The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What was your first multitrack recorder? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 19th December 2002
Han
Lives for gear

Tascam 3440 with a Teac 2A 6 in 4 "mixing console".
I still have all the tapes I recorded on this machine.

Peace, Han
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

A Tascam 238 8-track cassette deck (8 track with DBX) together with a Tascam mixing desk. Still have it but it's not functioning anymoregrudge

Next was a Tascam MSR 16. Still working - sometimes I think I should use it again (tape is so forgiving).

Jo
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

Tascam Porta one here.

Substitutetut tut tut
Old 22nd December 2002
Here for the gear

Some strange German 1/4 inch designed for quadraphonic recording, but could be used as a regular 4 track. Can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

Still got the tapes somewhere. Thankfully, I have nothing to play them on
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Head

Maybe you're talking about a "Dokorder"???

Old 30th December 2002
Here for the gear

I started out messing around with one or two tascam 4-track 'portastudio's, but then the real multitracking started with a modified tascam 488. I mod'd it to have 8 individual outputs that bypassed the internal mixer, so I could mix down on an external mixing console (when I had one available...)
I then moved up to the rackmounted version, the 238s.

Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

my first venture into recording was with two radio shack tape recorders.

i used to record onto one, as the "host" of a radio show, and ask questions and play music and stuff, then id play that back, and on the second tape, id change my voice to be a "sidekick" and introduce songs that were playing. it was kinda stupid, but I was 7.

my first multi-track for music purposes was a Fostex MD8. they said it was an 8-track, but the flashcard it came with only recorded 3 tracks of 4 minutes or 4 tracks 3 minutes long. It was red. it always sounded fuzzy. it was impossible to punch in and out with out a midi controller. But when I was framing houses in upstate NY (Lake George, about a 5 hour ride from NYC) and all the other guys were out drinking and I was left alone, that thing was my best friend.

I tried to make the jump to computer software recording, but I cant figure out how to use it. I miss having faders and knobs in front of my face.
Old 23rd October 2008
Fostex MR-8 about 7 years ago! It was red and glorious and consumed almost allll of my time.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Fostex 4 track. I was beyond confused with sends and returns. I simply didn't get it.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Vestax 4-track
Attached Thumbnails
What was your first multitrack recorder?-vestax.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Tascam 414 MKII 4 track cassette
Great way to learn about bouncing submixes. thumbsup
Not so great: tape residue on tape heads, always during the best
takes. I'm so glad that my hard drive doesnt need cleaning before and after every session.
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Takes me back now, good to see many others started the same way as me!

As a kid i used to play guitar along to my old casio keyboard's on-board drum rhythms, recording it all with a crappy mic into my parent's Hifi, then put that cassette into a boom box and play overdubs and my friend would sing over it (no mic, we balanced levels by making him stand at the other end of the lounge!) going back into the hifi - way before i even knew what multitrack recording actually was!

Eventually i saved up enough cash for a Tascam 424, that thing changed my life! would mix back onto the hifi, until we got a minidisc deck! Then went Yamaha MD8 (ah, minidisc) with a 12-input Soundcraft desk, then Alesis HD24 with a Soundcraft Ghost and now here i am today, running a studio around MOTU's, Cubase 4 and computers! Never would have dreamed it when i was a kid. What i would give to find those old tapes from those years ago!
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Teac 3340... fiest 4 track I owned with outboard DBX type 1 N/R... wow all the way back to 1978!!!

after that Tascam 48 then...

Tascam ATR 60-16 then...

Otari MX80 then...

Ampex MM1200... then

Pro-Tools... or Sound Tools as it was called when it first came out!
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Cool Edit Pro. Used a Lexicon Core2 card as my interface in a PIII, which is now a barebones internet machine.
Then I bought an Akai DR16. I still have it, if anyone is interested.
Now I run PT.
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Tascam 80-8 1/2" 8 track..
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Mine was a Tascam 414 MKII 4 track cassette.
I remember wondering what all the knobs were for...

Chris
Me too!!
And even if it didn't sound good I almost miss it cause at that time I played more music...
Old 23rd October 2008
Telefunken M15A-24

The place I started as a tea boy had 3 of them in 3 studios.

