The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A thread for asking the things you should know by now but don't
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ok cool, thank you!
That clears that one up, although I'd like to emphasise that I'm guessing from memory that it was Mr Thorp, could well have been someone else!

I'll file this one under 'Use your Ears'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Drums do indeed benefit from making sure the first impulse is positive, especially the kick. I typically record drums with only a carefully placed stereo overhead and an inside kick. The OH stereo mic is placed just over the drummer's left shoulder, aligning the snare and kick and de-accentuating the cymbals compared to typical OH placement. It also makes the kick clearly negative on its first impulse. After tracking and editing, I reverse the polarity of the OH and pull it over to align the kick in the OH with the inside kick. Both things make a significant difference. Adding spot mics confuses this process significantly, but you can include aligning the spots with the OHs as well. My method creates an exceptionally coherent, you are there sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I really really want to know how to create or where to find that soft deep kick sound used all over today's popular music. It puzzles me to no end..
Who enlightens me? Tried kick 2 plugin which gets close but still it is not it...
Old 1 week ago
What's better, clocking via the same AES cable that's handling your audio signal, using a separate word clock cable, or does it not make any difference?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I really really want to know how to create or where to find that soft deep kick sound used all over today's popular music. It puzzles me to no end..
Who enlightens me? Tried kick 2 plugin which gets close but still it is not it...
What you are hearing is not a single kick drum sample. They are usually layers of samples resulting in one final sound. That’s why you probably won’t get the same results with a single sample.
Sources? Probably 2, or a vintage drum machine with lots of eq (lindrumm ir similar) or something like splice samples.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Feed Forward vs Feed Back on Compressor

So, when would you use each instance? What are the pro's and con's?

I'm using the Waves API 2500 comp on the master bus. I've switched between the 2 settings but don't hear much difference, even when I lowered the threshold quite substantially an increase the ratio. FF reduces the volume/compresses more? compared to FB is the most noticeable thing I hear

I've read the manual and it just tells me the technical difference.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post
What you are hearing is not a single kick drum sample. They are usually layers of samples resulting in one final sound. That’s why you probably won’t get the same results with a single sample.
Sources? Probably 2, or a vintage drum machine with lots of eq (lindrumm ir similar) or something like splice samples.
But not every soul is doing the same layering and it's all over popular music now. So it will probably be sampled or maybe found in Logic x ultrabeat or anything.. just guessing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search