The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drawmer DL241 compressor...what up?
Old 3rd August 2004
Lives for gear

Drawmer DL241 compressor...what up?

I may have a chance to get one of these pretty cheap....what's the word on it? Anybody here ever use one? Thanks!
Old 21st January 2006
Lives for gear

I'm digging this one up from the past because I too am curious.

Doesn't anyone have an opinion on this unit?

Thanks,

- Jim
Old 21st January 2006
Harmless Wacko

They were once as common as could be, especially in "mid-level" studios.

Still a great 'utility' compressor for all kinza stuff. Esp. "Modest" leveling tasks and parallel compression.

Versitile and fairly clear sounding with a decent range of control.

Seem to have fallen out of 'vogue' in recent years....

I still use them all the time.

Not a damn thing wrong with these boxes if ya learn them.

SM.
Old 21st January 2006
Use it everyday for tracking and/ or monitoring vocals and guitars. Does the job perfectly well, and has for years. I like it because it's fairly clean, but a bit thick - so it's not too clean. I usually use quite a bit of compression, at least for monitoring.

All the Luminous vocals (Universal artist Lee Nestor) at the www.wiredplanetmusic.com website were tracked with the DL241. You can judge for yourself.

Old 21st January 2006
Gear Addict

About 10 years ago I got one of these and it was the best compressor I owned at the time. Used it all the time for everything. Fast forward to today and I have since aquired some "hi-end" gear but I kept the Drawmer. I still use it all the time. It is fairly transparent and I like that it has a peak limiter after the compressor. You can't go wrong with one of these in your rack.
Old 21st January 2006
Gear interested

The Drawmer looks like it sounds like a DBX 166 or something like that.
But better, maybe.
(Never seen one until I saw this post)
To those that have used them:

What might you compare the Drawmer to?
Is this a VCA based unit?
Old 21st January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley
I may have a chance to get one of these pretty cheap....what's the word on it? Anybody here ever use one? Thanks!
Great piece, especially for the money. It's not going to match the serious high-end boxes, but it is far better than most everything else in it's price range. It's not super-sexy and on everybody's wish list, but that's why it's so affordable. Very useful, general-purpose piece. I say go for it.
Old 21st January 2006
Lives for gear

Expanding........................

Have any of you tracked with the expander in circuit?

Any comments on the expander?

Thanks again,

- Jim
Old 22nd January 2006
Lives for gear

the expander does what its supposed to do, works great.

Ive had my DL241 from practically when they came out, still use it when tracking overheads via my V72's, as the lowest gain setting on the V72's still peak my HD192 AD slightly. I use the peak limiter on the 241 to stop it just under 0db.

also like the compressor part when I want compression without a "sound" like Urei's and tubetechs for example.
Old 22nd January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal
the expander does what its supposed to do, works great.

Ive had my DL241 from practically when they came out, still use it when tracking overheads via my V72's, as the lowest gain setting on the V72's still peak my HD192 AD slightly. I use the peak limiter on the 241 to stop it just under 0db.

also like the compressor part when I want compression without a "sound" like Urei's and tubetechs for example.
I think if you look at the unit closely, you can find an "expounder", as well. It just basically expounds on life, until it's blue in the face, and you get sick of it and kick it out of the studio. heh
Old 22nd January 2006
Drawmer

Built like tanks, no fancy looks but simply kick ass tools, i find them clean and fast, always fully balanced. In my point of view underrated. D_m! i love equipment i understand fully by just taking a quick look at them!Semi priced and keeps their value very good over here. Toby
Old 12th September 2006
Any Other Examples?

Anyone else got any examples of this box? (drums or overheads?) Im curious how this would work for dance beats, im not 100% its compression im after though, i want something thats going to take away the digital harshness, but not leave the sound muffled of pillowy, ah im just not sure how to explain what im after

I listened to some of the luminous songs. I guess i got some idea I find it hard to judge just from the vocals.

Thanks guysheh
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have one and use it in my gigging rack (solo fingerstyle acoustc guitar). I works just fine. I chose it over the FMR RNP just as to the compression. The expander, limiter, and stereo linking are additional features that all work great. Yeah, it's VCA based.
Old 13th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop2 View Post
The Drawmer looks like it sounds like a DBX 166 or something like that.
But better, maybe.
(Never seen one until I saw this post)
To those that have used them:

What might you compare the Drawmer to?
Is this a VCA based unit?
It is very similar internally to the dbx 166. Same vca's, similar sidechain. Same BiFet opamps, (TL072's for Drawmer, LF353's for dbx). Pop in a that 2180 vca and some decent opamps and it sounds pretty good.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It is very similar internally to the dbx 166. Same vca's, similar sidechain. Same BiFet opamps, (TL072's for Drawmer, LF353's for dbx). Pop in a that 2180 vca and some decent opamps and it sounds pretty good.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim,

Are the vca's and opamps socketed? If so, what specific pin compatible vca's and opamps would you recommend?
Old 14th September 2006
I used Linear Tech LT1358's for the input, National LM6172's around the VCA and another on the output. A that 2180A vca was used with the 47 ohm - volts rail bleed resistor removed as well as the 100k resistor off the THD trimpot. Sockets were added as well as local power supply decoupling and larger psu mains caps.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th April 2017
Here for the gear
these are a MUST, if you have ever worked around professionally you know it...

nowadays (2017) they're around 800€ new, and please note they're still being produced and sold... no sidechain though, but is not a feature I really use much
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

I like them on hand percussion and bass.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Check revive audio for their DL241 mod.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search