The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best monitors around $600?? Studio Monitors
Old 14th December 2002
Here for the gear

Best monitors around $600??

Hi,

I know this topic is probably pretty beat to death but I am trying to put a small home studio together and was hoping for some help with a set of good monitors. I have read about the Event 20/20s and they seem like they might be nice. Somebody also pointed out the KRK Rokits? I realize that auditioning the monitors is the only way to really tell but I was hoping to narrow down some choice from hearing from the experts first. I have a Crown D-75A amp that I could use to power them unless the concensus is to buy powered. I will be recording/mixing blues/rock/jazz type combos.

Thanks for any help!!

Keith

Great forum by the way!!

By the way- Hi Jay, fellow RMMPer!
Old 14th December 2002
One with big hooves

The 20/20's work. Some people really don't like them, I've never had a problem with them. I've never been too impressed with KRK stuff, not enough bottom and too bright for my tastes. Maybe the Dynaudio BM5's if you can find a pair. I also like the Tannoy System 600's a lot but I think they might be out of your range. Like you said, the only way to figure it out is to go out and listen to stuff. Are you using anything right now?
Old 14th December 2002
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input Jay. I am currently using JBL Control 1 monitors. Don't laugh! I also sometimes drag in my B&W Matrix 1 stereo speakers when I need some extra bass extension- the Control 1s only have a 4 inch "woofer". Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks Again,

Keith
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

for that price, you may want to try out the jbl lsr25s or Mackie 624s or whatever that "6" model is.
I tried 20/20's, I have KRK V6s, and getting ready retire those and buy some ADAM S1As or Genelec 1030s.
If I were you, I would wait til you can at least spend $1k on the pair...until then, just monitor and check mixes with as many different sources as possible, as you will probably see equal results. IMO the sub $1k/pair stuff really messes with the midrange and typically hypes a high or low end to compensate for the bad smear/imaging.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

I hate dfegad 20/20's and dfegad Mackies... :eek: I would suggest looking around to see if you could find a used pair of Peavey PRM-803's. Don't laugh they're actually quite good. heh Good luck!
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Head

Tannoy Reveal Actives.

Check 'em out. I'm pretty happy with mine(still learning them). Lots of folks prefer the passive Reveals as well.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favor and go listen to the passive Reveals... I find them to translate a lot better than most of the other sub $1000 stuff I've come across. Sure, everyones gonna have their fav's... the Reveals are mine.
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Addict

see the paradigm thread
Marshall
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Addict

ditto on the reveal actives, though personally, nothing below the price of quested f11a's make me go wow. couldn't afford a pair, so i went with the reveals. and you can find 'em on the net for $649. and i'm not too big a fan of genelecs. i haven't heard the budget adam's, but the the 2a's & 3a's are the ****e, and very expensive.

ml
Old 16th December 2002
Here for the gear

Paradigm thread??

Hi Marshall,

I was looking for the Paradigm thread that you mentioned but can't seem to find it. Would you mind posting a link?

Thank You,

Keith
Old 16th December 2002
Here for the gear

Sorry- Paradigm link

I found the "search" function which in turn helped me find the Paradigm thread. I could have sworn last week that the search function said that the "Admin had turned this function off". Sorry.

Thanks Again,

Keith
Old 16th December 2002
Gear Addict

YEp--- its in the so much gear, so little time section... The paradigm line is great for the money... Check out the titans (200pr) minimonitors (350/pr) and the refrence 20 (600pr) and 40's (800pr)

great line of speakers and easily beats out the tannoys in smoothness and transient repsonse.

Marshall
Old 16th December 2002
Here for the gear

Hi Marshall/Guys,

I have to go audition the Paradigms now. Question though, which would you choose between the Mini Monitors or a pair of the Dynaudio BM5s (probably used)? Am I missing anything by not getting "Near Field Monitors" (Reveals, BM5s 20/20s) as opposed to getting a HiFi speaker or should I just look at it as get the best sounding speaker, regardless of it's classification?

Thanks Again,

Keith
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Addict

Go for the best quality speaker you can go for. And for most of us too, that means the best speaker in a specific price range.

The other thing you really need to be careful of is the amp that you are using... Amps make a HUGE difference in the sound of a speaker...

I've always like to spend the same amount on amps as i do on speakers.... but i know that isn't feasable for most people.

The refrence 40's i have are powered by a Marsh Sound Designs (not me btw) power amp ane a custom made tube amp for the highs. The marsh works great for the whole thing, but you do gain alot of detail if you biamp them...

check out the paradigm thread for high quality amps at resoanable prices (many under 400)
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Addict

I personally haven't heard any of the lower end dynaudio speakers so i can't directly comment.
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Simmon
The paradigm line is great for the money... <snip> ... the refrence 20 (600pr) and 40's (800pr)

great line of speakers and easily beats out the tannoys in smoothness and transient repsonse.

Marshall
Well, they are twice the price for the comparable "20's". Weather they "easily beat" the Reveals or not I'll just have to see (hear) for myself. I'll be sure to post my impressions.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Addict

For me if i were to upgrade a place, this would be the order i would go...

Acoustics (control room then tracking room)
Electricity (balanced power, good grounding...tracking room then control room)

Amp
Speakers (if you can buy both at the same time it would be good cause you can match attributes)

Clocking
Console
Mics
Preamps
Computer
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Head

Do not underestimate the little JBL LSR-25P. You can now get a pair under $500. I was also impressed with the new M Audio monitors with the 8" woofer that they showed at AES... the model number escapes me right now.

