Lives for gear

The "don't laugh" clause

I see this expression cropping up here.

No shame in cheap gear!!!!

tut
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Addict

Shame? How about guilt?

Nothing wrong with cheap gear as long as it does what you want it to do. My offense is buying BAD gear/crap gear because I was to cheap to buy good gear...

Jules forgive me for I have sinned... mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...
Old 14th December 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

The Don't Laugh Clause..
Well if cheap gear gives laughter ..I'm a comedian
I agree theres no shame in "cost effective gear" LOL..
Just do good work with it !I look at it this way.If you work really hard to get it to sound great,when you move up you{in gear}will be more discriminateing{sp?}Because you had to fight to get anything usable with it ,that mentality continues even when I get "better" gear..But I'm never satisfied ..I'm always looking for sonic nervana..
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Nut

Nice to be in the company of cheap slutz.
Old 17th December 2002
One with big hooves

I've got no problem with cheap gear as long as it's not as cheap as it is cheap. If it sounds good or interesting and is usable it's great. I've heard too many bad recordings done on expensive stuff and too many good one's made on cheap stuff to make judgements like that. But, the good stuff does make it easier to get good sounds.
Old 17th December 2002
Here for the gear

Oy...my one embarassment is buying a Behringer mixer because I needed an extra 6 channels to submix into the main inputs, and I needed it immediately, and I only could scrounge up $100. I considered briefly returning it to GuitarMart, chalking up a few extra bucks, and getting a used Mackie...but in the end, I didn't. Because while it doesn't sound *good,* it does get the job done, and no-one I work with gives a rats ass if I pipe their extra drums through a Behinger or a 1:72 gold-plated Ferrari model kit, as long as it doesn't sound liek it was recorded on a radio shack crystal radio kit.

So while I blush miserably when forced to reveal this particular piece of gear, I still use it, and it still works.

The point? Um.. OK. The point is I have no real desire to laugh at someone with "suboptimal gear" anymore than I have respect for anyone who does do so. Yes, there is bad gear, but sometimes even the most average of us ends up with it--there's no reason to berate or be berated because of it. But I think just as often as not, the "don't laugh" clause is invoked out of self-humour as it is a genuine fear of being undermined.
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

i would rather..on any day...at any time ...RATHER have 'suboptimal gear' than a suboptimal ear..!!......so ,for me, i use what i got...its what i can afford at this time...but my bet is i use it as well or better than the cheep-assed manufacturers ever thought was possible....of course high end gear is essential for highend recordings and for many hours of snag-free usage...thats a given....i listen to the noises i record with a critical ear and know without a doubt that given a much larger budget for gear it would make the task 100% easier...but then theres the little voice inside that reminds me to appreciate the job at its worth and that quality can be had through patience and care and application of real learned talent with regards to recording arts....and then theres the big noisy voice that shouts to me...HEY...SLUT....BUY ME A FREEKIN__________....(fill in the blank with $$$$)....oooooh i feel sooo dirtyyyyy.....slutty
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear