The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 8816 Summing Mixers
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

Neve 8816

Anyone know how this compares to the other A/D converters on the market? Whats your opinion on this thing?

For the price it looks unreal, would seem ideal for even a pro studio that has multiple patch bays.
Old 10th April 2008

similar AD card to those in the DPD 1073. Neve have very good clean converters - there digital technology is excellent. I dont think the price with the AD is insanely brilliant - just okay. Worth a listen although I wasnt that taken by the summing unit.
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

well, thats where the situation gets confusing: its a summing box and a A/D converter, so doesn't the poor summing situation interfere with recording many tracks with it using the A/D conversion?!

I hated the SOS review of it, the guy said (paraphrase): "It has its own unique sound with it though I can't tell you what it is, but it sounded better than this product when using A/D conversion"...lol...
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm wondering how this will stack up next to the Prism converters, or other top end converters. from word of mouth, i hear this is a colored converter. idk though...
Old 10th April 2008

well, just because I wasn't taken with it ( mind you I have a nice big Neve console so was going to get picky!) doesn't mean it isn't good. The AD stage is very good and the summing unit very much does its job. The AD stage, as you know, is just a convenient way to get your summed signal back into the DAW - in the cleanest way possible.
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

yeah, one would want to have pre-amps, etc, in their signal chain before going into this. thanks for the feedback
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

last question

so the 8816 has 16 A/D converters (16 tracks to view in the digital domain)...
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

No.

It merely takes your summed mix back to your DAW (stereo 2 track).

Its not the same kind of convertor as I think you are talking about
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

NOOOOOOO!!!! my hopes were set so high, and then crushed like a little bitch. ****!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search