I think there's a serious case to be made for saving one's pennies for a high-end set of monitors, though. Think about it... they are the only part of your recording rig that you actually hear. My ADAMs are the most "boutique" pieces of kit in my studio, and they have enabled me to get much better sounds out of all the rest of my gear, and they virtually ignore my ****ty untreated rectangle of a control room. (I gotta get around to throwing up some foam, and not just because I have rabies.)

Whatever you do, I would counsel against using home hi-fi speakers to mix on. Though many are marketed as having a "flat" response, all seem to my ears to color the sound in (intended) musically pleasing ways. I have Paradigms for my bedroom system, and they're a joy to listen to a CD on, but trying to mix on them drove me nuts. There are exceptions to this, and they tend to be high-end, e.g. the mastering houses that use B&W Nautiluses or Martin Logan planars or some other such exotic speaker.
Old 6th January 2003
Here for the gear

event tria

I've had a set of events tria system for a couple years now. I don't think they make them any more, but I rather like them. 'course, I was monitoring through an sblive platinum to creative 5.1's, so my view may be a wee bit skewed....
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Maniac

HHB Circle 3A is an awfully nice active monitor within your price range, it is actually made bya British loudspeaker company, Harbeth. They don't reach the lowest octave like a larger monitor would and they aren't as loud as our Westlake's but the imaging and accuracy is spot on IMHO. I had considered a more expensive speaker when I tried them. C3A's are very easy on the ear, even if you do long shifts.

/Mats
Old 7th January 2003
One with big hooves

I haven't seen the HHB's over here for quite some time. I always wondered who was building them and if they were decent or not. How is the 4-8khz range? I've been using PBM 6.5II's for a long time and I've figured out recently that the reason my mixes always lack energy in that area is because they have so much. I'm thinking about aiming the woofers at my ears instead of the tweeters or something. I dunno, but now that I've put my finger on it, it bugs the hell out of me.
Old 7th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I've been using PBM 6.5II's for a long time and I've figured out recently that the reason my mixes always lack energy in that area is because they have so much. I'm thinking about aiming the woofers at my ears instead of the tweeters or something. I dunno, but now that I've put my finger on it, it bugs the hell out of me.
What power amp are you using, Jay? I'm running the same speakers with an old QSC amp, and it seems to work OK.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
... I'm thinking about aiming the woofers at my ears instead of the tweeters or something.
I don't know if this will make much of a difference for you but positioning two-way near fields so the ears fall below the tweeter and above the woofer seems to work best for me... might be worth a shot.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

My humble offering: For most things, I use passive Reveals, and have them set so the woofers are at ear level, tweeters obviously a bit above. They are about 20 inches away from the wall.

I like mine...inexpensive, and very usable once you take the time to learn what they can/can't do
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

monitors

My passive 20/20s seem to translate pretty well. -E
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: monitors

Quote:
Originally posted by hurricaneE
My passive 20/20s seem to translate pretty well. -E
Lucky you! As for me, bring me auratones any day rather than having me mix on dfegad 20/20's. :eek:

(Obviously this has nothing to do with you and all to do with those speakers hurricaneE! I just hate them with a passion... almost as much as the Mackies! :eek: yuktyy )

Good luck in finding guidance out of that meltingpot of suggestions kwk13!
Old 13th January 2003
Super Moderator

Re: Re: monitors

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
...(Obviously this has nothing to do with you and all to do with those speakers hurricaneE! I just hate them (20/20s) with a passion... almost as much as the Mackies! :eek: yuktyy )...
GroundControl,

I totally understand where you're coming from with regard to the 20/20s, but what don't you like about the Smackies?
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

The 824´s were a big deception to me.. You must have a very good room to translate the bass well. I did everything with the back switches and I also found a hole around 3khz. Take a look ate the REC org forum and you will see monsters like Cedar flats, Bill Roberts pointing exactly what I also felt.
The bass s quite hyped and sometimes you fell a strange ausence of 3khz.
However, Brad Lyons from Sweetwater said that HR624´s sound very decent at 5.1 environment, mayb newer/improved project?

hey, what are the cheapest ADAMS and how much do they cost?
I have benn working almost 6 years with the old cheap good Monitor Ones. They also have hyped bass, tubish mids but translate well.
Hugs
Alécio
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

Steve, like Alecio said mostly. The bass extension sounds weird to me. Sort of fake sounding and not related to the rest of the audio spectrum. "Plastic" sounding almost, if that makes any sense... The few times I had to and /or tried using them, my hi-mid balance ended up all ****ed up. In my limited experience with them, I found them unreliable, IOW I had repeatedly bad surprises. It might well be me, but other monitors have proven much more usable to me from the get go.

BTW, your truck looks supadupa!
Old 13th January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa
The 824´s were a big deception to me.. You must have a very good room to translate the bass well. I did everything with the back switches and I also found a hole around 3khz. Take a look ate the REC org forum and you will see monsters like Cedar flats, Bill Roberts pointing exactly what I also felt.
The bass s quite hyped and sometimes you fell a strange ausence of 3khz.
I don't have problems with the low end of the 824's. When it seems like there's too much it's just about right. I listen to them to get an idea of what's going on down there. Mic bumps, pops, tom mud and whatever. That 3khz hole does bug me though. If that wasn't there I could mix on just those. Yeah, I kind of miss the Monitor One's. For as bad as they sounded they always translated well. Go figure. I use Tannoy PBM 6.5's and they usually translate well. I was having a problem with the 5-8khz range but that seemed to get better when I flipped them over so the tweeters aren't aimed at my ear. Time will tell though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search