The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Snare Drum Head Shootout
Old 24th March 2008
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Snare Drum Head Shootout

8 tracks with 8 different types of snare drum batter head:
Post #1 = Tracks 1-5
Post #2 = Tracks 6-8
Post #3 = Answer Key
Attached Files

Head 1.mp3 (156.1 KB, 8782 views)

Head 2.mp3 (156.1 KB, 7307 views)

Head 3.mp3 (152.4 KB, 7902 views)

Head 4.mp3 (150.8 KB, 6759 views)

Head 5.mp3 (149.6 KB, 6993 views)

Old 24th March 2008
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Tracks 6-8:
Attached Files

Head 6.mp3 (151.2 KB, 6071 views)

Head 7.mp3 (150.4 KB, 6981 views)

Head 8.mp3 (153.3 KB, 6632 views)

Old 24th March 2008
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Answer Key:
Track 1 = Evans Genera G2 Clear
Track 2 = Evans Genera Dry Coated
Track 3 = Remo Ambassador Coated
Track 4 = Remo Pinstripe Clear
Track 5 = Remo Reverse Dot Coated
Track 6 = Remo Ambassador Clear
Track 7 = Aquarian Hi Energy
Track 8 = Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated
Old 24th March 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

nice job

this is great


thx
Old 24th March 2008
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Lots of work changing heads, but quite an eye opener.

My favorite is the Genera G2 clear... bright, meaty, nice sustain, zero boxiness. 2 ply head

The coated reverse dot and coated ambassador are a close second and third, but both have a touch of cardboard sound. 1 ply heads

The pinstripe is cool, but is a little too dead for me. 2 ply head

Having always used 1 ply heads, I think it's time to try some more 2 ply!

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. What's your favorite?
Old 24th March 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Snare Head Shootout

(In Judge Smale's voice)

Top Notch, Danny...Top Notch!

You changed my mind on two ply heads...I am an Evans fan and I have been using G1 coated forever (I have occasionally careened off into the ditch with Remo's...but I usually come back to Evans). I agree...the Genera clear 2 ply was my favorite...Ambassador coated was good...but not good enough.

Jeez...now I have to stop at the Drum Pad on the way home...and I would have gotten away with it to, if it wasn't for you meddling kids! (Scooby Doo reference)
Old 24th March 2008
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
skatingbasser's Avatar
 

Great job, this is wonderful. I was afraid my favorite would be shown up, but the Coated Ambassador stayed strong. Was more focuses and provided a better anchor than the Genera C2 to my ears. The Reverse Dot is nice too, and the Aquarian Hi Energy rather surprised me (in a good way.)
Old 24th March 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingbasser View Post
Great job, this is wonderful. I was afraid my favorite would be shown up, but the Coated Ambassador stayed strong. Was more focuses and provided a better anchor than the Genera C2 to my ears. The Reverse Dot is nice too, and the Aquarian Hi Energy rather surprised me (in a good way.)
I know everyone has a different "favorite" sound...they all sound pretty good...just depends on what sound you are going for...dry, quick decay...wet, resonant "TOONK"...somewhere in between. I liked the Ambassador, too...as the old saying goes, you wont get fired for slapping a coated single ply on the kit!
Old 24th March 2008
  #9
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Love that Aquarian Hi Energy !!!
Old 24th March 2008
  #10
Gear Addict
 
tarnationsauce's Avatar
 

Thanks for taking the time Slap Back!

You should cross-post this on: Pearl Drummers Forum - powered by vBulletin

If you don't have an account or don't want to create one there, I will cross post it if you'd like and I will create a link back here and credit you for your work.
Old 24th March 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back View Post
Lots of work changing heads, but quite an eye opener.

My favorite is the Genera G2 clear... bright, meaty, nice sustain, zero boxiness. 2 ply head

The coated reverse dot and coated ambassador are a close second and third, but both have a touch of cardboard sound. 1 ply heads

The pinstripe is cool, but is a little too dead for me. 2 ply head

Having always used 1 ply heads, I think it's time to try some more 2 ply!

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. What's your favorite?
Good job!

I've been testing a lot of heads on lot of different snares too. Based on your test, I prefer the Genera G2 Clear for the same reason you do. I wouldn't never put a clear head on one of my snares during a live show cause of the look but I'll try that in studio. I just bought a Ludwig LM402 snare, so I'll make the test on it!
Old 24th March 2008
  #12
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
Thanks for taking the time Slap Back!

You should cross-post this on: Pearl Drummers Forum - powered by vBulletin

If you don't have an account or don't want to create one there, I will cross post it if you'd like and I will create a link back here and credit you for your work.
Yes, please go ahead and cross post this. Please leave a link here as well so I can find it. Very nice of you.

It would also be cool to put this in the GS Drums Sub-Forum. Do I just start a new thread over there with a link to this one, or is there a better way?
Old 24th March 2008
  #13
The Aquarian high energy kicks ass!! The best part besides the sound is that it lasts forever!!

I have been using them on my black beauty for a while now. I like the Remo CS Ambassador as well.
Old 24th March 2008
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Good job!

I've been testing a lot of heads on lot of different snares too. Based on your test, I prefer the Genera G2 Clear for the same reason you do. I wouldn't never put a clear head on one of my snares during a live show cause of the look but I'll try that in studio. I just bought a Ludwig LM402 snare, so I'll make the test on it!
Let us know how it goes!

