The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please review 38 second "Traffic" jam
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Nut

Please review 38 second "Traffic" jam

This snippet was recorded using a Kurzweil K2600X synth/workstation with stock programs, a Dell 333Mz P2, and a Turtle Beach Montego soundcard. How does the sound quality and mix come across? Appreciate any comments. Thanks -----LEE

38 second "Traffic" jam
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

This site isn't really ment for audio and music reviews. Or, at least I frown on it. But, before I zap this post off what does everyone else think? Personally I try to avoid listening to things on the computer. I have crappy speakers or no speakers connected to my internet computer so judging the quality of anything over them is a crap shoot at best.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
This site isn't really ment for audio and music reviews. Or, at least I frown on it. But, before I zap this post off what does everyone else think?...
Although I agree that this sorta' thing doesn't realy belong in the regular forums, perhaps it might be kinda cool to have a "critique zone" for those interested.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Nut

Sorry about that, Jay. I was being a slut(z) I posted in this forum due the high regard I have for Gearslutz. I figured on getting some well rounded opinions. I will bee-have. What do I think about reviews? It's a great idea. I love to "hear" what everyone is up to! Thanks for considerating the idea of a critique forum, anyhoo. Very kewl smilies, I must say!
Best regards, Lee.

Quote:
This site isn't really ment for audio and music reviews. Or, at least I frown on it. tut But, before I zap this post off what does everyone else think? Personally I try to avoid listening to things on the computer. I have crappy speakers or no speakers connected to my internet computer so judging the quality of anything over them is a crap shoot at best.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

maybe this stuff ask for a future new section on Gearslutz ..... Jules ???
Old 8th December 2002
Bob
Gear Head

song reviews

Hi all,

Maybe this is indeed not the place to post songs and get opinions on, ... well whatever aspect of it! But I would sure be interested in knowing if there is such a site.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Nut

Well, this forum, and it's obviously well-read and intentioned body of members, seemingly is centered around the "gear" aspect, and the end product of utilizing the "gear", is what eventually,and most importantly, gets to the "ear". And along with the advent of this amazing computer and music making, shaping and breaking technology we have at our disposal, I opine that any music "tech" forum have a little "review" area, within the constraints of the site itself of course, to further educate us all into what we all can do to get to that holy grail of "Yup, sounds great... right there!!"...as well as serve sorta newbies like me with minimal gear on how to maximize their own's gear's potential. The best gear is nearly useless without the mixing, eq'g, mastering brains out there that were probably shaped to some extent by opinions, reviews, critiques, etc.....not to mention inherent talent that just can't be aquired. Just my 2 cents.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

I personally can't think of a site that lets your work be heard and reviewed. Like I said before, I don't listen to things off the net if I can avoid it. I'm on a dial-up which is slower then shit and will take me about an hour to download a 5 or 6 meg MP3 and then I have really crappy (Polk) speakers which sit on the floor under the computer because I have too much paperwork on my desk. Do you really want me to critique your work under those conditions?

As for how to learning what to do with all this stuff, that used to be much easier. You'd intern with another engineer or at a studio and learn on the job then get to fuck around when the room wasn't booked. The engineer would come in and listen to what you did so you had guidence and you learned by doing. Now that you can walk into a store and walk out with $20K in recording gear lots of people skip that guidence and wonder why their recording sounds like shit and it must be the gears fault.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
I personally can't think of a site that lets your work be heard and reviewed. Like I said before, I don't listen to things off the net if I can avoid it. I'm on a dial-up which is slower then shit and will take me about an hour to download a 5 or 6 meg MP3 and then I have really crappy (Polk) speakers which sit on the floor under the computer because I have too much paperwork on my desk. Do you really want me to critique your work under those conditions?

With your setup descibed above, I think not! LOL. There are a couple of sites that have "MP3" clinics and so on. I hear you regarding your sound hookup to the internet. I thought I had it good too with some Altec-Lansing speakers with their sub-woofer, but I found a major chunk of the mid to upper audio spectrum was anemic. I am now using a Mitsu amp and some cheapo, but in my opinion, fairly "accurate" speakers to listen to all the music out there as well as attempting to engineer my stuff. Indespensible for a home recordist such as myself. Poor quality internet sound is like having a big screen without a DVD player, digital Dolby/DTS, satellites and subs. Gotta have it, man!!!!. What gives in northern NJ??? No access to a cable modem/dsl??

Quote:
As for how to learning what to do with all this stuff, that used to be much easier. You'd intern with another engineer or at a studio and learn on the job then get to fuck around when the room wasn't booked. The engineer would come in and listen to what you did so you had guidence and you learned by doing. Now that you can walk into a store and walk out with $20K in recording gear lots of people skip that guidence and wonder why their recording sounds like shit and it must be the gears fault

Man, who can disagree with you there! In all fields, the same shit is going on. You wouldn't even want to know just who is doing that diagnostic medical ultrasound exam on you or your loved one, because my field has gone down the shitter in the past 15 years. You wouldn't fucking believe the lazy-ass, piss-poor practitioners out there that are the result of horribly inadequate education, training and mentoring. Scary, eh?
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

I agree it could be better to have a section devoted to posts like this one rather than have them pop up here and there. This way people interested in reviewing stuff and making suggestion could check what's happening there (I must admit I'm not really that interested in doing that myself... :eek: ) and it would help to keep existing forums focused.

BTW Lee, I agree with you at the sometimes apaling lack of interest in their patient's general well being some (hopefully rare) practicioners seem to exhibit... Scary stuff indeed!

Cheers!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear