The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need to replace these UAD plug ins for Audio unit!
Old 24th March 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
I need to replace these UAD plug ins for Audio unit!

Hey folks,

I have just sadly shipped my UAD card to it's new owner. Now I have to replace the tools I have become very used too. I demoed some plugs against the UAD before removing and was disappointed in the sound quality. The UAD plugs sounded wider and more expensive. I know I just haven't tried the right native plugs yet. I need to replace the following plug ins: Fairchild buss compressor ( used for Vox groups)
Neve 1081 (used to shape low end on kicks and bass)
Neve 88RS channel strip (used for everything, sounds great)
Plate 140 ( used for space)

The rest of them I can live without but these are really important to replace and I want a similar GUI, so I can get up to speed. I know there are former UAD users that have moved to Imacs like myself who have been through this, Please help it is important for me to get back to work.Thanks.


Jazztone
Old 24th March 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
Bump Didn't show up?
Old 24th March 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Fairchild buss compressor - Waves V series or Waves API, perhaps URS CSP
Neve 1081 - Waves V I think is the closest, but still doesn't have as much original Neve character as the UAD.
Neve 88RS channel strip - Metric Halo Channel Strip
Plate 140 ( used for space) - IK Multimedia CSP

Buy the time you buy all of the replacements, you could have kept the UAD-1 card and saved some $.
Old 24th March 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Fairchild buss compressor - Waves V series or Waves API, perhaps URS CSP
Neve 1081 - Waves V I think is the closest, but still doesn't have as much original Neve character as the UAD.
Neve 88RS channel strip - Metric Halo Channel Strip
Plate 140 ( used for space) - IK Multimedia CSP

Buy the time you buy all of the replacements, you could have kept the UAD-1 card and saved some $.
Can't use UAD with an IMAC. I was on a 2000 Dual 867 G4 tower that was feeling quite long in the tooth. Believe me I know it is going to be expensive to replace my UAD faves. I just couldn't get myself to spend 4000.00 on a new tower then 2 new PCIE Uad cards when the UAD-2 will be hear within a year.
Old 24th March 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Hey folks,

I have just sadly shipped my UAD card to it's new owner. Now I have to replace the tools I have become very used too. I demoed some plugs against the UAD before removing and was disappointed in the sound quality. The UAD plugs sounded wider and more expensive. I know I just haven't tried the right native plugs yet. I need to replace the following plug ins: Fairchild buss compressor ( used for Vox groups)
Neve 1081 (used to shape low end on kicks and bass)
Neve 88RS channel strip (used for everything, sounds great)
Plate 140 ( used for space)

The rest of them I can live without but these are really important to replace and I want a similar GUI, so I can get up to speed. I know there are former UAD users that have moved to Imacs like myself who have been through this, Please help it is important for me to get back to work.Thanks.


Jazztone
Good luck... it's not going to be easy.
Old 24th March 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
B-San's Avatar
 

Shoulda dumped the iMac... But since you didn't you might want to check into a Duende...
Old 24th March 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-San View Post
Shoulda dumped the iMac... But since you didn't you might want to check into a Duende...
What's Wrong with a imac? It should be much faster than my G4!
Old 25th March 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Can't use UAD with an IMAC. I was on a 2000 Dual 867 G4 tower that was feeling quite long in the tooth. Believe me I know it is going to be expensive to replace my UAD faves. I just couldn't get myself to spend 4000.00 on a new tower then 2 new PCIE Uad cards when the UAD-2 will be hear within a year.
Ah! I get it. I have a friend who does quite well on an iMac.
Old 25th March 2008
  #9
Gear Addict
 
lostinmusic's Avatar
 

Can't you use one of UAs new external card thingies? I've got most plugins under the sun but the ones you mention (Fairchild, Plate 140 and the Neve stuff) are about as good as it gets. The only other stuff that matches it I think is the Waves API bundle - not a replacement, but of the same quality. Never used Duende but if I couldn't use UAD I'd definitely check it out.
Old 25th March 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

I don't think the UAD-2 is going to run on iMac either. iMac is a closed design. It doesn't have an ExpressCard slot, which is my current prediction for the UAD-2 (they are already selling UAD-branded PCIe-ExpressCard adapters).

There's not much they can do about that...the UAD model requires more bandwidth than even fw800 can provide, and they don't seem to be inclined to go native...

As for replacing UAD plugs, fugheddaboudit.
Old 25th March 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I don't think the UAD-2 is going to run on iMac either. iMac is a closed design. It doesn't have an ExpressCard slot, which is my current prediction for the UAD-2 (they are already selling UAD-branded PCIe-ExpressCard adapters).

There's not much they can do about that...the UAD model requires more bandwidth than even fw800 can provide, and they don't seem to be inclined to go native...

As for replacing UAD plugs, fugheddaboudit.
there are people making records that don't use UAD. All native must be possible so tell me what will line up with what I'm used to. It doesn't have to sound the same as UAD btu for lack of a better explanation the UAD's sound expensive. What else sounds expensive and wide?
Old 25th March 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
What else sounds expensive and wide?
These do:

Michael H. Brauer - Soundtowers

Really that's about all there is, sorry.
Old 25th March 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
These do:

Michael H. Brauer - Soundtowers

Really that's about all there is, sorry.
What about the other DSP folks out there Powercore liquid mix mini duende?
Old 25th March 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Beyersound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Hey folks,

I have just sadly shipped my UAD card to it's new owner. Now I have to replace the tools I have become very used too. I demoed some plugs against the UAD before removing and was disappointed in the sound quality. The UAD plugs sounded wider and more expensive. I know I just haven't tried the right native plugs yet. I need to replace the following plug ins: Fairchild buss compressor ( used for Vox groups)
Neve 1081 (used to shape low end on kicks and bass)
Neve 88RS channel strip (used for everything, sounds great)
Plate 140 ( used for space)

The rest of them I can live without but these are really important to replace and I want a similar GUI, so I can get up to speed. I know there are former UAD users that have moved to Imacs like myself who have been through this, Please help it is important for me to get back to work.Thanks.


