The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Percussion Does Your Studio Have?
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

This is really getting good. "Found" percussion rules.

"LMAO!!

Whackita! That is it!"

So Whackita it will be! Even if I find out the "real" name (there are probably a hundred names for this thing, all the different languages- but this thing speaks the UNIVERSAL language!), "Whackita" is going on the credits.

I get a real perverse kick out of having the engineer play this thing and then featuring it way up front- hee hee! By the way he did a gorgeous job, starting slow, building to a frenzy, and then winding *all* the way down to the last little flop. A sterling performance.
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

damn... I just got a Yamaha Abso f'kin lute Birch kit. A nice compliment to the odds and ends of shakers, wood blocks, tamborines, cow bells and gongs that have been sitting around here... WOO HHOO!!
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

I once had an orange tabby studio cat named Babe (before the pig movie). I was quite traumatized when he died a few years ago, and I arranged to have him cremated. I was surprised to discover that cremation doesn't turn everything to dust--there will still be some very small pieces left. Anyhow, he came back to me in a small can and, well . . . you can fill in the rest.

-R
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

Cool thread---

Congas, doumbek, djimbe, tamborim, tamborines, cabasas, shakers, wood blocks, sleigh bells, surdo, pandiero (my fav) and a rainstick that gets used as a shaker.
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

"I once had an orange tabby studio cat named Babe (before the pig movie). I was quite traumatized when he died a few years ago, and I arranged to have him cremated. I was surprised to discover that cremation doesn't turn everything to dust--there will still be some very small pieces left. Anyhow, he came back to me in a small can and, well . . . you can fill in the rest."

I very seriously want to be turned into musical instruments when I die, although I'm sure my heirs, such as they may be, will lame out of that one. I may have to have it all contracted and ready to go for that to happen. I'd rather be up and rattling than steeped in formaldehyde in a plastic bag...

I feel that you honor your cat in this way. I'm sure if you have any current cats, they're all ears when the once-orange tabby gets played.
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

Not me man... when I die I just want to be dead... ****... a shaker as an afterlife... give me HELL....
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by joeq
In addition to all the usual store-bought and vacation-bought percussion I have some Found Objects that I keep around. One of my favorites is an old metal "hotel" type ashtray. The kind that is built into its own stand and has a spring loaded 'plunger' to dump the ashes into the bin below.

Depending on how and where you hit it you can get 10 different sounds from it. And the ZEEEeeeeee of the plunger is a sound of its own!

That's why the water cooler bottles are so great. Minimum of three different sounds from each, dpending on where and how struck.
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
"a couple of those obnoxious chinese drums that you twirl in your palms"

I have this african thing that looks like a paddle with two heads, you twirl the stick in your palms and little beads on strings whack the paddles/drumheads.

Is this what you're talking about, only chinese? What is one of these called?
Our engineer is featured prominently (how else?) on this instrument on our upcoming CD, I'm wondering what to call it in the credits. So far I'm leaning towards the onomatopoetic "whackita".

Anyone know a "real" or ethnic name for this truly and invigoratingly obnoxious instrument?

You KNOW we mic'ed it in stereo.
I recently recorded some Tibetan Buddhist chanting. They call the drum a damaru or sometimes a Ton Dhar. The double faced drum is said to symbolize the masculine and the feminine as well as the inseparability of absolute and relative truth.

An experienced player can keep a pretty steady beat on it considering that once those balls start moving they are on their own so to speak until they hit the drum. But talk about dynamic range- you can think you left plenty of headroom and then "wham!" I mean, "Whackita!"

Sometimes these drums are made from a pair of human crania. I don't think you are allowed to call those "Whackitas". The one I saw was wood but we did get to record a trumpet made out of a human femur.

You thought coming back as a shaker was bad....
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

"The double faced drum is said to symbolize the masculine and the feminine as well as the inseparability of absolute and relative truth."

Magnificent! Now those are the guys I want to blow my bones. I do think there is something profound to it, it's quite a statement! The sound of the thing, that is.

Mine has giraffe spots on it so I know it's at least supposed to be African.

Thanks much for the info, ask and ye shall receive around here.

I'm using the damaru/whackita/? with a kalimba, vibraphone (damped the whole time, like a marimba sound) and triangle in a little vignette about the lotus eaters. It sounds rather ceremonial.

I really envy your gig recording the Tibetan chant. That would be something to remember for a lifetime.
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

oh no... I thought I had something unique in my naivete, I've never seen Karate Kid II...
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

So, when played by Tibetan Monks, in spiritual music, or when made from human remains, the drum shall be known as a Damaru or Ton Dhar.

All other times, it shall be known as a Whackita! Exclamation mark should be used always, just like Whamo! frisbees.

This is important stuff. Spread the word.

Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Nah, Whackita! is better. thumbsup

Whaticka! Whaticka!
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Just off the top of my head...
congas
bongos
2 small ceramic dumbeks
1 large ceramic dumbek
2 darbukas
1 cast metal dumbek
a drumset including kik, black beauty snare, a piccolo snare, 6, 8, 10, & 18" rototoms, 16" & 18" floortoms, and a viriety of cymbals including some old messed up ones
2 log drums
1 djembe
1 mini djembe
1 udu
timbales
1 cajon
various metal bowls
foot operated tambourine (my own invention)
many shakers, bells, & other toys
several types of trigger pads, a trigger pedal & an alesis d4
& more...

Did I mention I'm a percussionist?
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Is the fuzzy resonator optional?
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Berolzheimer

a drumset including kik, black beauty snare, a piccolo snare, 6, 8, 10, & 18" rototoms, 16" & 18" floortoms, and a viriety of cymbals including some old messed up ones
Wow, I thought I was the only one with this type of setup. Except that I pulled the 6", 8" and 18" out of the kit, as part of trying to simplify a bit. Drummers get very weird about it, until they play it, then they tend to be amazed.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Is the fuzzy resonator optional?
I thought that was some kinda' sustain pedal... thumbsup
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

You're not Hank the Cave Peanut, are you?

Fine looking marimba! Cats know class when they see it and great sound when they hear it. That's quite an endorsement.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this type of setup. Except that I pulled the 6", 8" and 18" out of the kit, as part of trying to simplify a bit. Drummers get very weird about it, until they play it, then they tend to be amazed.
Yep, it can be a cool sound. Sometimes I use timbales as rack toms in place of the rotos, & sometimes I use the 18" roto as a frame drum.

I like the "cat as sustain pedal" concept. I can just imagine what that sounds like.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search