It had a cool + 10 db boost for the VU meters that you would switch on when doing record bias. Also if you see the 2 silver parts on top of the head block cover. We would unscrew these, lift the whole head block off and wipe it slowly across a bulk eraser to de-mag it..

24 channels of record bias / test tape alignment and record levels + demagging EVERY MORNING before each session.
Attached Images
What was your first multitrack recorder?-telefunken_m15a_24.thumb.jpg 
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

Mine was
Yamaha AW2816
It was impossible to edit the tracks, the converters were not so good, the FX sucked
but I loved that machine!
You never forget your first love !
heh
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Teac 3340 open reel 4 track.
Old 23rd October 2008
kit
Gear Maniac

First thing I ever used was a karaoke machine and a 4 channel Radio Shack mixer. I was like 13-14 my band had 2 guitars, a bass, 1 vox, and a keyboard that had beats. We would record a beat to a tape, then play the tape from the second deck and play the guitars, bass, and vox together to put it together. It was horrible, but a lot of fun.

Kit
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
My first "overdub" capable setup was two cassette radio boombox's (mine and my brothers). I'd record a pass on one then roll that while playing another part live . Both of these being recorded onto the second machine... talk about generation loss!
Man, that's exactly what I did too! My setup was a bit different, but the process was the same. Very time consuming when you're doing a song with a lot of layers.

My first multitrack recorder was a Fostex X-28H. I bought it in '95, and I still have it. Even after it fell out of my truck doing 60mph, it still works. Great little machine.
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Maniac

My first was the soound on sound thing with my dad's old reel to reel 2 tracker.

Then I can't remember the name of it... Tascam 408? - 4-tracker with a built in mixer. Noisy, noisy.

Tascam 238 - 8 tracker

Tascam TSR-8

Adat blackface

Adat XT - still have it

Computer based
Old 23rd October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibike View Post
Tascam 414 MKII 4 track cassette
Great way to learn about bouncing submixes. thumbsup
Not so great: tape residue on tape heads, always during the best
takes. I'm so glad that my hard drive doesnt need cleaning before and after every session.
The image below is not my actual machine, but might as well be...

That was late '81 or so.

A great machine to learn manual fast wind braking on. heh

But my first ever overdub project was a 'self-duet' (with my then-30is mom as talent) that I recorded at 13 (around the time the Beatles were becoming a fixture on the pop scene) using a borrowed 2 track Sony with separate rec/playback channels.
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Addict

3340. And an old Sony mixer. Anybody remember the original Roland/Boss Dr. Rhythm? He was my drummer. And I had a no name bucket brigade hissy analog delay.

Rad!
Old 23rd October 2008
We are brothers under the skin, Lee.*

My first drummer (aside from the old Roland retro-analog organ-style drum machine that came along with a practice pad me and some mates used to rent) was, indeed, the redoubtable Boss DR-55...

*Not something you necessarily want to brag about here, though. heh
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
We are brothers under the skin, Lee.*

My first drummer (aside from the old Roland retro-analog organ-style drum machine that came along with a practice pad me and some mates used to rent) was, indeed, the redoubtable Boss DR-55...

*Not something you necessarily want to brag about here, though. heh
That's him! It had the 3 way switch for the hat. 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16!
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Tascam 424, cassette, man i made some terrible sounding recordings on that thing. Didn't have a clue what i was doing, but had a blast using it.
Recently, I broke it out to see if i could do something with it, and no, i don't think it was totally my fault, that sucker is noisy.
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntillesSound View Post
Fostex MR-8 about 7 years ago! It was red and glorious and consumed almost allll of my time.

If it was the X-28, I'm not surprised. I used to have to keep a block diagram next to mine to remind me how the monitor mix and remix switches changed the routings.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Hum... a nice rackable copy of the 234 Tascam, named Aria... not seen so much on the market, and then...

a 388 Tascam ! Really good reel to reel + mixer machine !
What was your first multitrack recorder?-tascam-388.jpg
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Fostex R-8 1/4" 8 track with remote locator (with a 3 inch cord) I always liked it and recorded quite a bit on it. Alas it is not functioning at present and the Fostex corporation no longer supports it.fuuck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search