The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yes, another VOCAL MIC thread...which one? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, another VOCAL MIC thread...which one?

Okay, I've spent lots of time with the search engine and I have read lots of info about different mics but I've come to a point where I need assistance in choosing the mic that I would ultimately purchase.

I need a vocal recording mic that would be a catch all. Something that sounds good on nearly everyone that is in front of it....assuming the person can sing. Due to my interests, it would mainly be for male rock vocalists. I don't have tons of money and I don't do this for a living so that's why I'm looking for the best and most versatile mic I can buy, within my budget, of course. I am more than open to purchasing in the used market and I would actually prefer it since it's a bit cheaper. However, I will purchase new if I don't have an option otherwise or if the price difference makes buying used negligible.

My budget is about $1500. I would like to get out well under that, if I could. My pre is a Great River MP-500NV. Also have the on board RME pre's on my FF800.

Here are some of the mics I am considering, but I'm open to suggestion.

Pearlman TM-1 - Fantastic mic, from what I read.
Neumann U87ai - Would have to purchase used.
Neumann TLM 49 - I've been reading good things about this mic.
Neumann TLM 103 - Yeah, everyone hates it...but it's still a decent mic.
Soundelux U195
AT4050
AT4060
Mojave MA-200
Telefunken R-F-T AK47 - I don't know much about this mic at all.

My current excuse for a mic locker:

Shure SM7b
Audix i5
Audix D2 x2
Audix D4
Audix D6
AKG D112
Senn. e609s
Cascade Fat Head II
Audio Technica AT4033
Rode NT5 x2
Rode NTK (would have to sell to fund above purchase)
Old 14th March 2008
JMc
Gear Addict

Pearlman TM-1 rocks and is a wee bit over your $1,500 but worth the stretch.

Also consider a Gefell UMT71 or UM70S. Excellent vocal mic right in your ballpark. Not as pretty as a lot of the other mics you listed, but a damn good sound. I just bought an M71 because I wanted a little more meat on my bones than the transformerless new crop, but it's right up there with a U87 from everything I've ever heard or read.

I actually like my TLM-103, but since I bought the Pearlman and the Gefell, I doubt that I will ever use it again. It's a great sounding mic, but it really doesn't handle the proximity affect as well as others.
Old 14th March 2008

You have a 4033 and an SM7. Those are two mics that meet your criteria...

The Bock 151 is a bit out of your range....

You would do well to add a Heil PR40 to the closet. Maybe look at the ADK mics as well.

-tINY

Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

I like my TLM103. Don't know why people don't like it. I got mine in mint condition with shock mount for 700 on eBay.
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

Your excuse is a pretty good one.heh
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

i lke the perlman.. but have you thought out peluso? the vtb will give you a great vocal
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

You have a 4033 and an SM7. Those are two mics that meet your criteria...

The Bock 151 is a bit out of your range....

You would do well to add a Heil PR40 to the closet. Maybe look at the ADK mics as well.
The 4033, on the vocalist I'm currently working with, just sounds a bit boxy to me. Just not very open. That's the only way I can describe it. That's why I'm searching. The SM7 and NTK didn't suite him...they stuck out too much...they actually SOUNDED like they were recorded separately. And the NTK had this odd upper mid thing I didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
i lke the perlman.. but have you thought out peluso? the vtb will give you a great vocal
I've just heard mixed reviews on the Peluso...
Old 15th March 2008

I'm assuming that you have tried moving the mic and singer around....

It's not illegal to use a bit of EQ in the mix either.

I still love that PR40 on male vocals most times, though.

-tINY

Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

The next session, I'm going to move him around and see what I come up with.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

i have a great river mp2nv and have both a tm1 and a u87ai.You can't go wrong with either imo.My tm1 came with a german tube in it.Great river is a nice pre for these mics but at times i will use a 737 avalon or a summit mpc 100a.Both mics will rock!Choose your flavor and good luck mate!

Dan P
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
i have a great river mp2nv and have both a tm1 and a u87ai.You can't go wrong with either imo.My tm1 came with a german tube in it.Great river is a nice pre for these mics but at times i will use a 737 avalon or a summit mpc 100a.Both mics will rock!Choose your flavor and good luck mate!
What do you feel are the sonic differences between the two?

No one else?
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad_Rocker View Post
What do you feel are the sonic differences between the two?

No one else?
MR:The Tm1 sounds more vintage.Warmer sounding than the u 87ai.The 87 overall is a great mic.New the 87 is much more xpensive than the tm1 so for the money it is a great choice that stands up to other more xpensive mics.I would say the 87 has a certain sound,i have heard others say and i would agree a bump in the midrange where the tm1 sound harder to identify as to what mic is that.Goes with the boutiqueness of Maker Dave Pearlman.Check out more threads on the tm1 and Good luck.

Dan P
Old 17th March 2008
Lives for gear

Monday morning bump & added the Mojave MA-200 to my consideration list.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

No one else, eh?
Old 19th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

I'm assuming that you have tried moving the mica and singer around....

It's not illegal to use a bit of EQ in the mix either.

I still love that PR40 on male vocals most times, though.

-tINY
I haven't used my PR30 on vocals yet but will try it this weekend. Also the PR20 is supposed to be a vocal stage mic. Should work very well. I got my brother-in-law a Fin for Christmas (pr20 guts) from Chad, my GC Pro, and he liked it so much he used it some on his album that came out last month.

