The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
false advertising rights
Old 8th August 2004
Gear Addict

false advertising rights

Hi all,

I bought a Tascam DM 24 mixer when I saw that Tascam advertised a Firewire interface (in mix magazine) for the board to use with a computer. They have again delayed the release of this card and it has been a full year wait for some users. I am doubting that this thing will ever be released..

Has anybody ever filed a complaint with the federal trade commision for false advertising on gear? Does anybody know what our rights our here in the United States on this issue?

Thanks!
Jon
Old 8th August 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

I don't think you'd have any luck with a lawsuit. There is probably a disclaimer somewhere anyway.

For example, "Mackie Designs is always striving to improve our products by incorporating new and improved materials, components and manufacturing methods. Therefore, we reserve the right to change these specifications at any time without notice." I'm just bring this example up because it was the first manual I found. Not sure how far back people's memories went, but i remember alot of unhappy d8b owners that bought the product in anticipation of features that were at least a few years down the road. Not sure how the threats of suits panned out, but i never heard anything about them after a year or two.

Since firewire isn't critical to the operation of the DM-24, i don't think you'd have much of a case. Tascam never said it WAS firewire compatible, just that it was in development. And tascam has every right in the world to scrap development on the product. Which leads to some hard learned advice: never buy anything on speculation of future features. I hope everything works out for you in the end.
Old 8th August 2004
Gear Addict

You brought up some really good points that I agree with in your post.
Quote:
[i]

Since firewire isn't critical to the operation of the DM-24, i don't think you'd have much of a case. Tascam never said it WAS firewire compatible, just that it was in development. And tascam has every right in the world to scrap development on the product. Which leads to some hard learned advice: never buy anything on speculation of future features. I hope everything works out for you in the end. [/B]
The only thing though is that to me it looked like and still looks like the card is out according to tascams website:

http://www.tascam.com/Products/IF-FW_DM.html

They also advertised the card in Mix several months back. And they released press releases on its availability last october:

http://aes.harmony-central.com/115AE.../IF-FW-DM.html

I would not have bought the board if I knew I had to buy a motu 2408 to connect the dm-24 since I have a 2408 that does not work with my computer already.
Old 8th August 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

If it makes you feel better, i'm still waiting for the mackie C4 to come out. Consider yourself lucky
Old 8th August 2004
Gear Maniac
thanksfor the info iwas considering buying a couple with the firewire cards now that i know they douht exist i may be a little hesitant about buying
Old 8th August 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LTA
If it makes you feel better, i'm still waiting for the mackie C4 to come out. Consider yourself lucky
Ouch, that really sucks. How can companies get a way with this? Don't we have rights not to be mislead? I just pulled out the mix add "Now the DM-24 really is also a really big 24-input computer sound card" with the big headline "firewire" This was in the May 2004 edition of mix. The whole ad really was the reason I looked up info on this mixer.

Ugh.
Old 8th August 2004
Gear Addict

Just to continue my compaints, I've had one on order from sweetwater for a few months now too: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IFFWDM/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search