The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What was your first multitrack recorder? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Yamaha MT-44.
Attached Thumbnails
What was your first multitrack recorder?-studio18.jpg  
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Addict

Stealing dads gear!

funny story to the beginning of my path towards recording.

As a 13 yr old I knew how to play G,C,D, and maybe Em on the guitar and could follow the "L" pattern on a bass but knew nothing about musical theroy, playing in bands, much less recording. My older brother was in metal bands and my father played in a 60's-70's cover band.

I remember these boxes in the garage that were taped shut and covered in plastic, and typically and kid just wants to open boxes to see whats inside.

While the old man was out of town I managed to get into these boxes and what did i find... a Fostex 1/4" reel to reel, some ampex tape, e 8 channel snakes, and a 16 ch Alesis board with direct outs (not that I knew what that ment).

I took the boxes to my room without my mother noticing and began unpacking. I had also just been given a copy of Widespread panics "Everyday" and "Bombs and Butterflies."

With WP on repeat I began trying to hook this stuff up with a guitar and a bass plugged in and all the sudden I started seeing blinking lights!

By the end of the night I had signal to the recorder and a reel on the tape machine!

The next night I tracked a G C D progression adn a bass line.

Then the old man came home and mother says, "your son has been in his room for 2 days and I think he got into your boxes in the garage"

When I heard those footsetps coming I knew I was in for it. Dad opens the door to find me with his gear set up on the floor and began to let me have it.

Then he started looking around and got a real funny look on his face. It was hooke up right and working. I hit the play button and his face lit up with dismay.

After that he said don't ever take my things, but you can keep the gear set up!

15 years later and I'm still hooked.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

first machine was a Tascam 488mk2 which was an utter piece of turd. 10 inputs but only 8 tracks on the tape so you could either only use 8 inputs or you had to combine inputs. Or you could use them as talkback / backing track which was about the only practical purpose.

But it hissed a lot and didn't do much below about 90Hz, and all the connections were on phono.

After that went straight to a MOTU828 on Mac with Logic and haven't really changed apart from a short spell with a PT|HD rig which was on rental.
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
1st one was a 1/4 " tape based tascam 8 track all in one ( forgot the name ) . it provided 8 mixer channels with 3 semiparametric eqs and 2 aux each channel . i felt in love with those VUs from the first day i had it , it was big as a monster heh . it took me almost forever to figure out how to place the tape in the right way , hrhrhr

The 388? Or 338? I remember the THD number 3.0 @ 1000k @ 0db!!! That sucker was WARM! I lost a lot of my zeal for that unit once I compared and contrasted a vocal recorded without NR versus with NR. The without vocal was killer in comparison.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Dokorder 4 track reel to reel.

Monitored thru my cassette deck (had to be set to record/pause) then into my cheapo stereo system. Had it set up right next to my bed when I was a teenager. Man that was fun.

At the time I was longing for a Teac 4 channel mixer and an MXR graphic EQ.

I love tape still to this day. Not just for the sound but also for the lack of a monitor screen and the lack of "after the fact" editing. Recording was just so much quicker, soulful and more fun back then.

- Cheers
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Guru

Tascam PortaStudio that my uncle gave me when I was in high school... it blew my mind!

I still use the thing occasionally, mostly as a backup

I have a theory that the sound you get out of these things is actually a notch above a really cheap PC DAW setup that would cost a little bit more. I think there's a dip in price/performance as you spend your way from garbage up to the mediocre/decent/good stuff. I'm just saying, I think the 4 track cassette recorders are better than garbage
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

A Scully 1/2 inch 4 track that I bought from a local studio in the mid 70's. Used the crap outa that thing until I got my Otari 5050 8 trk sometime around '80.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Tascam A-3440S
Fabulous machine!
Then I got an MSR-16 which wasn't...
Old 21st June 2011
Here for the gear

A webcor mono 50's mono, in mid sixties!
Old 21st June 2011
Here for the gear

Fostex X-15. After that I was hooked and saved my night and summer job money finally got a Tascam 38. Wish I'd never sold that one!!!!
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Addict

First was a GE dictation cassette machine, defeated the erase head with a chunk of cardboard for multiple passes. Yes it sounded worse than ass, but it was fun when I was 10. Next was a Fostex X15, then a Teac 4 track R2R, then finally a computer in the 90's.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

Ross 4x4 Porta Studio

I am looking for a manual for a ross 4x4 PortaStudio. I am trying to figure out how to move recorded tracks onto another track. Cant figure it out. I bought this about 25 years ago and just found it, and it works good except this option which I am sure I used way back but cant figure it out now.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict
Nostalgia alert!