Big Mike Griffin offers his latest biker blues music cd, Livin' Large
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

From my research, here's an updated list of mics I am considering.

Pearlman TM-2 - Cause it's a bit cheaper than the TM-1
Neumann U87ai - Can only afford it if I get a KILLER deal...like 1500 or below.
Neumann TLM 49 - Keep reading good things about this mic
Soundelux U195
Shure KSM44

I'm slowly getting the list down. 1000 is comfortable for me...1500 is REALLY stretching me.

Hopefully some folks will chime in.

Here's the vocalist I'm looking to use the mic on: MySpace.com - Black Leaf Clover - Fayetteville, US - Rock / Alternative / Metal - www.myspace.com/blackleafclover
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Okay, yet another post from me in the same day...

I think I have narrowed it down to two now...

Neumann TLM 49
Pearlman TM-2

So....which one for gritty male tenor rock vocals into a Great River MP-500NV?
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Was hoping to purchase either or today...if anyone has opinions on the two...

Not a lot of cash to buy both and try them...wish I could.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have the Pearlman Tm1, and tested it once against a u67... now every u67 is a bit different... This one sounded great, but the tm1 sounded better. Well the output was also better and less noizy, so perhaps not a fair comparisson.

But I am really really happy with the TM-1...

This is a mic you will use for years and years, probably more than 10 or 20 years. So if you want the tm1 instead of the tm2, just go for the tm-1.

BTW... I have not heard the tm2, perhaps it's GREATTTT!

David Pearlman let's you send the mic back if you don't like it, so perhaps try both!? Perhaps David is up for something like that, call him. It's worth it if you think about it... This mike is a keeeeper.

I record drums with it. One tm1, about 3 meters from the kit. in a la610, and it sounds like james brown. Just one mic. Like they did back then. Sounds of the late 60ies funk. Do you want it!?

M.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
I have the Pearlman Tm1, and tested it once against a u67... now every u67 is a bit different... This one sounded great, but the tm1 sounded better. Well the output was also better and less noizy, so perhaps not a fair comparisson.

But I am really really happy with the TM-1...

This is a mic you will use for years and years, probably more than 10 or 20 years. So if you want the tm1 instead of the tm2, just go for the tm-1.

BTW... I have not heard the tm2, perhaps it's GREATTTT!

David Pearlman let's you send the mic back if you don't like it, so perhaps try both!? Perhaps David is up for something like that, call him. It's worth it if you think about it... This mike is a keeeeper.

I record drums with it. One tm1, about 3 meters from the kit. in a la610, and it sounds like james brown. Just one mic. Like they did back then. Sounds of the late 60ies funk. Do you want it!?

M.
The more I have thought about it...realistically...I can't afford the TM-1. I can afford the TM-2 or a used TLM 49, though. And that's what I'm trying to decide between.
Old 19th March 2008
Gear Guru

Up front, I haven't tried a TM2 or TLM49. I CAN tell you that even if you stretch to $1500, any 87 you'll find will be pretty trashed. I suppose you could hold out for a miracle, but you might be waiting a long while and it seems like you want to move ahead.

The suggestion of a Gefell M71S is an excellent suggestion I think. Great for Vox and other things, a clean one can be easily found in the $7-850 range and IMO it's a classic mic at an unbelieveable bargain. Mine are destined to never be sold out of my mic cabinet - and I have 3 of them. They are very neuman-esque (because they ARE neumann's) and sound very similar to the 87 without the low mid cloud that the 87 has. They have the highly prized M7 capsule in them - the same cap as the U47 & other highly prized mics. That's not something you'll get with any new low priced mic these days. Highly recommended. thumbsup
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad_Rocker View Post
The more I have thought about it...realistically...I can't afford the TM-1. I can afford the TM-2 or a used TLM 49, though. And that's what I'm trying to decide between.
I don't have the TM-2 or TLM 49, but I recently picked up a Soundelux U195 and can vouch that it sounds great on a lot of sources. I don't know if that'd include your voice, but I throw it out there nonetheless. The U195 seems like a quality jack-of-all-trades LDC to me.

One question: If you can afford a TLM 49, why cross the TM 1 off your list? They shared comparable price tags.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
One question: If you can afford a TLM 49, why cross the TM 1 off your list? They shared comparable price tags.
Because I can get a used TLM 49 for about 1000.
Old 20th March 2008
Gear Maniac

The Soundelux is a very cool mic if you can find one. They've been replaced by the Bock Audio 195, and I don;t how they've fared since the company changed hands.

Any reason why you're not considering an AKG C414XLii?
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsimpson View Post
Any reason why you're not considering an AKG C414XLii?
This is all confusing enough as it is. Why add more confusion to the pile. I have it narrowed down to two.
Old 20th March 2008

Try the 49 first, It'll be easier to sell if it doesn't work out..

-tINY

Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Another brand just to confuse things further -

Front End Audio | Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer | 888-228-4530
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Try the 49 first, It'll be easier to sell if it doesn't work out..
Because of the name on the microphone...but is that the only reason? Or do you think the 49 would be better suited to what I'm doing?
Old 20th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Check out the Peluso mics. I have the 2247LE and enjoy it on a lot of sources. It is superier to the Neumann TLM103.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetothink View Post
Check out the Peluso mics. I have the 2247LE and enjoy it on a lot of sources. It is superier to the Neumann TLM103.
Awesome...but I'm not considering the TLM 103.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search