The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What was your first multitrack recorder? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

What was your first multitrack recorder?

Mine was a Tascam 414 MKII 4 track cassette.
I remember wondering what all the knobs were for...

Chris
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Does Sound on Sound count
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

1st one was a 1/4 " tape based tascam 8 track all in one ( forgot the name ) . it provided 8 mixer channels with 3 semiparametric eqs and 2 aux each channel . i felt in love with those VUs from the first day i had it , it was big as a monster heh . it took me almost forever to figure out how to place the tape in the right way , hrhrhr
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Oooohh yea. Here it is. The MIGHTY Tascam 234. I really went for the gusto on this purchase.

I bought it in 84 or 85 and it was something like $800. I still have it and when a client brought in a tape he had done on his 4 track a few years ago, it worked perfectly. A darn good machine. Hard to get rid of.
Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

Teac A-3340.

-Jay
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Maniac

hello

my first recordings on a friend's tascam 144, and when came out i bought a 244....i still have something on cassette, mixed on those little machines.....incredible creativity! sometimes i think that
technical limitations can squeeze and get the best juices from human brain!

i remember with this friend, we where recording long tracks of microphonic feedbacks obtained moving a dynamic profi power sennheiser near the different walls and corners of an empty room with the trim pot at 0db routed throug an incredible tape delay (remember those huge cassettes with layered tracks ...tape8 or something like that?), then reversing everything and improvising tenor saxophone harmonics and a fretless acoustic guitar, a cheap fender f35 whose frets i substituted with a wood powder and glue selfmade mix!

we were crazy kids, but i had great time with those machines!
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Maniac

what's that funny thing on "substituted"?

hey webmaster, chech the codes! and even if it doesn't work
again
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Addict

Aah - my first was :
Yamaha MT44 Recorder/Reproducer
+ MM30 Mixer
+ RB30 Rack and Patch Bay

I think it really helped my brain out that it had a functioning patch bay!
Attached Thumbnails
What was your first multitrack recorder?-small-mt44-mm30-rb30-1.jpg  
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

My first "overdub" capable setup was two cassette radio boombox's (mine and my brothers). I'd record a pass on one then roll that while playing another part live . Both of these being recorded onto the second machine... talk about generation loss!

My first actual "multi" was a Tascam Portastudio (Porta-5) 4track cassette with an Audio Technica Pro3 HI-Z dynamic mic. I had a lota fun with that thing... it's still around here somewhere too.
Old 13th December 2002
Pye cassette recorder with mono speaker.

I recorded myself playing acc gtr, boy was I bad! Helped me improve though..

yuktyy

vops! zat vosent a mooltitrack!

Er.... I suppose the 3 Telefunken 2" machines where I interned then. I didnt ever own my own multitrack until PT 4 years ago...
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Nut

3M M-79 I bought from Motown. It was cool when it worked.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
My first "overdub" capable setup was two cassette radio boombox's (mine and my brothers). I'd record a pass on one then roll that while playing another part live . Both of these being recorded onto the second machine... talk about generation loss!
Ditto.

That was all I had until I bought a nu bus pro tools rig. Basically I went from boombox to booking session at a project studio.
Old 13th December 2002
One with big hooves

Some kinda Tascam 4-track thing. I forget the model number. I went through two or three of those before I got my first "pro" deck which was a Fostex E-16 1/2" 16-track. That was kinda cool but it sort of sucked after logging hours on an A800 and MTR-90.
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Guru

Tascam Porta 07. My brother still has and uses it.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Ditto bouncing back and forth on two blaster cassette decks. I was a poor! So I learned early on how to coax friends and their older brothers into lendind me their portastudios. heh Paul, you have no idea how much I lusted over that Yamaha 4-track setup... Later I bought a Fostex R8 8-track 1/4". Boy was I on top of the world! Also got my first Mac 512 at that time to run Midipaint and later Performer v1 as sequencers...
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Ampex MM1200 2" 16 track.... it was like recording heaven even back then as a novice..

The 'Rolls Royce' of formats IMHO.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Teac 3340 w/ simul sync!!
Tascam 34
Fostex E16
ProTools III
ProTools Mix+
ProTools HD2

Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

2nd vote for the tascam 234, i had the little mixer that went with it too.
stupidly sold mine
Old 16th December 2002
Gear Addict

First was the cheapest Tascam 4track at the time, a porta03. horrible crosstalk in the electronics, by the time i'd gotten to track 4, i could barely hear my live take over the crosstalk from the other channels. upgraded to a much older tascam 244 (really a huge leap in quality), to which i later added a mackie 1202. i still find the 244 useful as times, as long as the mixing section is bypassed.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

uhh.....sony 2 trk w/ sound on sound.....then tascam....i think it was a 144...4trk cassette.....w/ a little mixer.....then the best of all the tascam 238??....8 tracks ..71/2" reels....mixer built it...sounded great(i think)at least at the time it did.....then i got an 8 trk tascam cassette recorder to write on while i was out on the road.....then ms-16....what a great machine!! its probably still running somewhere and is still not out of alignment...you could hit that thing with all the volts your mixer could muster and the pres wouldnt even bark!...now its hd24 and soundcraft....just a little home studio
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

Brenell Mini 8

Well did play around with a beocord and an old brenell 1/4" before, but the first serious machine was the Mini 8. 1" tape, cost a heap of money then, but the electronics could manage +15 on the scope so it was good in its day. Used to have some reel braking problems as I remember. Good as it was, though I can't say I miss it. Was a lot of hard work, and the outer tracks were significantly worse than the inner tracks. Anyone else use one of these, it was around 1979?

Regards

Roland
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

1980 Package deal: Tascam 244, Roland RE-150 and TR-707, 1-SM58, 1-SM57, AKG-240 phones, cables and I was in business that same day...
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

3340s (x2)
80-8
fostex b16
adat blackface x3
yamaha MD8 (rehersal room )
sony mini disk mrz 50

PTools Mix + (x2)

PT HD in another year/or so
Old 17th December 2002
Here for the gear

I went from making recordings on a mono hand-held cassette recorder, to my sister-in-law's Tascam 4-track (Porta-04?), then 'graduated' to a Tascam 414 4-track (pre-MKII), which I later used as the sole audio input to my digital "rig" on my computer, before getting a true computerised input.
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

......kee-rist...i forgot the old 38....i walk by it every day and it slipped my mind.....it still works although you gotta jiggle the cards every now and then to get the sync to work in record...but hey...its paid itself off a billion times and its got ten thousand hours on it and the heads still dont need a lap......
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Head

Aw shucks,...

the Tascam 244.

They don't make 'em like that anymore!
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Head

QUOTE: 5down1up:...

===========
"1st one was a 1/4 " tape based tascam 8 track all in one ( forgot the name ) . it provided 8 mixer channels with 3 semiparametric eqs and 2 aux each channel."
===========

>> The Tascam 388. You gotta love the 388, it's really awesome. Go scope it out on Ebay, if you don't know what I'm talking about. This was a pro-level machine in it's day, targeted at the small b-studio or small video post production studio environment, and not cheap by any means. The 388's especially great at home, as home recording gear, and can be bought for happy, gearslut-friendly, ultralow prices on the secondhand market. [I think chessparov should go out and buy one].
Old 18th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

The mighty 388, the coolest looking multitrack recorder of them all!
Have lusted over it, however, there's not enough room at the Inn.

Great to see you here Dave (Reel Person), you're bound to enjoy this
BBS. Been starting to struggle with self-study of Free Pro Tools.
My heart doesn't belong to computer based recording either.
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
Definitely prefer just punching record!

Chris
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Nut

Fostex Model 80 1/4 8 track with the remote/autolocator. I picked it up at an auction for $800 or so in 1992. I would frequently stripe a track with smpte and lock it to a sequencer. I was always amazed how well it worked. The crosstalk from the smpte track was pretty nasty
I recorded tons of stuff on it and I keep telling myself I will transfer all the audo to PT and sell it, but for now it's still sitting in the corner in my studio.
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

some kind of cassette 4 track thingy with 4 tiny little faders and a bounce to 1 track possibility ... can't remember name or type of brand .... probably a fostex of some kind I think ... I got it for my 16th birthday ... 20 years ago. wish I had kept it. was great fun recording demos with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search