The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 Series Preamp Shootout Saturday April 12th.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman View Post
Oh, thank you again and again and again.
im sorry, didnt mean to single you out like that. your post was just the most recent one i saw on the subject and i think i was in a bad mood heh no hard feelings

really wishing we could've had the Juggernaut and JLM pres for this shootout. im positive they wouldve hung with everyone else juuust fine
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman View Post
What were the first units that they were hanging with? Are all 4 so similar in sound, that they get lumped together? Thank you for your comments.

Sorry, I missed the before. If you see James' picture, we started with the rack (not the lunchbox) so I think we went MA5, then OSA, then it hit the PA-1. I think I missed the MA5 with Female vocals (sorry Avedis!) while smoking, and came back for 1 or 2 of the OSA's again right before the Pacifica P-1. I guess that was making the big jump in my percieved sound quality was from the OSA to Pacifica.

About the Mint Julep:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matta View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and comments guys. Pan has mentioned the 6dB steps in the past as well and we will look into the possibly of adding a gainswitch with finer steps and or an output pot to attenuate the signal.
Yeah, to to say again, I have a bunch of pres and at different times, I find myself going to different ones for many different reasons. I do really like the Red 1 for somethings, and it is Lundahl transformer based, and I think it sounds leagues better than say the Precision 8, which is nice, yet transformerless. So I have become biased that transformerless is not good. Which is dumb, because I have some moded pres with discrete outs that are about my favorite sounding. So when I heard the Mint Julep, maybe I was expecting "less," but I didn't get it, nice job.

When planning the MX-1 (VSI M-1 in the shootout, but I think we are changing the name to not confuse with Mr. Hardy's products), we decided to go with Greyhills too. The block diagram is basically Pad->Input X-former->Greyhill stepped attenuator->OpAmp->Line drive (level) pot->output transformer. We ramped the steps, with the first 5 steps bing 5 db steps, the next 5 being 3 db steps. I am not sure if I like that or the even 6 db steps (like Red 1) or not, but leaving it at "0" is no attenuation. It is useful for drums and such, to avoid overloading the block with transients, but I really like the linear taper pot for the output! Seeing that you are considering this option pleases me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrieves View Post
Man, Kronos has really got my engine revvin'! it's exciting because i love the sound of my biz, so i can't wait to hear what a mono gama or api will do to my collection!
I got my first API just to compare to the M-1 prototypes. Actually, VSI Audio bought it and asked me to eBay it at the end. I just bought it, then I needed a pair, now I have 4. I have been using them on more and more things lately and I really think their forte is bass and drums, especially toms! I like it on my voice, and one female singer I work will, but on others it ends up being too thin and brittle sounding. I guess that is where the 550b comes in. I use my VSI stuff for kick and snare (after extensive A/B with 512c, both are great, but IMO better low end with the M-1).

The Mono Gama is a different animal altogether. It seemed to be a more rounded unit to me in terms of uses. I would like to pick up a pair at some point. They are still not #1 on the wish list in that group though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Although gray/grey WITH a VU meter definitely caught my eye.

Yes, that meter is a modification to an already proven design built by a respected and established company. Actually, all that changed was the housing/bezel. VSI had the first prototype and it was to be used in the M-3 (or MX-3, I'm confused). The meter is now being mass produced. Hopefully, tonight or tomorrow I will have pictures to post of the M-3 with the new VU's. As we await our ciruit cards R and D continues! The "old" board were modded yet again and I plan to do some audio tests tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
I've seen at least one manufacturer of a 500 module thank API on their website.
VSI Audio has that, I don't remember who else. But, VSI is not a VPR member yet.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Last edited by Kronos147; 26th April 2008 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: insanely large pic
Old 26th April 2008
VSI M3

VSI M3.
Is this thing a Pre or a Comp? (or both)
Does anyone have a link to there website?
I am chasing a really good 500 series Comp mainly for tracking vocals.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post

Sorry, I missed the before. If you see James' picture, we started with the rack (not the lunchbox) so I think we went MA5, then OSA, then it hit the PA-1. I think I missed the MA5 with Female vocals (sorry Avedis!) while smoking, and came back for 1 or 2 of the OSA's again right before the Pacifica P-1. I guess that was making the big jump in my percieved sound quality was from the OSA to Pacifica.

