The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are cassette decks obsolete? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th July 2004
Gear Maniac

Are cassette decks obsolete?

Are cassette decks obsolete? Does anyone see a need to have one in their studio anymore?

Makoto
Old 26th July 2004
Gear Maniac

You just might have a client who has a cassette in their car... or one who brings in a cassete for some reason... Do you want to say, sorry I can't play that?

Otherwise, no.

<L>
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

It's nice to have one for compatability. You won't use it often, but when you need it, it's there. They don't take up much space...

plus, being a gearslut is all about having tons of stuff you will seldom use.
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

sold mine 3 years ago. haven't needed it once since then.
Old 26th July 2004
Gear Guru
Yes, thank god!
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

Haven't needed it for anything music wise.

But lately I've had a few clients want me to transfer stuff from cassette to cd and do some clean up. I've had to borrow tape deck's to do it.

I didn't want to say no to the gig. Money is money.
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

No way is a tape deck obsolete in my studio. I have at least 250 cassettes that would cost me a fortune to replace on CD and I haven't been motivated enough to record them to CD in real time. Plus I really like the sound of tape for a change on occasion, honestly. Plus...I have good deck...Plus it takes up 3 rack spaces
Old 26th July 2004
Gear Nut

I use my tascam desk for slap at times and they come in handy for the nice flange.....
Old 26th July 2004
Deleted User
For me yes! Sold my tape deck some years ago and never looked back.

I know one studio where they have two very posh looking racked tape decks and they are just getting very dusty. I think they nicely fit the slutz ethic of having tons of stuff you seldom use.

Simon
Old 26th July 2004
Gear Addict

The only cassette player I have is a Sony blaster. I don't remember the last time I used it on a session. Yes I do. It was to listen to a song writing idea tape. All of 30 seconds. It was a cool song, though.

When I think about that great old analog sound, cassettes are not what comes to mind.

Steve
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Are cassette decks obsolete?

Quote:
Originally posted by makoto
Are cassette decks obsolete?
Yes.

Will you occasionally have need of one once a year?

Yes.

I'm hanging on to mine - no point in selling it. Same applies for DAT.
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

Nah.. they are teh new analogue plug in that everyonoe can afford!

Wiggy
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

my next revision of bitWarmer will utilize cassette technology.
Old 26th July 2004
Lives for gear

Still got mine. The nice dual deck from Tascam. I will hang on to it, but it needs dusting. Too many old tapes and the very occasional "can you put this on a cd?"
Old 26th July 2004
Rab
KMR Audio

I have a fairly large collection of dodgy old cassettes collected while travelling in Asia for sample material. If I ever get around to transferring them all to CD I may lose the cassette player... in the meantime it has this use.
Old 27th July 2004
Lives for gear

I just got asked by a friend/producer to do a transfer of a few live shows. I thought he would be bringing in something other than cassette. So good thing I still got the trusty Tascam. What a nightmare to work with though.........
Old 20th March 2007
Here for the gear

No way, They're not obsolete in my studio,

Get a decent 3 head deck with record monitoring for $50, send a bassline out of your DAW manually compensating for the delay, overload the levels a bit then back in again and 'hey presto' - a sound better than any tape saturation plugin (to me)
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

A "must have" nope, but its good to have one around. Haven't use mine in a year or two.
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

i have one in the living room stereo... i bring it to the studio if i need it... it's a cheap fairly recent Panasonic Dual Deck...
i actually listened to a tape a few weeks ago... wow...first time in few years... it still works...

sometimes i stick in my old "Jimi Hendrix Concerts" on it... and it doesn't sound too bad...

then i put some vinyl and the cassete stays off for another year...

i'll keep it till it breaks down....

now everything in the studio is mostly CD's and DVD's... i stilll have an old tascam DA-30 Dat for the odd film people who bring bags of dats... though nowadays i ask them to bring the files on cd because it's faster.

but cassettes are cool, sort of...
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

transfers=dollars... in real time.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Just watching the Blur show on Encore. Damon was showing his cassette four-track with built-in mic. Said he wrote all of "13" on it.

Works for me.
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Addict

i've had a few times were someone will come in and have a song for a b-side or bonus track and its some old demo or live recording and all they got is a cassette ...

i bet there's alot of great stuff out there that the only copy anyone has is on cassette
Old 21st March 2007
MrT
Gear Addict

I worked with a "producer" once that kept all his beats on cassette... for real. Here's how the conversation went

Me: O.K. do you want to load up a beat?
Him: Oh, all my beats are on cassette.
Me:
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Once every 2 months a get a transfer request. I keep it in the B room.
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Maniac

TAPE SLAP..AP..AP..ap..ap..p..p..p

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Nut

i like to slap my "high position, mini reel-to-reel" on the 2-bus to get some warm analoge sound.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Same as everyone else here. Every once 6 months or so someone comes in wanting a tape transfered and cleaned up / edited to CD.

Otherwise it doesn't even stay powered up.. I don't miss it heh

ERic
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

What's a cassette? j/k but it should only be a couple years until we hear that question.

I once had a potential client send me a cassette of some demos. I took it as a red flag and let them know that I had no means of listening to it. They wanted me to mail it back.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

The most lucrative gig to come through my studio in the last 4 months, no joke, was a guy who wanted to digitize his archives: He just sat there & dumped stuff from cassettes into the Mac FOR A TWO WEEK LOCKOUT! And he actually "auditioned" my cassette deck (a Tascam 130) before I got the gig: stuck it side-by-side with two other cassette decks and listened to some of his tapes before deciding mine yielded the best representation of his music. Whatever...

Heck, I still have a cassette library of several hundred tapes of my own music from the 70's & 80's that has yet to be archived, so I sure as hell like having a cassette deck around.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
I am sorry to bust anyone's chops, but when absolutely zero new cassettes are released by any major label.... it be dead.
MiniDisc sure isn't dead, yet there aren't new releases by record companies on MD.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search