I just went to your site and lstened to clips of Delsondrive...still picking my jaw up from the groundThats some cool production, man.
Old 24th March 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Reverse Dunk

...liking the Reverse Dot more and more, too. Tasty...still G2 for me, though. This makes me want to do my own snare shootout at home...DAMN YOU SLAPBACK.
Old 24th March 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back View Post
Let us know how it goes!

I just went to your site and lstened to clips of Delsondrive...still picking my jaw up from the groundThats some cool production, man.
Thanks man!
Old 24th March 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 
rumimusic's Avatar
 

what snare did you use?
Old 24th March 2008
  #18
Gear Addict
 
tarnationsauce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back View Post
Yes, please go ahead and cross post this. Please leave a link here as well so I can find it. Very nice of you.

It would also be cool to put this in the GS Drums Sub-Forum. Do I just start a new thread over there with a link to this one, or is there a better way?
Thanks again Slap Back. I cross posted on a few forums I visit.
Pearl Drummers Forum - Snare Drum Head Shootout
Snare Drum Head Shootout - Home Recording dot com BBS
Snare Drum Head Shootout - Ultimate Metal Forum
Old 24th March 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
Thanks man!
I really liked a lot of the music on your resume, bro. Great drum sound for most...especially Delson Drive (which I believe is your band). Tight...good tune...great production...nice harmonies. Great guitar tone, too...fierce.
Old 24th March 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
luctellier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
I really liked a lot of the music on your resume, bro. Great drum sound for most...especially Delson Drive (which I believe is your band). Tight...good tune...great production...nice harmonies. Great guitar tone, too...fierce.
Thanks!
Old 24th March 2008
  #21
The Evans heads sounded awful, but you used two heads I would never have chosen in a million years. I most often use the PC Rev Dot, which I think would have given the other heads you chose a run for their money.
I agree that the Aquarian Hi-Energy sounded the best.
I've been recommended it by a drummer I respect and bought a couple to try on a session, but I couldn't get on with them. They sounded thick and dull on the drums I installed them on. Perhaps my impression was wrong based on this blind test.
The Ambassador still stands up in my opinion. It's a good all purpose head.
I also liked the sound of the Remo Rev Dot - on your drum with your drumming.
In the end, different heads work on different drums I find.
There is possibly no one perfect snare drum batter.
Old 24th March 2008
  #22
Lives for gear
 
McPhaul's Avatar
Thank you for posting this.

That's twice this week that I've had a question about something and before I could ask it I found the answer here. I've been going through Snare Heads looking for a sound and this is great. I've gone through an Evans Power Center, a Evans Genera Dry Coated, and have a Remo Ambassador Coated that goes on before we track again just trying to find the sound I want. I'm after more Crack and less Pop.

I do have a few questions about this because the sound I'm getting from the Evans Genera Dry Coated is not the sound I'm hearing here. What snare is this? What Mic is this? Mic Location? Is the sound Dry?

Thank you,
Will

Last edited by McPhaul; 24th March 2008 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 24th March 2008
  #23
I think the hi energy sounds best on a metal drum like a black beauty.
Old 24th March 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
big country's Avatar
 

#2
#7
#5

THATS SO RAD
THANKS
Old 24th March 2008
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
cassiopamusic's Avatar
 

i was going to go to the shop today to pick up a new snare head and im glad i found this thread first! awsome job, thanks a bunch. i prefer the evans genera dry, then the remo pinstripe clear, and then the G2. im going for that signature "spoon" sounding snare, but i guess most of it comes down to the snare drum itself.
Old 25th March 2008
  #26
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
Thank you for posting this.

That's twice this week that I've had a question about something and before I could ask it I found the answer here. I've been going through Snare Heads looking for a sound and this is great. I've gone through an Evans Power Center, a Evans Genera Dry Coated, and have a Remo Ambassador Coated that goes on before we track again just trying to find the sound I want. I'm after more Crack and less Pop.

I do have a few questions about this because the sound I'm getting from the Evans Genera Dry Coated is not the sound I'm hearing here. What snare is this? What Mic is this? Mic Location? Is the sound Dry?
Thank you,
Will
5x14 Pearl Sensitone Brass

Close mic = SM57 2" away from rim, 1" up, pointing across head toward
center at a shallow angle. OH = KM184 pair recorderman style. Kick = D112 halfway inside drum pointing at hi hat stand accross beater pad.

Sound is dry (no reverb) No EQ Mixed ITB Samplitude Little bit of compression, tape sim and gclip; all mixes treated the same.
Old 25th March 2008
  #27
Gear Addict
 
Slap Back's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
Thanks much! Some great feedback there
Old 25th March 2008
  #28
Lives for gear
 
McPhaul's Avatar
Thanks.

Further proof that I simply need to work on my placement more carefully and probably move the drums back into the treated room.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back View Post
5x14 Pearl Sensitone Brass

Close mic = SM57 2" away from rim, 1" up, pointing across head toward
center at a shallow angle. OH = KM184 pair recorderman style. Kick = D112 halfway inside drum pointing at hi hat stand accross beater pad.

Sound is dry (no reverb) No EQ Mixed ITB Samplitude Little bit of compression, tape sim and gclip
Old 25th March 2008
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I think the hi energy sounds best on a metal drum like a black beauty.
That's exactly the drum I tried it on. It didn't sound good compared to an Ambassador.
The drummer who recommended it regularly uses an Acrolite though.

Regarding the shootout, I think the drum, the room and the drummer have a big effect on the sound. Having said that, I think the comparison provides some useful info from which to start your search for the head that works for you.
Old 25th March 2008
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ewegogetemtiger's Avatar
Love the Ambassador sound

my first and second choices (coated then clear)

thanks!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump