The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Greg Wells - song "Ur So Gay" -- well done sir!! Condenser Microphones
Old 21st January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
You might be giving her a little too much credit. She might be a Madonnabe semi-shocking her way to the top with her 2 gay songs...who'd of thunk exploiting (homo)sexuality could still work such magic in pop music after all these years.

She is quite the lyricist:

You’re so sad maybe you should buy a happy meal
You’re so skinny you should really Super Size the deal

Sarah Silverman farts funnier songs in her sleep...and she's just a nitwit comedian.
I agree with the statement above.

Do people really believe that she is good? Come on now, her songs are foolish, everything is calculated to hit a certain demographic, and it sounds forced... I'd rather listen to Lady Gaga, now she has talent! I could care less about the Homosexual Subject in the song (I actually thought she was talking about herself in the song), I just feel that the song sucks, the production is good and the mastering is slammed to the ground... If only labels would push artists who really had something meaningful to say, they would make the world a better place again.
Old 21st January 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I agree with the statement above.

Do people really believe that she is good? Come on now, her songs are foolish, everything is calculated to hit a certain demographic, and it sounds forced... I'd rather listen to Lady Gaga, now she has talent! I could care less about the Homosexual Subject in the song (I actually thought she was talking about herself in the song), I just feel that the song sucks, the production is good and the mastering is slammed to the ground... If only labels would push artists who really had something meaningful to say, they would make the world a better place again.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's actually quite witty.
Old 21st January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Maybe you should wake up and listen to what I just said? I have a good point and you don't even want to listen... Too bad, I feel sad for you.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Hehe what a lot of old grumps here .

First off , thanks Greg for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with us , some of us appreciate you for that :D

I am a relatively old fart so I know the song is aimed to be the polar opposite of my ilk .
BUT , I would like to say to the PC brigade ......

GO AND BRUSH UP ON YOUR LOLCAT/LEETSPEAK before acting all offended and butthurt .
It is the net generation , there is a distinction in uses of "that" word , seems to me she is saying ....

You're too GHEY to be GAY , if I can understand that as aforementioned old fart , shame on those haters younger than I .

Thanks Greg , stick around sir *doffs caps*
Old 21st January 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
Hehe what a lot of old grumps here .

First off , thanks Greg for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with us , some of us appreciate you for that :D

I am a relatively old fart so I know the song is aimed to be the polar opposite of my ilk .
BUT , I would like to say to the PC brigade ......

GO AND BRUSH UP ON YOUR LOLCAT/LEETSPEAK before acting all offended and butthurt .
It is the net generation , there is a distinction in uses of "that" word , seems to me she is saying ....

You're too GHEY to be GAY , if I can understand that as aforementioned old fart , shame on those haters younger than I .

Thanks Greg , stick around sir *doffs caps*
Well said. There are some folks around here who take things (and themselves) waaayyy too seriously.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
That's actually quite witty.
You think so? I think it's gay.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sarah Silverman farts funnier songs in her sleep...and she's just a nitwit comedian.
Ah I love all this stuff.

She is cute and squeezable and buggle gum-fun, successful POP nonsense music.

She can sing sweet nothings to me any day.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post

Are you gay?

It is a very complicated and layered message, intricately woven with ironic subtext...and yet, I'm pretty sure everyone of all ages gets it...I think the use of the word gay (or ghey) in that context is well known and rather ancient and can be heard in sitcoms and offices and message boards and playgrounds around the world...still, where exactly did this "new meaning" come from...doesn't seem particularly complimentary to gay people to me. Perhaps we should come up with a new one...what's a good group of people whose name we can "change" the meaning of to insult people and also have a hit song with...ur so elderly and u don't even like early bird specials? ur so french and you don't even like fries? ur so iraqi and you don't even like terrorism? ur so republican and you don't even like being pinheaded and greedy and ruining the country? I guess it should be sexual though to really titillate...how about ur so pedophilish and you don't even like kids...
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

How about :

I can rant if I want to
I can leave all sense behind
and if you don't rant
just like I rant
then you're no friend of mine .

:P

PS . I already did the ageism thing when I referred to myself as "old fart" earlier

*sorry off topic , a few beers and I got trolled :P lol*
Old 22nd January 2009
Quote:
Are you gay?

It is a very complicated and layered message, intricately woven with ironic subtext...and yet, I'm pretty sure everyone of all ages gets it...I think the use of the word gay (or ghey) in that context is well known and rather ancient and can be heard in sitcoms and offices and message boards and playgrounds around the world...still, where exactly did this "new meaning" come from...doesn't seem particularly complimentary to gay people to me. Perhaps we should come up with a new one...what's a good group of people whose name we can "change" the meaning of to insult people and also have a hit song with...ur so elderly and u don't even like early bird specials? ur so french and you don't even like fries? ur so iraqi and you don't even like terrorism? ur so republican and you don't even like being pinheaded and greedy and ruining the country? I guess it should be sexual though to really titillate...how about ur so pedophilish and you don't even like kids...
Haha but I am French and I love Fries :P

I have to agree with you, why would it be good to state the obvious and make a hit song (which became a hit because of mass promotion)? Let's face it, she takes polar opposites and writes lyrics about them. There is no content to her music, oh but you're hot and you're cold, you're yes and you're no... What the hell is this ****? Anyone can use opposites and make sentences with them. Her lyrics are silly... And she sounds like Pink. Unoriginal (goes back to listening to Nine Inch Nails).
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

I give it a 3 (out of 10). It doesn't have a good beat and I wouldn't even try to dance to it.

Sorry just does nothing for me . . .
Old 10th May 2009
Here for the gear

I think what's being missed here is that the song is basically about a pretentious, self-absorbed jerk. I've known a couple guys like the one she described, deathly skinny guys who wear girl pants and scarves, who talk about loving classical music apparently because they think it makes them look more intelligent. I suppose that's why I "get" the song and like it. I personally don't expect those of you who grew up in a different culture to "get" it, though I am happy to see at least a few of you, despite being old enough to have kids Katy Perry's age, retain the presence of mind to see that the song wasn't written with your perspective.

Good work, Greg Wells!
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher84 View Post
I think what's being missed here is that the song is basically about a pretentious, self-absorbed jerk.
Not to beat this old news into the ground...

but how is that a defense in regard to using the term "gay" as an insult...

it's amazing that she can get away with it really...I'm not sure there's another "group" of people who would tolerate it...

what if it were Ur So Christian, and you don't even like Jesus...and the defense was, yeah, but it's about a pretentious jerk who acts all high and mighty and wears a robe and sandals and listens to Creed...
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
Cool lyrics.

Cool arrangement - lotsa ear candy.

Great mix.

PENIS!
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Well thanks for the thread revival. I just spent the last hour watching old Katy Perry videos. My how time flies..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search