The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where have all the Manley Vari Mu fans gone?
Old 1st August 2004
Lives for gear

Where have all the Manley Vari Mu fans gone?

Any fans still out there? What do you use it on and what is the best compliment to it. Thanks!
Old 1st August 2004

Still love my Vari-Mu. Don't use it during tracking, but it is essential in mixing. On "harder sounding" sessions it is on the drum mult / parrallel compression duties. On acoustic sessions it is either across the stereo buss or used as a mult/ parrallel compressor on guitars, mandos and any other similar instruments. Rick
Old 1st August 2004
Gear Addict

I just did some mixing a week ago and I ended up using 2 variable mu's. One on the drum buss, which really beefed them up, and made them thump. The 2nd unit went across the mix buss. Very light compression, just to catch some transients, mostly just for some all around color.

I think they're great units. But very colored, which I like.

Maybe because they're not the hot new thing, it seems like they've disappeared, but -I would guess they're still being used quite a bit.
Old 1st August 2004
Lives for gear

I love my Vari Mu.

Usually I use it for the 2-buss behind the Smart C-2 with 2-3 db GR. C-2 for punch and ´freshness´, the Vari Mu for that bit of warmth and silk.
The C-2 is my Porsche and sounds like silver - the Vari Mu is my Rolls and sounds like a nice dark red / brown.

I also like it on vocals.

I bet the Vari Mu is used on one of 3 Masterings.
Old 1st August 2004
Gear Nut

just used the vari-mu a week ago on a mix session. The whole session was mixed ITB, but we ran the stereo mix through the vari-mu set to bypass (the results were then recorded back into the Pro-tools session). I have to say, the results were very surprising! The mix just "glued" itself together and everything was exactly were it needed to be. Much Better than the Pro-tools bounce.

Andrew
Old 1st August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mtsupiano
just used the vari-mu a week ago on a mix session. The whole session was mixed ITB, but we ran the stereo mix through the vari-mu set to bypass (the results were then recorded back into the Pro-tools session). I have to say, the results were very surprising! The mix just "glued" itself together and everything was exactly were it needed to be. Much Better than the Pro-tools bounce.

Andrew
Next time, if you're feeling brave, try switching it out of bypass!.......
Old 1st August 2004
Gear Maniac

I ran drums through one a couple of days ago for some metal/hardcore style music. mixed it in with the uncompressed drums and it was really nice, glued things together, tightened up the lowend, smoothed out the transients of the cymbals. One of my favorite compressors.

matt
Old 1st August 2004
Lives for gear

I use mine and the MP almost every day.
It does what it's supposed to do.
chap
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mtsupiano

Andrew
just for reference, the bypass is a true hard bypass, bypassing the electronics completely. The meters will still work in bypass.
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius II
Next time, if you're feeling brave, try switching it out of bypass!.......
Quite an idea you have there jazz, I'm going to try this setting.

Old 2nd August 2004
I actually mastered that session for MTSUPiano, and guess what I used as a compressor on the stereo mix...the vari-mu.

It sounds beautifu, transparent, and deepl...my only complaint is I want a ratio control on the box.

rock out,
Brandon
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

vari-mu people haven't "gone" anywhere. they are in their studios everyday using them happily

the vari-mu is one of those products that has become a true mainstay. u87, varimu, gml eq, les paul guitar, etc.

there are so many products that get released at all different price points, but this is one of those "clarified butter" products that stayed in the mixture over the years while other products just got boiled out of the equation and evaporated into irrelevance and disregard.

it's just that the product has been out for so long that there isn't much to chat about on the message boards unless you are trying to compare it to something else.

in stockmarket parlance, it's a buy-and-hold blue chip stock.

there have been a few other real winners that have emerged in recent years such as the pendulum and cranesong compressors. i'm sure these boxes will take some market share from the vari-mu when a studio is only budgeting for one stereo analog comp and decides on one of these. but i'm not aware of any mass-exodus from the vari-mu.
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear
I'm a big fan as well, when I get to use one. A friend and me compared it to the Pendulum model (the one with the newer tubes). It definetly had more air, but didn't have to beauty that the Manley has to me. And the glue thing, I didn't really understand until I tried one. Love it. The Pendulum was really nice to, my taste just prefered the Manley. Would love to have one of each though.
Old 2nd August 2004
Right here my friend.

Still rocking the Vari-Mu and going strong.thumbsup
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

I guess you could say I'm a fan. I own one stereo Vari-Mu and three mono ones. One of which used to be Fletcher's personal unit and another that is 1-1/2 rack space and has the Manley/VTL engraving. Drum buss, mix buss, vocals, kick mult, bass. It's all good...
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti
just for reference, the bypass is a true hard bypass, bypassing the electronics completely. The meters will still work in bypass.
Also just for reference, you're a mean spirited prick.

And pretty damn funny.
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by tunesmith
Also just for reference, you're a mean spirited prick.

And pretty damn funny.
oh, come on, i was being serious, unless it's wired differently than mine, which could be the case.

You can turn off the unit and flip it in bypass and it will pass audio (which isn't necessarily a valid test, but I think it truly does).

And for opinion

I love it on slower BGV subbusses, strings, lots of lead vocals, some OHs, and sometimes the mix bus, but mostly on slower/relaxed material.
It is very smooth.

Do you guys always have to run tone to it to re-calibrate the outputs to achieve the same levels, depending on where they are at?
I know this wouldn't be the case for the mastering versions, with the detented pots.
Old 2nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti

Do you guys always have to run tone to it to re-calibrate the outputs to achieve the same levels, depending on where they are at?
I know this wouldn't be the case for the mastering versions, with the detented pots.
Flip the source to mono, then look for the straight line pointing to 12 o'clock on the vectorscope.
Old 7th August 2004
Lives for gear

It's a beautiful piece, but not transparent in the high end and not all that quiet.

I don't really use gain reduction for color.

I prefer the GML compressor 'cause you can't hear it.

2 each his own...
Old 7th August 2004
member no 666

FWIW, I've been using the Pendulum ES-8 for applications where I used to use my Manley Vari-MU... but I'm glad the Manley found a good home [it was a very cool one... had the "Lateral/Vertical" mod... serial #666 with a gold faceplate, black border, red knobs and red meters... we used to call it the "Satanic limiter", but it wasn't getting much use at our joint, and it has a good home where it's well loved now... so all is good]
Old 7th August 2004
Lives for gear

u and your 666

What would you use if you wanted the GML non-sound, but wanted to save some bux?
Old 8th August 2004
Gear Addict

i still find uses for my manley mic pre...it's an older mono model...actually i love the way it sounds with my brauner mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search