The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to built a yamaha NS 10 subkick microphone?
Old 21st March 2008
Gear Maniac

how to built a yamaha NS 10 subkick microphone?

hiya,

when I was @ studio yesterday I got to know that you can use a normal yamaha NS 10 speaker (or any other speaker) to record bass drums.
it sounded great and it really record the low frequencies.
so my question now is:
does anybody know how to built this thing?
I just need the speaker and a XLR cable...right?
but how to solder it together?
any constructions? would be great...
thank you
Old 21st March 2008
Old 21st March 2008
Old 21st March 2008
Lives for gear

check this out
celestion on the front with two different caps for a cross over giving
4 different options for tone
and phase reversal

on the back is a home stereo speaker ( actually sounds good with the valve JR)
throw a couple switches with resistors on their double duty for a sub kick
I haven't done this yet but will
sometimes I don't wonder why it takes years to finish a project
this thread reminded me why I originally made this piece of crap thanks

so basically you can run both speakers at the same time while getaring

its a tom held by a cymbal stand
it can go pretty high up for different possible room sounds it also has decent isolation from the stand

it semi tunable too
Old 21st March 2008
Deleted User
Old 21st March 2008
Gear interested

I absolutely will built one ...it looks easy and sounds brilliant
Old 21st March 2008

buy the one in the classifieds

narco
Old 21st March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
buy the one in the classifieds
wich one? link?
Old 21st March 2008
Gear Maniac

I just started building one a couple nights ago. I did a trial run thru a Tampa with the 20db pad engaged and still only got to about 9 o'clock before it started clipping. It was going thru the pre circuit before it got to the pad circuit. So my thoughts are an inline pad is a must. I saw this one.
Shure - Accessories - A15AS Switchable In-line Attenuator
Looks like it'll do the trick. Or if you're handy with a soldering iron...
Seventh Circle Audio :: View topic - DIY subkick pad
you could do your own.
Now I just have to figure out how to mount it. heh
Good luck mang...
Old 21st March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
I just started building one a couple nights ago. I did a trial run thru a Tampa with the 20db pad engaged and still only got to about 9 o'clock before it started clipping. It was going thru the pre circuit before it got to the pad circuit. So my thoughts are an inline pad is a must. I saw this one.
Shure - Accessories - A15AS Switchable In-line Attenuator
Looks like it'll do the trick. Or if you're handy with a soldering iron...
Seventh Circle Audio :: View topic - DIY subkick pad
you could do your own.
Now I just have to figure out how to mount it. heh
Good luck mang...
cool dude thumbsup
let me know if you got it, and post some pics
Old 21st March 2008
Lives for gear

Old 21st March 2008
Gear nut

One could also wire an unbalanced cable to the speaker and a 1/4" plug, then into a DI so it sees the right impedance.
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW Harper View Post
One could also wire an unbalanced cable to the speaker and a 1/4" plug, then into a DI so it sees the right impedance.
I don't understand. (sorry I am from germany,you should regard it)
can you describe it a bit more accurately?
I would like to mind high-priced attenuator. I want an affordable way to attenuate my subkick signal.
can anyone help me to work out?

thank you

Last edited by midmost; 22nd March 2008 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

Old 22nd March 2008
Deleted User
if any one is gona make one parts express sell 8inch speakers for like 12$. Just though id let you guys no.
Old 22nd March 2008

Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

I took a woofer from a home speaker, fixed with a bolt on a stand, soldered a 1/4" cable, plugged into a ****ty Behringer DI with 40dB pad engaged and got my subkick. It works like a charm. Yesterday I checked it out against a Yamaha Subkick, mine is so much better I can't even descrive the surprise. The only drawback so far is an annoyin' hiss on the output. If you have a hard drummer is no problem but with soft playin' you start to notice it.

