The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How would you organize this set-up? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th May 2008
Here for the gear

How would you organize this set-up?

Hello folks,

Can you provide me with suggestions how to decide what the best (most effecient) way of connecting the cables and work would be?
I'm still in the middle of getting my new equipment installed and therefor I need some advise. The situation is as follows:

Recording room:

4 standard mics and a stereo pair of mics

Controleroom:
32 channel 8 bus mixer (Toft ATB)
16 channel I/O for the Computer (Multiface & Fireface 800)
4 channel headamp. (Samson)
2 channel mic pre-amp (Avalon 2022 AD)
2 channel tube compr./lim./eq. (Avalon VP 747 SP)
2 channel reverb (Bricasti)
2 channel multieffect (M-One)
4 output channel comming from 2 synth.modules (JV1080&MRrack)

What I do not have and also don't know how to choose:
- Patchbay(s) (do I need more than one?)
- Snake
- Stagebox

A few things I would like to realize (but don't know if it makes any sence):
- using 8 mixerchannels for drumsounds (BFD2&EZdrummer)
- using 2 mixerchannels for the return of the reverb
- being able to route different kinds of effect to each channel of the
Samson h.phoneamp. as I would like to deliver each singer/musician
the amount of effect he/she wants
- being able to use the M-One for e-guitar

Any suggestion is very much appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.
pedwin

p.s. please don't look at the amateuristic way of discribing the components.
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedwin View Post
Any suggestion is very much appreaciated.

if you're anything like me, you will rewire and reorganize the flow every month or two as your process evolves.

so my suggestion is to just start patching stuff together and get to work. your working style will decide how things need to be hooked up, how i or anyone else would do it won't be terribly instructive.

enjoy all the channels, consoles are a blast!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

Get enough patchbay and snakes etc. to let everything be patched to everything else as you please. After spending all that on goodies the last thing you want is your hands tied.
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Controleroom:
32 channel 8 bus mixer (Toft ATB)
16 channel I/O for the Computer (Multiface & Fireface 800)
4 channel headamp. (Samson)
2 channel mic pre-amp (Avalon 2022 AD)
2 channel tube compr./lim./eq. (Avalon VP 747 SP)
2 channel reverb (Bricasti)
2 channel multieffect (M-One)
4 output channel comming from 2 synth.modules (JV1080&MRrack)
Do I understand that right???
You have bought all this and you have no clue how you can set up this.
Also I see you bought a 4000$ reverb unit.

So I guess it would help you in this case to train first ITB.
And later go and mix OTB.....

I do not like to mess around.
I believe that this would be the better way of learning for you!!!!
The console I would use as outlook to see what signal flow means.

Than I would go after maybe 2 years and integrate the nice reverb to my setup.
And later much later the desk....

Why I am saying this...

I know that a beginner is confused most time having one Outboard-Desk and one Virtual-Desk in the Computer. Myself when I started tried it and was frustrated and confused.... because I was not that far in the learning process to make the right decisions.

just my 2 cents...
Old 6th May 2008
Here for the gear

Hire somebody

hooking it up can sometimes be more difficult then working all the equipment. Think of your patch bay like as if all the i/o of your gear is now lined up in front of you and all you have to do is connect the dots.

make sure you make a chart of your patchbay. you will thank me later and as many snakes as you can afford. All those loose wires can drive you crazy.

the funny thing about hooking up gear is that sometimes even hooking it up wrong the gear will still work but maybe not the way it was meant. Sidechains, Sends and Returns maybe confusing and with good reason because signal flow can be routed many different ways.

not to mention once all that is hooked up you have to do a diagnostic check to make sure its all up and running and sounding right.

good luck
Old 6th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Do I understand that right???
You have bought all this and you have no clue how you can set up this.
Also I see you bought a 4000$ reverb unit. . . .
I can imagine that you think this way. I did not think about explaining the reason why I how it came that I bought all this. Maybe I should have. Just let me take a walk with my dog who is right now waiting for me like . Will come back a.s.a.p.

cheers,
pediwn

Last edited by pedwin; 6th May 2008 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: as allways, bad spelling and choice of words
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

If you have only 2 external pre-amps and a 32 desk, theres seems to be no reason for a patchbay. Why a 32 desk and a 16 IO for your computer. Do you sum a lot of the tracks with the 32 channel desk?
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixingguru View Post
hooking it up can sometimes be more difficult then working all the equipment. Think of your patch bay like as if all the i/o of your gear is now lined up in front of you and all you have to do is connect the dots.

make sure you make a chart of your patchbay. you will thank me later and as many snakes as you can afford. All those loose wires can drive you crazy.

the funny thing about hooking up gear is that sometimes even hooking it up wrong the gear will still work but maybe not the way it was meant. Sidechains, Sends and Returns maybe confusing and with good reason because signal flow can be routed many different ways.

not to mention once all that is hooked up you have to do a diagnostic check to make sure its all up and running and sounding right.

good luck
?...Its not that hard to set up a patchbay. Learning how isn't hard too. I could set up 4-5 patchbays full by myself.
Old 6th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
dylansmale If you have only 2 external pre-amps and a 32 desk, theres seems to be no reason for a patchbay. Why a 32 desk and a 16 IO for your computer. Do you sum a lot of the tracks with the 32 channel desk?
Thanks, that's good to know that I can just leave out the pbay. I was only thinking about it (the pbay) due to being flexible to route the signal flow as I thought this would help to to be prepared to wishes of different musicians and their kind of musicstyle.

At first ordered the 24 channel version but than the retailer offered me the 32 channel (2nd hand and 5 months old) for only 150 buks more and full service guarantee. So I could not resist. I want to sum a lot of the tracks on the desc. Don't know if this is the best way to learn and it may not be very efficient. Any ideas??

cheers,
pedwin
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

I think its efficient in its own way. From there I would start getting more pre-amps and then a patchbay.

theres tons of things to get after that, it would have to be toss up from where I'm seeing this thread

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search