Fostex 250 in the early 80s. I had a great fun with that. Then a Fostex A8 in '84/85 and a Fostex E16 in '91/'92.

I co-owned a 2 inch 16-Track facility in SE London in the late '80s - we had an Ares machine which was godawful. Effective use of phase buttons got rid of a few hums and buzzes. The Fostex E16 was easily the pick of the bunch.

Have been on Logic since version 2.5.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
What was your first multitrack recorder?-t2ec16hhjhge9n0yhglbbqks3c-vfg-60_57.jpg   What was your first multitrack recorder?-fostex-a8.jpg   What was your first multitrack recorder?-16t.jpg  
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

machines

started with a teac 3340 then an akai 12 track piece of crap then to a 2" 24 track scully.

all gone now. still would like to get the 3340 back - it just sounded great.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear
I got started on a Tascam 4 track cassette deck. Try to bounce that once too many and you end up with a failure to communicate.

The band thought we'd hit the jackpot when we blew the budget on a Fostex 8 track reel to reel and it's companion mixing board. Unfortunately, it sounded a bit dull and tape hiss was a problem.

Back in those days the only really good deck I got to work with was my Dad's 2-track Studer. He built a tube 3 channel mic pre / mixer that was awesome into that Studer. It was like an auralgasm.
Old 12th September 2012
J R
Gear Nut
Teac A3340.
Got it in the early 80s. Don't have it anymore but I still have a couple of the tapes.

Rick
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear
Very first? I created my own using a dual sided stereo/cassette box. I don't even remember the name. I plugged a $19 Radio Shack mic into the "mic" input on the stereo, popped a cassette in side A, and recorded drums to it. Then, flipped that cassette into side B, put a new cassette tape into side A again, hit play on side B to bounce down to side A while recording/overdubbing bass. I would repeat this, flip flopping back and forth until I build an entire song.

Needless to say, by the time vocals were done, the drums sounded so washed out...

My actual first official multitrack recorder though was a Boss BR1600CD. From there, it was Pro Tools and I haven't looked back.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Yamaha mt120! Loved it
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Tascam 4-track PortaStudio
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Tascam Porta 07. Wisely traded up to a 424 mkiii which I still have. It works and looks like new. The following upgrade to a Sony MDM-X4 mkii was not such a good move - it is long long gone. Then I met a Digi001 which I loved. If it worked on a current computer, I bet I'd still be using it.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

Tascam tape 4 track. It was the suck.
Old 13th September 2012
This one, because it had an effect send and stereo return to use my SPX90II with, and the Tascam Porta Studio did not. It also had a headphone cue mix!

wanna relive the good ole' days... here ya go...

Product: Portastudio | TASCAM

Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

Teac a3440
Old 13th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks again everybody, long time since I started this thread!

Chris
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
Very first? I created my own using a dual sided stereo/cassette box. I don't even remember the name. I plugged a $19 Radio Shack mic into the "mic" input on the stereo, popped a cassette in side A, and recorded drums to it. Then, flipped that cassette into side B, put a new cassette tape into side A again, hit play on side B to bounce down to side A while recording/overdubbing bass. I would repeat this, flip flopping back and forth until I build an entire song.
Yeah, this was how I did it before I got a proper 4-track.I had two tape decks hooked up to a cheap Radio Shack mixer, but the process was the same. Good times.
Old 14th September 2012

An Ampex 300-3 1/2" 3 track recorder. Before that I ping ponged between a Magnecord 1024 and an old Ampex.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Tascam 144 Portastudio baby!
Old 14th September 2012
Here for the gear

Tascam 244 back in 1996! I don't miss bouncing 3 tracks down to 1 to get more tracks.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

My first multitrack - two cassette decks and this:
Attached Thumbnails
What was your first multitrack recorder?-3607377221_93e0833287.jpg  
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Akai DPS 12

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search