PS: to be fair, the Subkick and mine sub were not on the same source. I just happened to be at a friend's studio and he opened up a session of his with a subkick on and we compared the two. So, different kick drums, player, preamp and room. But mine sounded much much better. More sub frequencies and a steep cut off right over low mids. The Yamaha picked up lots of stuff in the midrange too, but don't think that's what I'd use a subkick for....
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear nut

I'm sorry to say that but yamaha subkick mic sounds like **** comparing to ns10 speaker converted into mic. the reason is very simple - wooden enclosure. Do not (I reapeat: DO NOT!) enclose the woofer in any wooden cabinet (especially old drum hoop). Just use plain speaker attached to the mic stand and compare to the ones that are enclosed and you'll understand the difference.

thx,

chris
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
so every DI box attenuate signals?
will this unit work for this job:
BEHRINGER DI20 - U.K. International Cyberstore

thank you... I think that would be the most affordable solution
active DI's never made sense to me, but what ever
BTW , from what company did behringer copy that stereo DI design from
kinda cool
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dchris View Post
I'm sorry to say that but yamaha subkick mic sounds like **** comparing to ns10 speaker converted into mic. the reason is very simple - wooden enclosure. Do not (I reapeat: DO NOT!) enclose the woofer in any wooden cabinet (especially old drum hoop). Just use plain speaker attached to the mic stand and compare to the ones that are enclosed and you'll understand the difference.
is there a special reason to not enclose it in an old tom tom?
I wondered when I read this because in every report about building a subkick mic they always enclose the speaker in a tom drum or stuff like that.
hmm... even with the drum enclosed it looks better..
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

I'll have to admit, I never used a "subkick" type of mic, but I've really never had a desire to. I have a slightly older 414 TLII that when placed in front of the kick yields an ultra low "subsonic" thunderous response... all the 50Hz I'd ever need and more... enough to make godzilla jealous. This is also thanks to a well tuned kick drum of course... it all starts with the kick itself... point is though, I have to question how important it is to have a "subkick" type mic. I personally have no plans of building or obtaining one since, again, I'm capturing everything I need with a standard LDC microphone. Don't mean to put a damper on the whole "subkick" concept, but just questioning how valuable these really are. A good large diaphragm condenser with a well tuned kick drum may be just as good... anyone ever do extensive comparing? Does a "subkick" really capture so much more than a good LDC microphone? Or perhaps it's a "color" or "character" type thing?
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

having different transducers = more fun and possibilities

plus if you play your Mic's right you shouldn't need to eq

the sub kick is something you add along with another Mic
kinda like why not only use 414's to record every thing
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
having different transducers = more fun and possibilities - plus if you play your Mic's right you shouldn't need to eq - the sub kick is something you add along with another Mic kinda like why not only use 414's to record every thing
Good points
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

in my crazy little head I want Mic's that pan , Mic's that compress, Mic's that spin, Mic's that only pic up certain frequencies . binaural Mic's

imagine a studio with nofx but the Mic's them selfs
welcome to my crazy fuced up imaginary world
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
imagine a studio with no fx but the Mic's themselves
Well, that's an excellent ideal. Pulling it off takes a lot of experimentation though.

I'm generally happy meeting halfway... having the mics get me at least 50% along to where I want to be, and then relying on eq, compression etc in the mix for the rest... mainly because I find I can often never truly predict EXACTLY how I'll want things to be IN THE MIX... stuff always winds up needing to get altered a bit later to fit in with everything else.

But surely, if you can record a source in such a manner that it winds up needing hardly any processing later, that's awesome!
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Anyone used these speaker mics on bass guitar cabs (a la Paperback writer?) Also is it generally better to use a smaller or bigger speaker?
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

can anyone tell me why 3dchris mentioned above not to enclose the speaker in wood?
for example and old drum hoop he named.
still dunno if this is serious...
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Anyone used these speaker mics on bass guitar cabs (a la Paperback writer?) Also is it generally better to use a smaller or bigger speaker?
I tried to use the yamaha subkick on a bass cab, along with a few other mics and a DI. The subkick was pretty boring in comparisson. I would have had to use a ton of EQ to make it work. I just muted the track.
Old 23rd March 2008
Gear Maniac

ho-hummning
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search