The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What do you prefer? 2 or 3 monitors or a big LCD screen
Old 29th March 2008
Gear Addict

What do you prefer? 2 or 3 monitors or a big LCD screen

I work on two 22" wide screen monitors for composing/sequencing.

What monitor screens are you working with?

Do you prefer the work with a LCD (40" and more)?
And if what do you like better?

I like to have several monitors two switch some plugins, mixer etc. .... aside
How do you like having only ONE big screen to handle the issue with all the plugin windows (VSTs, TDM,...) in a project...?
(and as you know there are some times toooo many heh)

Thx for your comments & reports.
Old 29th March 2008
Gear Head

I use the Dell 3007fwp-hc 30” monitor with a resolution @ 2560x1600, it’s an amazing tool to have, not yet had the feeling it isn’t enough. (but when I do, I bay a second one heh)
Old 29th March 2008
Gear Nut

Dell 3007WFP here. 30", 2560x1600 resolution. Mine's an early model from January 2006. Still love it. I was never big on multiple displays.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

I also use 2-22" but I could use a 3rd. 1 for the project window, 1 for the mixer and 1 for plugins.
Old 29th March 2008
none of the above... i like a small screen, it keeps your attention on what's important, the music.

its amazing how much time ppl waste moving sliders on plug-ins thinking they're actually doing something to improve the sound.... a good exercise is to save versions of the mix every 30mins or so and listen back... see how much does or doesnt change...
Old 29th March 2008
Here for the gear

I use a Dell 24" with a Dell 19" of the same height right next to it for plugins. I'm seriously considering getting another 24", but I have a few other more important acquisitions to think about first.
Old 29th March 2008
Gear Head

2 19" LCD Dells. Plenty of room for me.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Apple 30" Cinema.

Lovely.
Old 29th March 2008
Gear Addict

Personally I think either 1 or 3. I used 2x17s years ago and I found the gap in the middle to be distracting after a while. I'm now on 1 x Apple 23" and it's much better for me.
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Nut

3 x 20" monitors and soon upgrading to 3 x 24". The way everything is spread over the three monitors and the work flow, couldn't be replaced for me with a single monitor unless it was almost kind of equivalent to the diagonal size of all three i'm using now.

So, having a 55-60" lcd or plasma screen would be useless because of it's huge overall size(especially the height) regarding an ergonomic studio set-up, room size, eye fatigue and safety.

And that's why i'm not getting one heh
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Old 30th March 2008
Gear Head

On my G5 I had two 19" Sony's monitors. But somehow the 24" iMac's display with Logc 8's new interface works better for me.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

YouTube - Alienware curved gaming screen

Would be perfect.

Stephen
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Addict

I use two 19" TFT. One for the edit windows and one for the mixer. Wouldn't want one large instead.
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Maniac

One 24" although would like to get a 30" in the future. Too many other things I want at the moment though!
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett View Post
I can't wait to see the price......looks killer.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have a single 20" widescreen monitor mounted on an articulating arm attached to the console. I use it for editing. I have a 64" widescreen Cineperf screen in front of my center channel speaker and an LCD projector I use for my mix window when not doing video post stuff. It's more eye candy than anything else. It's nice to see the whole mixer layout without having to scroll, but it isn't a necessity.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have 3 17" LCD on my Pro Tools DAW: Mix, Edit and QT preview when I work to picture; when working with music only the QT monitor is used for plug ins. I'm planning to get a 32" LCD to complete the 4 monitor configuration, put the QT preview on that and upgrade the 3 17" LCDs to 3 19" widescreen. That's the beauty of 2 Dual Head video cards; I'm so used to 3 screens now that when I go back to working with just too I kind of feel a bit "claustrophobic" heh. Also, it doesn't distract me at all from music; it only makes my work easier.

L.G.
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Guru

30" HP monitor .... never going back to smaller monitors ...

in pro tools i can see 5:30 min of a project and have all the faders at the bottom ... and about 9 tracks in medium zoom level ...

32 faders in normal, 64+ in narrow mode ...

don't knock the big one 'till you've tried it .... LOL

and 75.00 refurb is a good deal also ..
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Addict

Thank you all for your answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
none of the above... i like a small screen, it keeps your attention on what's important, the music.

its amazing how much time ppl waste moving sliders on plug-ins thinking they're actually doing something to improve the sound.... a good exercise is to save versions of the mix every 30mins or so and listen back... see how much does or doesnt change...
So what do you do when you record a movie soundtrack with some orchestra plugins? Do you think there will be only 10 channels and 2 plugins? Thanks though for sharing your advice (saving every 30mins). That could be very interesting. Supervising your own work hehheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
I also use 2-22" but I could use a 3rd. 1 for the project window, 1 for the mixer and 1 for plugins.
That`s comfortable and what`s on my mind. To get a third 22" monitor or three 24".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRoudos View Post
3 x 20" monitors and soon upgrading to 3 x 24". The way everything is spread over the three monitors and the work flow, couldn't be replaced for me with a single monitor unless it was almost kind of equivalent to the diagonal size of all three i'm using now.

So, having a 55-60" lcd or plasma screen would be useless because of it's huge overall size(especially the height) regarding an ergonomic studio set-up, room size, eye fatigue and safety.

And that's why i'm not getting one heh
Nice point of view. Didn`t think about eye fatigue and about the affection of an ergonomic studio setup yet. For me it`s also the work-flow which would could be more efficient when everything got it`s place and things are splitted. Even if the screen is very big, you maybe still can get a problem with the needed space...

For some it works, for others maybe it doesn`t. Thanks
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Nut

Ergonomically speaking, the biggest PITA having a really big screen(52" and more) is how could someone achieve the desired perfect equilateral triangle between the speakers and mix position.

In order to have a normal and non eye fatiguing distance from such a huge screen, let's say that the ratio of diagonal size/optimal viewing distance should be at least 2:1(if not more), which further means that a 52" screen should be viewed from a distance of 2.60m or 8.7 feet. This also means that the monitors should be that far away from each other. Which also means that we're not talking nearfields anymore. And this is for a 52" screen. Going higher it gets worse.

A quite large room would be needed(and an even larger one) especially if the 38% rule will be applied. In case that the monitors are placed closer to the screen but aligned with the screen, then eye fatigue is almost a certain thing imo as the mix position moves forward. If the monitors are placed in front of the screen and closer to each other so the equilateral triangle in mix position and best viewing distance can both be achieved and/or maintained, then there's the big problem of the lcd screen itself being a very reflective area that can't be acoustically treated.

And on top of all these, there's the height. A typical 52" screen has a height of around 60-65cm of true viewable real estate. You can do the math from here heh Personally i hate looking upwards, even when i have to move only my eyes, and in huge screen set-up it could be very possible that the neck would have to move upwards as well, which i don't think it would be nice for long everyday studio work.

To finally conclude(oh yeahhhh baby, yeahhh!!!) based on my calculations(don't flame me!!! i'm not a math professor ) in a triple monitor setup the maximum workable size of each one(considering of course all the above limitations, rules etc.) is 24". They would have a total length of around 1.75-1.8m and viewed from 1.2-1.5m(the optimal distance) an equilateral triangle can be achieved for the mix position(at around 1.5m viewing distance). And only a very slight movement of the head would be needed, for the left and right monitors.

Alex.
Old 30th March 2008
Gear Guru

Too much screenspace is only useful if you like 'watching' music........still remember the difference back when a sequencer was a pattern-beast with little or no visuals. Or a tape machine. VU's. That's it.Leaves a LOT more room in your brain to LISTEN......

I do use a screen now of course (17" wide) but its ONE, and its more than enough to stare at and wear myself out with....still have to force myself to not WATCH edits to check if they're good but to LISTEN to them....
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

A 32 and two 20's
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Too much screenspace is only useful if you like 'watching' music........still remember the difference back when a sequencer was a pattern-beast with little or no visuals. Or a tape machine. VU's. That's it.Leaves a LOT more room in your brain to LISTEN......

I do use a screen now of course (17" wide) but its ONE, and its more than enough to stare at and wear myself out with....still have to force myself to not WATCH edits to check if they're good but to LISTEN to them....
This doesn't make any sense to me. With a big screen you can see tons of tracks without scrolling, and you can keep the mixer open at all times, showing probably 24 or more tracks all at once. It simply allows you to work more efficiently, and I can't see how that can possibly be bad.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

I use one 22" LCD, will get a second someday!
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Addict

One 24", but would like to have a 30" heh
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemies View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. With a big screen you can see tons of tracks without scrolling, and you can keep the mixer open at all times, showing probably 24 or more tracks all at once. It simply allows you to work more efficiently, and I can't see how that can possibly be bad.
I agree, it does make a difference on one level of efficiency, but there is a loss of 'headspace' to percieve the actual sound of the music with when you are faced with lots of graphics on acres of screen. Question is what type of efficiency you think is more important. I don't need to see every plugin all of the time and with jumpkeys for your main pages one screen doesn't really slow things down. Just less to look at =to my mind good. Watching screens definitely does not make your music sound better.....
Old 31st March 2008
Here for the gear

22" Westinghouse LCD. Love the monitor, but I am dying for more space!
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

I'm working on a 22inch lcd but want to move on to a 30 inch one. I'd rather have one big screen than two smaller one's as i find it really annoying to have the bezel in the middle especially if you have the monitors setup as one giant screen.
Old 31st March 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
Apple 30" Cinema.

Lovely.
Yep, gotta love it.
I used to run with 2x19" but I want to keep my monitors rather close to each other so one 30" ACD does the trick for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search