The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking through plugins
Old 6th December 2002
no ssl yet 
Tracking through plugins

Does anyone here (in ptools) set up an aux input and bus signals to tracks with plugins recorded?

I'm thinking of placing the following in bypass and enabling the ones I want on my signal

1 DUY Valve
2 DUY TAPE
3 Analog Channel AC1
4 Compressor Bank
5 Filter Bank

OR maybe
1 Filter Bank Hi and Lo pass filters
2 Analog Channel AC 1
3 Analog channel AC 2
4 Bomb factory Comp
5 Bomb Fact Pultec

Are they any pitfalls to tracking this way?? I only have a limited amount of outboard and I'm thinking this might be cool as long as I use moderate settings.

Also this should free up some DSP later in the mix

My thinking is that if I get a good 2 channel converter (read Cranesong HEDD) I will be tracking 2 channels at a time anyway. Why not add the processin that I know will be added later like hi pass filter/DUY Valve etc...
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

I prefer not recording thru the plug ins since you don't have too. It's fine to listen thru them to check if the final sound works but I'd rather get a "clean" (relatively speaking) track and have the luxury of fine tuning the plugs after the fact. Also, this way you can then process (either RTAS or bounce thru plugs) a duplicate of the track on another playlist and have the ability to revert to the clean original track if it later turns out that your processing choices were less than judicious.

BTW what did you decide to do for your upgrade project?
Old 7th December 2002
no ssl yet 
Well the only thing I've purchased so far was a 1622 It's not the greatest piece but I'm gonna use it for reverb returns and use one of my old adats for 8 sends

I found a cool deal on a lucid 8824 and a mix cube
I already have a core card but the deal is so sweet that I may go ahead and get the mix3
As far as outboard
I'm leaning toward 2 CIB's
And the mic will be either a 4050, Manley Ref or Lawson 47 to add to my TLM 103
When comparing my mixes to others I'm beginning to think they are not $50G's off

My plan is to get more DSP and a better front end then sell some records. Strangely enough I find I am the only one who finds a problem in the level of quality that I'm getting. The folks who rent time and the people who I test market songs to dont hear the problem.

So I'm gonna spend maybe around $18G''s To satisfy me a bit more

You are right about using play lists and re-recording I was just thinking too much when I shouldn't have LOL I can always print channels when I feel shure
Old 7th December 2002
One with big hooves

I wouldn't track through plug-ins when it's just as easy to change it later. Mostly because I haven't come across that many good ones. I'm so-so on the Bomb Factory stuff, though I don't mind the Focusrite plugs. They seem to be kinda non-fuckupable.
Old 7th December 2002
One with big hooves

Also, I noticed a weird sound when plug-ins were in bypass. One or two didn't seem to matter but when I had 4 or 5 chained up things started to sound weird. Maybe it was just me but I doubt it because it was consistant. YMMV.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

In PT I think when you bypass the plugins, the audio is still routed thru it so that can definitely account to a change in sound quality. It's better to deactivate the plugins, this way all your settings are kept but the audio is not going thru it. Also you get back the DSP power to do something else until you want to reactivate the plugs.
Old 7th December 2002
no ssl yet 
My only reason for suggesting you bypass the plug was so every channel would have the same amount of delay. But on second thought One shouldn't go through a plug when it is not absolutely necessary. So this kills the whole idea
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear