The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mixing analogue
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Maniac

mixing analogue

Has anyone ever used a soundtracs pc-MIDI console? I have kinda aquiered one, and am trying to decide whether to go down the mix in analogue route or just keep it in sonar when I go and open up my own shop. I already have some pretty good gear for tracking, an la3a, pultec and a couple of ward beck 460 pre's, so all I'd need to add to the setup would be a few rnc's and a couple of nice reverbs (well, for starters anyway heh ) - plugs will take care of the slack for the time being. I am not going to be tracking drums. I have never really worked on an analogue console before, I have grown up in the digital age and it has been very good to me but I'm just starting to find that it is really quite difficult to nail a mix in the computer and that the bussing sounds well, er, not right. I dunno, it's kinda hard to explain. the computer sounds FANTASTIC with a few instruments, but once you have a whole band going there is a distinct lack of balls, and it's not all my fault. It can't be this hard, I've been mixing for ages and have been studying like a machine in an effort to improve my skills for the last 5 years and, although I don't know everything, reckon that i should be getting better results than I currently do.
Is mixing on an analogue console the solution? Should I go back to school? is the soundtracs gonna be a pain in the arse? is being able to save mixes more valuable than any sonic benefits i might achieve using an analogue console? Help! I need some advice!
Old 10th December 2002
One with big hooves

I used one of those consoles in college and again a few years later. I remembered it sounded pretty good and when I had the chance to use it again I wasn't disappointed. I find mixing on a console much easier then mixing in a DAW. I like having real knobs and faders for everything rather then hunting around. But you could get used to doing things either way. If you have and want to use a lot of outboard when you mix having a console is the only way to go. Some people need total recall of everything, some people don't. I don't, but there are times it would be nice.
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

Hook up the console and see how you like using it. The reason my studio is set up the way it is is because it's how I like to work. You might hate using a console. I hate using a mouse.
Old 11th December 2002
Gear Head

I have a Soundtracs Solo midi console. I sort of got it as part of a package deal with an analog tape machine. I bought the tape machine because the mixes I was doing at home on the computer were leaving me very flat.

Using the Soundtracs as a mixer for the stuff I've recorded on the computer sounds worlds better than doing all the ixing inside the computer......I have a MOTU 2408. I basically mix inside the computer to 8 subgroups then bring those 8 channels up on 8 faders (and I can use outboard compressors on those 8 faders)......I'll use outboard reverb which I prefer to the ones I've heard in the computer...I can put a compressor over the stereo bus.......However, I still can use the computer's automation for a great deal of the moves. It's not too difficult to write down the settings on the console's 8 channels and the outboard [a lot easier than it was to chart a full 24 or 48 track analog mix was]....

So, while I would certainly prefer a Neve, the Soundtracs is definitely a major step up from mixing inside the computer....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search