The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is a Peluso R14 a suitable replacement for a Royer 121? Ribbon Microphones
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear
Is a Peluso R14 a suitable replacement for a Royer 121?

I'm trying to mic an amp and I'm wondering if I really need to spend the extra $600 on the Royer. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks -
John
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear
Really? Nobody?
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Check out the Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye if you can. I slightly preferred the Royer for drums (but rarely loved it), but like the C&T much more for guitar applications (use it primarily for Vox/Fender types amps.) I sold my Royer in favor of the C&T for guitars and a pair of 4038s for drums. It's got a cool midrange thing going on. Wouldn't pick it for heavy stuff, but any other guitar, I love it. Also wonderfully well made.

edit: should add this was a 121. Would like to try the SF series sometime.
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear
Interesting - thanks for the reply!
Old 8th April 2008
Gear Head

I have the r14 and r122. The r14 is slightly darker and less detailed in the top, but also has a huge proximity if used real close. To me, the royer is a better mic all round, but the peluso is extremely usable in all ribbon applications, and if you are constrained by finances the r14 is a great replacement for the royer. Cheers
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear
Thanks, very helpful...
Old 9th April 2008
I stick the R14 in front of loud cabinets all the time. Being less expensive than the Royer helps when the Marshalls and Oranges are fired up. So far, none of my R14's have blowed up real good yet, although I've taken down the Royer and both Coles over the years. You may want to try some of the really inexpensive ribbons, since I find that ribbons of all sorts sound great in front of a super loud cabinet. I always have this image of the ribbon twisting in the breeze like laundry...

Best- Brad
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

Used a Royer too rarely to offer comment on the comparison, but I use the R14 a lot. It's one of my favorite mics for electric guitars. Really rich sound and a lot of depth.

Cheers.

Old 9th April 2008
Gear Guru

I love both mics. Lately for more of my remote work I've been taking the Peluso out for my ribbon duties merely because the Royer is more expensive. I haven't missed it one bit and am continuously amazed at how fantastic the Peluso does. I've used it on lead vocals for a smokey jazz record, female vocalist. Lately I've been using it on trumpet a lot. It really excels here. The trumpet player was worried that the mic was going to be too bright. I kept having to reassure him, and I was right of course. It sounds fantastic.

I actually prefer it on distorted electric guitar over the Royer. I wrote a review of this mic for Tape Op, and did extensive testing going between the Peluso R-14, Royer 121 and a AEA R84. They all sounded similar with only small differences. I had to EQ the Peluso a little more and you do have to watch for Poximity effect, because it's big, but in the end I preferred the tone coming out of the Peluso over the others.

But as usual YMMV.
Old 9th April 2008
Jai guru deva om

The sE Electronics R1 ribbon is fantastic on guitar cabs, it has the right upper mid bite and doesn't suffer the same proximity boost as many other ribbons. That or the AEA R92 would be my first picks on close mic'd cabs.

That Peluso can be woofy in the bottom, but delivers a big classic sound.

War
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

Knowing you, John, I'd just go for a 122. It's an amazing mic.
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm using an R14 for guitar cabs here; also fiddle, mandolin & banjo when they sound a bit harsh or s*****.

It's a fine, versatile mic. I've never had a Royer, but I prefer the R-14 to the R-84 for every ribbon use except vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search