That first OSA unit is what I have. It's the Mutant. I also have the P-1. I know the differences in their sound right off the bat. I love the P1, it's my work horse, but I find myself reaching for the Mutant quite often. The Mutant has a sound that I like. It's good to know that the Mutant kept up with the MA5 right before it. Thank you for the commentary.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
im sorry, didnt mean to single you out like that. your post was just the most recent one i saw on the subject and i think i was in a bad mood heh no hard feelings

really wishing we could've had the Juggernaut and JLM pres for this shootout. im positive they wouldve hung with everyone else juuust fine
No probs. God bless
Old 26th April 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
"My sister looks so hot in a bikini."
How she looks in the Lunchbox?
Old 26th April 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groff View Post
How she looks in the Lunchbox?
EVERYTHING looks good in a lunchbox!
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
VSI M3.
Is this thing a Pre or a Comp? (or both)
Both.

VSI Audio - thanks for caring about sound! Kronos Recording Big Bark Records Vernon Eric Isaacson Herb Arga

cheers!
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

the compressor circuit uses the tubes as well? sexy stuff
Old 27th April 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
With all those units, my eye was drawn immediately (like I'm sure everyone else's was) to the VU meter on this one. Great idea. And killer sales draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
The new Lachapelle Audio 583V Tube Mic Pre. Whoa!

Old 27th April 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
The new Lachapelle Audio 583V Tube Mic Pre. Whoa!

Yes, that meter is a modification to an already proven design built by a respected and established company. Actually, all that changed was the housing/bezel. VSI had the first prototype and it was to be used in the M-3 (or MX-3, I'm confused). The meter is now being mass produced. Hopefully, tonight or tomorrow I will have pictures to post of the M-3 with the new VU's. As we await our ciruit cards R and D continues! The "old" board were modded yet again and I plan to do some audio tests tonight.

VSI Audio has that, I don't remember who else. But, VSI is not a VPR member yet.
i do not think Lynn was talking about your product.
as i recall, it was the new LaChapell Audio Prototype.
i think it is cool that you have a new product, but to continue to chime in, on all the 500 format threads and promote what you have, as a 500 format tube pre, is in appropriate.
you should start you own thread for that.
if what you have will not plug into any 500 format bucket or frame and work with out mods, then it is not a 500 format product period!
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i do not think Lynn was talking about your product.
as i recall, it was the new LaChapell Audio Prototype.
i think it is cool that you have a new product, but to continue to chime in, on all the 500 format threads and promote what you have, as a 500 format tube pre, is in appropriate.
you should start you own thread for that.
if what you have will not plug into any 500 format bucket or frame and work with out mods, then it is not a 500 format product period!

What pan says about it not being a "500" product is correct, the MX-3 does require an additional voltage rail to operate.

Boy pan, I think you really need to relax, it's all about making great music, right?

Old 27th April 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
What pan says about it not being a "500" product is correct, the MX-3 does require an additional voltage rail to operate.

Boy pan, I think you really need to relax, it's all about making great music, right?

it is all about making great music, and loving cool gear, and loving what we do. heh
i am not alone in this, and just want to say we should chat about your other gear in a thread that is not dedicated to the 500 format.
Old 30th April 2008
Old 30th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Since the post I made last night is currently lost due to the GS server problems, here goes again.

James, I was wondering if you have any first impressions on the Juggernaut. I know that it didn't arrive in time for the shootout, and you may not have gotten the chance to redo the shootout scenario with the pre and that doesn't really matter much. If you've gotten to try it out even a little bit, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

I'm on the fence about getting the Juggernaut. I'm right on the verge of placing my order with Nathan, and I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement or reassurance to give me that last little push. It's either the Juggernaut or the Shadow Hills for me, or maybe the GT Supre (even tho it's not 500-series).
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I hope I didn't say anything really wise. It'll be lost forever.
dfegadstike
Old 3rd May 2008

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

The 500 series file thread is done, waiting for Jules to move it to the forum!
Old 17th May 2008
Lives for gear
Fantastic James!

Big thanks for doing this!
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Did yall hear what I heard from these samples? The BAE 312A sounded so smooth and even across the spectrum. This can't be. It almost sounded like there was a compressor in the chain. Wow. Unbelievalbe preamp and it sounded the most professional out of all the other preamps. Damn, somebody give me a deal on two of these right now!!! Anybody else feel this way about the BAE's?
Old 15th October 2008

Call Mark at BEA.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Aye James, how about a link? or is the number on the Brent Averill website. Last question James, is it just me or is the Purple Pants on of the best overlooked tracking pres out there? The BAE seems like it could be better that the Pants at the tracking stage. Let me now what you think!!!
Old 15th October 2008

Brent Averill Enterprises | Products

Ask for Mark, he's a great guy.

The Pants was cool, the other one I liked in the room that didn't get much play here was the Mint Julep, I really liked the sound. The 512 was a killer too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search