The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 Series Preamp Shootout Saturday April 12th.
Old 17th March 2008

500 Series Preamp Shootout Saturday April 12th.

500 Series Mic Preamp Shootout / Gearslutz Party
Saturday April 12th, 3pm on...

@
James Lugo's Vocal Aslym
6381 Hollywood Blvd. Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90028
818 259 0190
(Corner of Hollwyood and Cahuenga)
(Press #700 at the door)

This is in response to this thread:
Any vendors or Gearslutz want their 500 series pre in our shootout?

ALL VENDERS OR SLUTZ WHO HAVE PRES THEY WANT TO SHIP TO ME FOR THE SHOOTOUT READ THIS:

Shipping is a drag for me because I'm not at work in the morning. So, I need ALL boxes with preamps shipped to my studio and set to arrive on either Wednesday April 9th or Thursday April 10th.

Ship to:
James Lugo
6381 Hollywood Blvd. Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Please post on this thread if you're sending a pre and PM me
Please post on this thread if there's a pre you want to hear
Please RSVP on this thread.

Pres that are at the studio:

Avedis Audio MA5 (the original prototype, it's orange, groovy baby!)
A Design Blue
A Design Red
LaChapell 583 s (Telefunken tubes/Jensen)
Buzz Elixer

I can get a BAE, API.

Waiting on Dave Pearlman to finish building a TM-1 we are going to use. If anyone wants their pre included post on this thread and PM me. Vendors and gearslutz welcome.

I'm gonna sing a ballad, a screamer, I'll get a girl if I can and we can track my Martin acoustic and heavy guitars. When we get done you'll know what the pre sounds like.
Old 18th March 2008

...here we go. Buckle in kids.

If you posted on the other thread regarding having a pre you wanted in the shootout or wanted to hear a pre at the shootout, please repost on this thread so we can stay organized. Sorry about the 2 thread but I didn't realize how many people were going to be into this, so we need shindig!
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

Hi,

I would like to bring the VSI MX-1 to the shootout.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 18th March 2008

That's awesome. Just bring it with you at 3pm to the party.

Also if you're gonna bring a pre you gotte be on time. So you're pre is in everything from the start.
Old 18th March 2008
pan
Lives for gear

LOL!

That's so LA!

10 Bucks there's more than 11 contestants within 7 Days heh
Old 18th March 2008
Atlas Juggernaut

Hi James,

I'll be shipping you an Atlas Pro Audio Juggernaut preamp to arrive no later than April 10. Worst case scenario you will get the production prototype, which sounds the same as the real production units, there are only minor cosmetic differences.
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

If you are looking for a smallish instrument that really does give any piece of gear a run for its money..Try a Sitar... The relationship between the drone and the plucked notes is always a tricky one to get right..
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

Get a cello in there!
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

I wonder if someone could bring a SCA rack to reference against this stuff. That would be nice.
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear
too bad you can't include the roll music pre with this date

otherwise great! keep us updated james what other pres will be there. i know rich from burl has contacted you and wants to get you his b1.
Old 18th March 2008
Gear Nut

i was about the fourth one to jump in and suggest a Shadow Hills Mono Gamma. it appears to be a very well made and versatile piece of gear that there are very few reviews about.
Old 18th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Can you guys track some drums please? This is one of the sources I think of API style pres as being especially suited for.
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmeister View Post
Can you guys track some drums please? This is one of the sources I think of API style pres as being especially suited for.
ok so far we have grand piano, cello, drums, sitar, all kind of guitars, and male and female vox. no problem james eh? heh how long did you say the session will go? 3 days in a row? ok, then it's all good ...
Old 18th March 2008

I will do my best to get some different sources. For anyone who's never been involved in something like this it can be very time consuming. I will do my best.

I will talk to Peter about getting a P1. I spoke with Bryan McCurry and he said he'll contribute an 11 space rack and an API 512c.

Nathan is sending his Juggernaut.

A couple of guys have PM'ed me regarding sending their pres, I will go through my PM's this afternoon and return all the messages and report back on what is coming so far.

Is anyone getting us a Shadow Hills?
Is anyone getting us a Purple?
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

I would love to come play cello for you guys but it's kind of far.
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude
I wonder if someone could bring a SCA rack to reference against this stuff. That would be nice.
I have a pair of SCA A12's I could bring. This is outside the scope of "500 series only", so no offense taken if my offer's not accepted.
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

James - are you only looking for 500 models that are currently in production or about to be in production? Otherwise, I could send you one of my API 512b's to put in the shootout.

Lemme know.

Chase
Old 19th March 2008

Only in production 500 series.
Old 19th March 2008
Gear Guru

James, if the manufacturers don't pony up these for you, I've got a Biz and GAMA. Also 512B's & C's. Not sure about the date yet though. Have to check out a few things.

I'd sure vote for keeping it 500 series only.

bp
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
James, if the manufacturers don't pony up these for you, I've got a Biz and GAMA.
thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd sure vote for keeping it 500 series only.

bp
thumbsup maybe one reference pre? api we have, so neve?
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

A-Designs Audio

Hi James,

Yes, we will have a P-1, EM-Gold, and EM-Silver there for you.

Good to see you up and about James thumbsup

Regards,
Peter
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Love to hear how the Gold fairs to the P-1......cause the P-1 rocks my world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post
Hi James,

Yes, we will have a P-1, EM-Gold, and EM-Silver there for you.

Good to see you up and about James thumbsup

Regards,
Peter
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Damn, I so wished I lived near LA. Between the mic shootout and this pre shootout, I'm missing out on lots of fun...
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

I would love to hear the Chandler Germanium. Particularly on bass as a di and/or mic-ed up cab and on vocals. I'd be very interested in differences in various feedback settings.
Old 19th March 2008

I'll talk to Wade.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

This shoot out needs an Eisen pre with JLM input tranny and purple op amp and cinemag or crimson output on it! They are one of my favs now! Huge bottom and sweet top and I'm not talking about women here...........

I have one I'm about finished with that I might be able to send but if someone else can that would be cool as well since I'm not sure if I'll have it ready on time.I have a few other rack projects going on that are important to me!

Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer View Post
This shoot out needs an Eisen pre with JLM input tranny and purple op amp and cinemag or crimson output on it! They are one of my favs now! Huge bottom and sweet top and I'm not talking about women here...........

I have one I'm about finished with that I might be able to send but if someone else can that would be cool as well since I'm not sure if I'll have it ready on time.I have a few other rack projects going on that are important to me!

yeah i hear you and i have one, but why include? same as with old api modules. you can only buy them used now. Eisen Audio, LLC: Design & Manufacturing of Pro Audio Equipment
Old 19th March 2008
Gear Maniac

This is going to be a great time James, thanks for putting this together! I will be making the trip down; can't wait.

If all goes well this week and next, I'll be bringing a little "surprise" (no, it's not the EQ variant).
Old 19th March 2008
Gear Guru

will you be shooting out any 500 series modules against their rack-mounted brothers?
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dempsey View Post
I would love to hear the Chandler Germanium. Particularly on bass as a di and/or mic-ed up cab and on vocals. I'd be very interested in differences in various feedback settings.
+1, please!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search