The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone Storage
Old 18th March 2008
Here for the gear

Microphone Storage

Our studio has been lucky enough to be able to by a lot of new mics lately, The only problem is our old mic locker isn't big enough to store them all. I was wondering if any of you have found some cool ways of storing you entire mic collection. We wan the storage unit to be really secure, sturdy and lockable, but also be able to easily see and get to any of our mics, and there accessories. (Mic Clips, Shock Mounts, Power Supplies) We are hoping to find a system that allows us to not use the flight cases a lot of the mics come in, since they take up so much space, but still gives us the same security and protection that a flight cases offers.
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

I use a big clothing drawer with padding in it.
Old 18th March 2008
Gear Maniac

A firearms safe works well (they are often fire rated as well). You can get key, electric, or combination locks and a variety of shelving options. Also available, electric de-humidification units for the interior. If you have vintage or high value mics, it is well worth the rather minimal cost for the theft, fire, and general peace of mind.
Old 18th March 2008

Reusable dessicant packs (baked as often as needed) work better than the electric heater de-humidifiers...

If you don't need the fire rating, laterall file drawers and some custom inserts to hold mics can work.

Or a large mechanic's toolbox.

-tINY

Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

IKEA | Storage furniture | Drawer units | ERIK | Drawer unit w 3 drawers on casters should work fine if you pad it with foam. Can be nice, rolling it up next to the drums and mic up the kit.
Old 18th March 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input. I like the Gun Storage Safe idea, I was also thinking using an industrial tool box. I guess what I would really like to be able to do though is have a specific spot for every mic in my collection. And this spot would have a custom fit for each microphone. That way it would be easy to see exactly what mic goes where, and if anything didn't make it back at the end of a session. I sort of use the padded drawer system right now, and sometimes its easy to miss a mic if everything is just laying in a random spot on a shelf. The trick to this system is it would also have to be modifiable and easy to add to as we get new mics. Has anybody seen any clever ways of making a system like this, or know of anybody that sells anything that would work?

Here is a list of the mics if it helps anybody understand about how big of a storage unit would be needed.

1 Neumann U47KH Tube
1 Neumann U48KH Tube
2 Klaus Hiene Modified Neumann U87's
Stereo matched Neumann U-87's
2 Neumann U47
1 Neumann KM84KH
1 Neumann KM86
1 Neumann U89
1 Neumann KM88i
2 Neumann Tube M-147's
1 AKG C24KH Stereo Tube
4 AKG C414
4 AKG C451
1 AKG C452
1 AKG C33 Stereo
1 AMS ST250 Stereo
2 Chameleon Labs TS-1's
1 Sennheiser e609
2 Sennheiser 441
6 Sennheiser 421
Sennheiser e604's
4 Shure KSM32
4 Shure SM57
2 Shure SM81
1 Shure SM56
1 Shure 520D
1 Shure VP88
1 Royer R-121 Ribbon Mic
2 Royer R-122 Ribbon Mic
2 DPA 4011 (Stereo Pair)
Yamaha SKRM100 SUBKICK
2 Studio Projects C1
2 Heil PR-30
1 Heil PR-20
1 Audix D6
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

At one studio, the had essentially a shelf, in a closet, and they had a big one piece thing of foam with big tubed holes in it so you can slide the mic right into it. worked good. don't know where you would get it though.
Old 18th March 2008
Gear Head

How about a big gun cabinet?
Old 18th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPManza View Post
Thanks for the input. I like the Gun Storage Safe idea, I was also thinking using an industrial tool box. I guess what I would really like to be able to do though is have a specific spot for every mic in my collection. And this spot would have a custom fit for each microphone. That way it would be easy to see exactly what mic goes where, and if anything didn't make it back at the end of a session. I sort of use the padded drawer system right now, and sometimes its easy to miss a mic if everything is just laying in a random spot on a shelf. The trick to this system is it would also have to be modifiable and easy to add to as we get new mics. Has anybody seen any clever ways of making a system like this, or know of anybody that sells anything that would work?

Here is a list of the mics if it helps anybody understand about how big of a storage unit would be needed.

1 Neumann U47KH Tube
1 Neumann U48KH Tube
2 Klaus Hiene Modified Neumann U87's
Stereo matched Neumann U-87's
2 Neumann U47
1 Neumann KM84KH
1 Neumann KM86
1 Neumann U89
1 Neumann KM88i
2 Neumann Tube M-147's
1 AKG C24KH Stereo Tube
4 AKG C414
4 AKG C451
1 AKG C452
1 AKG C33 Stereo
1 AMS ST250 Stereo
2 Chameleon Labs TS-1's
1 Sennheiser e609
2 Sennheiser 441
6 Sennheiser 421
Sennheiser e604's
4 Shure KSM32
4 Shure SM57
2 Shure SM81
1 Shure SM56
1 Shure 520D
1 Shure VP88
1 Royer R-121 Ribbon Mic
2 Royer R-122 Ribbon Mic
2 DPA 4011 (Stereo Pair)
Yamaha SKRM100 SUBKICK
2 Studio Projects C1
2 Heil PR-30
1 Heil PR-20
1 Audix D6

There are many very large gun safes available and they are usually available with shelf interiors. If you look around and Google "gun safe" you will learn of the myriad of options. As a starter, see:

Gun Safes, Fort Knox: Americas Best Made Gun Safes, Hand Gun, Fireproof, Home and Vault Doors

You could also build a reinforced concrete wall and hang a fire resistant vault door. The safes will also lower insurance premiums if you have riders for your mic collection. The doors are usually stepped and gusseted with expanding liners if a fire heats the door. They also are water and halon resistant if sprinklers are set off. You can get varying degrees of protection depending on your budget. I can get 50-60 mics including a pair of U47s and other LDCs/SDCs , Royer ribbons, large dynamics like EV RE-20s and such in the average gun safe which would cost around $3500 USD for a decent one. Also, a pair of safes with one for high value mics and the other for common mics with differing combinations is a good idea. Doing this allows better control of who has access to the good stuff vs. the run of the mill mics. If you want to save a few bucks, check with local safe companies as they often de-commission safes for banks and will sell them for peanuts. I know because my father used to be a bank executive and they would upgrade safes from banks they acquired.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search