Jazztone
You can do the Neve EQ with even more flexiblity with the Hydratone EQ. I am a UAD-1 lover, but when I did eq shootouts the Hydratone met or exceeded the UAD 1081, blew doors on the Waves V, and was miles better than the 88RS eq. It also did the API 550 better than the Waves. You can do so much more with it, and the filters are modular, with 5 different models. There is a ton more to that plugin, go to the site and see for yourself. Oh yeah, it's only $159 on top of all that. I don't know anything that does the Plate 140 better than UAD, good luck with that!
Old 25th March 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-San View Post
Shoulda dumped the iMac... But since you didn't you might want to check into a Duende...
So dump the iMac because UA can't move into the 21st century?
Old 25th March 2008
  #16
Gear Addict
 
UnDeFiNeD's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
So dump the iMac because UA can't move into the 21st century?
Don't want to start a I-hate-apple fight, but UAD works with every PC (excluding some laptops) and apple out there...except an iMac and a Mac mini.
Maybe you should have checked that first before buying the iMac.

In terms of good plugs to "replace" those holy UAD's, I'd say Sonnox oxford EQ, limiter and verb, Waves SSL and API, EMI TG. Thats about everything I can think of I own and use that comes close, but the UAD plate and la2a just don't have any alternatives that I can think of.

Pzz
Old 25th March 2008
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
These do:

Michael H. Brauer - Soundtowers

Really that's about all there is, sorry.
oooh that was a good one!
Old 25th March 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
peeder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB850 View Post
oooh that was a good one!
heh

Well you know more about that than I do!
Old 26th March 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
FWIW, I don't use my UAD compressors/eqs anymore unless my computer runs out of cpu. I prefer to use URS CSP on every track. The only UAD plug I can't live without is the plate, I have replaced everything else.
Old 26th March 2008
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

For a possible plate 140 replacement check out variverb from magix/samplitude. very good plates and several other appealing algorithms. the gui is worse though.
Old 26th March 2008
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Can't use UAD with an IMAC. I was on a 2000 Dual 867 G4 tower that was feeling quite long in the tooth. Believe me I know it is going to be expensive to replace my UAD faves. I just couldn't get myself to spend 4000.00 on a new tower then 2 new PCIE Uad cards when the UAD-2 will be hear within a year.
I had a Duel 867 which got long in the tooth also. I replaced it with a second hand G5 with PCI slots. It's a bit of a stop gap measure but better than what I had and meant that I didn't have to update my UAD's to PCI-e cards and it was much cheaper than a new tower.
Old 26th March 2008
  #22
Lives for gear
 
B-San's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
What's Wrong with a imac? It should be much faster than my G4!
No PCI/PCIe slots = limitations out the gate... To be in a position where your ability to mix has been compromised must suck...

Personally, I don't care how fast my computer is if it's potential is nuetered from the jump...

Other than that I think iMacs are cool and better suited for anything other than hard core mixing... My friend uses one for video editing and another uses one for graphic design... I really do think they're cool...

Keep us informed on your progress... Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
So dump the iMac because UA can't move into the 21st century?
IMO the UAD, Duende & TDM formats offer some of the best sound quality plug-ins on the market... If being '21st century' in your opinion requires one to buy a computer that is not capable of utilizing any of these tools, then...

...ah, screw this...

I gotta mix to finish... *goes back to fiddling with knobs on 20th century outboard gear*
Old 26th March 2008
  #23
Gear Addict
 
kittyboy's Avatar
 

I know this isn't the suggestion you were looking for, but if it were me and I could swing it economically, I'd sell the imac and pick up a new octocore. They just had a big update and you'll be set for several years to come--it might just be your music workstation forever. Then you get can get new UAD cards and be set.

Lovin' my octocore. Haven't replaced the UADs from my G5 yet, but I'm just tracking and editing right now and am in no hurry.

Be hard to resist the UAD2 if it ever comes out. Maybe my grandchildren will live in the world of UAD2--a world we can only dream of...
Old 26th March 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
indie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
You can do the Neve EQ with even more flexiblity with the Hydratone EQ. I am a UAD-1 lover, but when I did eq shootouts the Hydratone met or exceeded the UAD 1081, blew doors on the Waves V, and was miles better than the 88RS eq. It also did the API 550 better than the Waves. You can do so much more with it, and the filters are modular, with 5 different models. There is a ton more to that plugin, go to the site and see for yourself. Oh yeah, it's only $159 on top of all that. I don't know anything that does the Plate 140 better than UAD, good luck with that!
I have to agree about the Hydratone being awesome! The 'fire' knob rules. I haven't compared to UAD-1 plugs though.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
heisleyamor / So Much Gear, So Little Time
20
pianoman / Music Computers
1
Hope209 / Low End Theory
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump