The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Male falsetto voice, think Prince "Kiss." Condenser Microphones
Old 28th July 2004
Lives for gear

Male falsetto voice, think Prince "Kiss."

I am looking to record a fair amount of male vox that will be falsetto. Like I said you can think of "Kiss" by Prince. Any techniques and or mic suggestions. Any past experiences share would offer some insight. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2004
More cowbell!

I think the U195 and AT4060 you mention in your previous post would do fine. That kind of thing is usually close-mic work going for an intimate sound. Compression choice will usually have a bigger impact on such things. Careful with gain structure also.

-KT
Old 28th July 2004
Lives for gear

Obviously it's all about the singer, but I did actually help record a Prince cover recently as part of a mic shoot-out and the Blue Kiwi was the clear winner in the 'sounds just like Prince' stakes! (pre-amps were Cranesong Spider). This mic just oozes attitude, reaching out from within a mix to grab you by the short'n'curlies - he of the diminuitive Royal sideburns himself might just approve!
Old 28th July 2004
Gear Maniac

Prince used a Sennheiser MD 441 for the vocals on Kiss.
Old 3rd August 2004
Gear maniac

Ditto that on the 441.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search