The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum heads Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Addict

Drum heads

I picked up a new Mapex saturn 5 piece not to long ago for my humble little studio. I've had fun learning how to tune it and mic it. I still haven't figured out how to tune my snare to sound nice. Anywho, my question is towards those with a mapex saturn kit. I think i'm due for a new set of heads and was looking for recomendations on what you folks use on your saturns for recording?
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Maniac

For tuning, check here...
Drum Tuning Bible
kinda long but good stuff. A section on the snare in particular.

And I forget which heads I put on. I'll have to check. I remember an Aquariun super kick on the bass but that's about it.

heh
Old 14th April 2008
My drum tech and I generally give these head recommendations; I record 99% rock music (alternative, pop, hardcore, metal, etc.) on mostly birch and maple kits.

Kick (Batter Side, usually with a hard beater):
- Remo Powerstroke 3 clear - for a clean, punchy sound
- Remo Powerstroke 3 coated - for a warmer sound with less apparent attack than the Powerstroke clear
- Evans EMAD - for a clean sound with more deep-bass emphasis and less apparent attack than the Powerstroke clear
- Aquarian Superkick - take it back to the store and get something else (sorry, not a fan)

Toms (Batter side)
- Evans G2 coated - for a clean, warm sound
- Evans G2 clear - for a clean, punchy sound with more tone/sustain than the coated G2
- Evans EC2 clear - for a nice attack and less sustain (great for metal)
- Remo Emperor / Ambassador coated - similar to the G2, a bit more open sounding but less resilient. The Remo tom heads also take a bit longer to break in than the Evans heads.

Snare (Batter side)
- Remo Emperor coated - a solid, open snare sound with plenty of attack
- Remo Emperor X coated - similar to the Emperor with less highs and ring and more emphasized low mid "chunk"
- Evans ST - Similar to the Emperor X but with more ring and resonance

These are just a few choices of drum heads out there; it's really important (and educational) to experiment with different head choices until you find what suits your own tastes. Best of luck,

Cory
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Addict

Yeah the drum bible is a biiig help plus lots of lurking on boards like GS, or specific drum forums like pearldrummersforum...

I personally go with the popular tried and tested method of Remo Coated Emperor on batter side of toms + snare
Remo Clear Ambassador on reso side of toms + snare
Kickwise yeah it's pretty much Powerstroke, Emad or Superkick but you'll need to hear them for yourself as they are all raved about but a few people dislike each one also
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

Remo coated . . .thumbsup

YouTube - Drum Tech Jeff Ocheltree

'
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm also a drummer, and I echo Cory's list. My only exceptions would be to ditch all of the Evans and go with Aquarian (I can't stand the sound of Evans heads). But once you have the right type of head, the brand you go with is entirely personal preference. Your best bet is to go to a non-GC drum store and ask to hear the heads on different kits.
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

I like Evas EQ1 on bassdrum. It's so much better than a Powerstroke. It actually makes your bassdrum sound like eq'd the right way. YMMV.
Claus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search