons why people hate the Finalizer, since most of them never heard it without the soft-clip (all the factory programs have soft-clip).

Go to the limiter page and turn the value to zero percent i.e. "hard". It will make a lot of difference, especially on sound with a lot of mid-frequency content, like loud vocals etc.
Old 25th August 2004
Gear Addict

Also, you can try messing with the master output gain control of the compressor section. The 'auto gain makeup' can make things pretty hot going into the limiting section.

It's funny but one of the reasons I bought the finalizer was because I loved that soft clip function. At that time it seemed to add a 'sparkle'. Now it just sounds like distortion.
Old 25th August 2004
Gear Maniac

Fact is, soft clip can sound good - on beat-oriented materials, when hiting soft clip happens verry short and vocals are way-back. But when the vocals or el. guitars hit soft clip - is really denaturated, nasty grunginess and accentuated "Sss" , fells like burning... I will try with no soft clip at all in the limiter.

I did a master with L2 hardware and no limiting in the Finalizer - sounds OK, indeed better than the directx/vst L2 - IMHO. But having 3bands limiting on the Finalizer can help to a better clarity than L2 - this is just what my ears are telling me, not Internet heroes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search