The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog vs. digital summing comparison ( in German)
Old 20th August 2004
Lives for gear

Analog vs. digital summing comparison ( in German)

Very interesting ( only in German )

http://www.dangerousmusic.de/refs/Xoundfazit.pdf
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

thanks for the link, but i am a little bit tired of all kinds of people talking/writing bout external summing....can´t anybody put up files that we can actually listen to, compare, and make our own judgement? does anyone have a link to a mix done itb and externally summed? can´t be too difficult....

rock on,
P.
Old 28th August 2004

I'm guessing nobody posts this because the difference isn't that much. If all the reviews say it's great, maybe they can sell you something before you hear it.

-tINY

Old 28th August 2004
Lives for gear

Reviews are like roadmaps.
They are helpful.
But don´t make travelling redundant

This particular comparison is a very detailed map

Old 28th August 2004
Lives for gear

I need a map...
Old 28th August 2004
Lives for gear

External summing is not a hyped up concept when done right. The boys at Dangerous know their stuff bigtime. I've been using their system (including the D2B) for a long time and the differences are quite real. For one thing, you can patch things so that all of your cool analog gear
is back in action while mixing. Secondly, it eliminates a crowded mix buss by spreading the conversion job around to 16 out puts instead of 2.

Greg Calbi (Sterling Sound) turned me on to this a few years ago. We were mastering a record and he pushed a button and my jaw dropped.
I asked him to repeat what he had done.
Then, I asked him where I could buy the unit.
The rest, for me, is history. Checks were flying and I came home with the box.
best,
chap
Old 30th August 2004
Lives for gear

chap, are u trying to sh*t me? he pressed the "magic button" in a MASTERING session? a 16 channel summing device in a MASTERING STUDIO? please explain! or better, if you are using the device a lot, can you bounce me a mix digitally and then through analog (not using any analog hardware in the inserts)? I am DYING to hear the difference everybody is talking about!

thanks & rock on,
Pat
Old 31st August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by WildCowboys
chap, are u trying to sh*t me? he pressed the "magic button" in a MASTERING session? a 16 channel summing device in a MASTERING STUDIO? please explain! or better, if you are using the device a lot, can you bounce me a mix digitally and then through analog (not using any analog hardware in the inserts)? I am DYING to hear the difference everybody is talking about!

thanks & rock on,
Pat
There's definitely a difference with the D2B and whether you like it or not I think depends on whether you like the sound of your D/A converters going through the IC's of the D2B, out its amplifier and transformer then back through whatever D/A you're using. The answer will be different for everybody. I don't think it has much to do with curing any perceived problems with digital summing, nor do I think you can make any general conclusions about analog versus digital summing based on what this box does.

Furthermore, you can't objectively compare the D2b to ITB mixing by using the same mix for both. You have to mix differently to maximize the effectiveness of the D2B.

Chap, I too am puzzled about how it would be used in a mastering studio. Were you mastering from stems? What converters were you using?

-R
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

Hey R.......Back from China?

Good guess about the stems. After that project,
every CD that we've done since has been mastered with stems through the D2B.
He asked me to go to the Tape Op convention
next year to help explain it because he loves to work that way.

He was using it to re analog the 2 tracks coming from his dB's (Lavry's). It was that simple.
I left the session with the D2B and a new friend in Chris Muth.

Mr' C is coming here this weekend to hear the new Apogee X series. Don't be surprised if he orders a set. I got him with Big Ben but I ended up buying the whole Dangerous product line.

Anyways, there is no magic button but the D2B is amazing for the way that I work and mix.
Better imaging and a much more solid, low end center.
I thin R got a bum demo and I don't know if he's heard it properly demonstrated. R, you're up. Have you? Hope the trip went well.
best,
chap
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

good lord! that was post number 500! I have no life.
chap
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chap

Anyways, there is no magic button but the D2B is amazing for the way that I work and mix.
Better imaging and a much more solid, low end center.
I thin R got a bum demo and I don't know if he's heard it properly demonstrated. R, you're up. Have you? Hope the trip went well.
best,
chap [/B]
Yeah, I'm fooling with one now. You know, every time you go through additional analog circuitry you pay a price, and that's what I'm struggling with. Strictly a cost/benefits analysis.

Speaking of China, one of the pieces I mixed on the D2B was used as a Chinese promo for the Athens Olympics, and by jove, it sounded pretty good coming out of tv speakers off the satellite from god-knows-how-many thousands of miles away.

There, how's that for a quasi endorsement. (and you're right, I got a bum demo--hopefully they've corrected it for San Francisco.)

take care,
-R
Old 1st September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
good lord! that was post number 500! I have no life.
chap
Dear 500,

This IS your life.

Best regards,

Old 5th September 2009
Deleted User
Analog vs Digital Shootout

This is very interesting I think..
Pro Tools vs. Analog Console Mixing Experiment

Why this is the case : http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...ixer_26688.pdf
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post

great video!
should be more vids out there with more comparisons (not only using waves or PTHD)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search