The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best multi pupose 2 channel mic pre? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st July 2004
Deleted bd1be4f
Best multi purpose 2 channel mic pre?

I'm in definite need of a great 2 channel all around preamp. I currently have a 2 channel Telefunken V672 unit that's great, but not for all things. I'm looking for the most versatile unit possible that will sound great on the greatest number of sources. I'm currently looking at the Chandler TG2 or the Cranesong Flamingo. Any other recommendations while I'm shopping around?
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Can't go wrong with Great River MP2NV.

Works great on alot of things and good on all the others.
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

my audition list would be....
pendulum mdp-1a
cranesong flamingo
great river mp-2nv
although i'm sure there are a ton of other perfectly good choices.
good luck,
joshua
Old 22nd July 2004
Gear Maniac

If you wouldn't mind having 4 channels of pre the new daking 4 channel pre is about the same price as the other pre's mentioned. If it is the same pre is the daking pre/eq then i will be very versitile.

hope this helps,

Matt
Old 22nd July 2004
Deleted bd1be4f
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. If there are any others worth investigation, keep 'em coming!
Old 22nd July 2004
More cowbell!

Yep, the GRNV2 or the Crane Song.
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Manley SLAM! is pretty dang versatile, especially with the A/D/A. I do real clean puriste stuff with mine, totally other world than the heavy sound shaping the thing can excel at from all accounts- beautiful use of the best of solid state and tube mic pre possibilities.
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

John Hardy Twin Servo 990's. Great for a ton of sources, especially acoustic guitar and vocals, bass, overheads. Full, open and makes stuff sound huge.
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

I like my API 312's. I've used them on just about everything!
Old 22nd July 2004
The DW Fearn VT-2 always sounds good to me. I may sometimes opt for a different color (API, Neve, etc.) but you just can't go wrong with the VT-2.
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

I've been trying out a Chandler TG2 for a few weeks,and I know it's almost universally loved but...
I definitely would not want it as a "all round/multipurpose" type of pre.It sounds best to me when being driven hard and becomes too crunchy at times (for me anyway)in the sweet spot.
It's a cool sound, almost like a effects box at times still it has it uses (great on gtr but not in love with it on much else).I would rather have something less flavored and more utilitarian initially e.g.API,Flamingo,Phoenix,Hardy,etc and get the Chandler on down the road.

YMMV
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

wow no mentions of the Phoenix DRS-2... well i'll add it to the list, it's been my workhorse overdub preamp for the past year and a half and i'd be more than happy to submit some examples of projects done almost exclusively with it. Can't give the DRS-2 enough props, does clean and varying degrees of color all beautifully. I'd like to add a GR MP2NV or a TG2 in the near future for more options.
Old 22nd July 2004
Gear Nut

For all-round

Cranesong *
Buzz Audio *
Millenia *
SPL *
Massenburg

All are clean and "interesting" enough to own. But not a huge amount of character. The ones with the * are in our studio so this is from experience.

Yuri
Old 22nd July 2004
Gear Addict

I agree with jpaudio, Phoenix DRS will do anything you want really well.

Brandon
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

I'd look for something with an extended frequency respons (deep lows, extended highs) and a little color. I think the BA312 fits this description quite well.

Something like the TG2 is definitely a more colored preamp, although if you don't drive it into distortion on the input, I find you can stack quite some tracks with it...

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 22nd July 2004
Gear Nut

RNP?
Old 22nd July 2004
Deleted bd1be4f
Well, from the list we've got so far it looks like I could probably pick anything from the mic pre list on Mercenary and be good! Guess I've got some major listening to do! Thanks for all the recommends so far...
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

This is gonna be a long list!

And I don't think any of us is claiming there's a best one.

One factor to think about- you might want your next pres to be different, or, if you are like me, you might want them to be the same, for a kind of "console sound" where all the pres used have the same sonic signature, space, and vibe. I've kind of painted myself into a corner with the SLAM!- can't afford to buy another one, like I could with some less expensive but excellent preamps. When the SLAMlet thing comes out with one SLAM! pre channel and one new Mitch Margolis solid state channel, I will need 2 to have 4 channels of the same kind of pre.

Could be a consideration- or maybe 2 channels of great all-around pre will be all you need for what you're doing. Or maybe, you want the next ones to be different.
Old 22nd July 2004
Deleted bd1be4f
Well, I'm planning on getting a Folcrom to mix out of PT to, so part of the consideration for me is also to have a 2 channel pre to use as a makeup/2 buss coming out of the Folcrom. Basically I want it to do everything well, MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Anyhoo, I'm demoing the Flamingo over the next few days, so I'll get a good feel for that unit at least.
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Aurora Audio GTQ-2. Geoff Tanner is the man. An artist I work with off and on has one of these. It's fantastic. It's right up there on my list of futre aquisitions.

I agree that the TG-2 is amazing... but not necessarily an all around "sounds great on everything" preamp.... unless you are REALLY into the Beatles.
Old 22nd July 2004
Gear Guru

best all around mic pre?

none!

(second vote for GTQ2)
Old 22nd July 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by zboy2854
Well, I'm planning on getting a Folcrom to mix out of PT to, so part of the consideration for me is also to have a 2 channel pre to use as a makeup/2 buss coming out of the Folcrom.

Anyhoo, I'm demoing the Flamingo over the next few days, so I'll get a good feel for that unit at least.

The Flamingo would be in my top 5 for most versatile, for tracking and the Folcrom. Some of the choices presented in this thread I agree with, some I don't...anything that's highly colored, with either a dark top or heavy midrange emphasis is not going to be a workhorse (unless of course you want your mix to sound small).
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by zboy2854
Well, I'm planning on getting a Folcrom to mix out of PT to, so part of the consideration for me is also to have a 2 channel pre to use as a makeup/2 buss coming out of the Folcrom. Basically I want it to do everything well, MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

the flamingo and pendulum would be the 2 i'd look long and hard at in this application.
joshua
Old 22nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Only one mention of the Buzz Audio, surprising...

I'm def. surprised that so many have suggested such colorful pieces as "best multi-purpose"... not that i don't like 'em or anything, just wouldn't wanna be stuck with one vibe all the time, especially making up gain on my 2-bus.

FWIW, I run my digital mixer outputs into my DRS-2, probably similar to using it on the back end of a Fulcrom... good stuff!
Old 23rd July 2004
Gear Addict

I recently bought an Amek DMCL which is a dual mic pre with filters(high and low pass) and a compressor/ limiter on each channel. Pretty sweet it is! Been recording vocals and stereo micing acoustic guitars thru it - with KM184 mics on the guitar. Been using my Soundelux E47 thru it for vocals and I'm lovin' life - sounds great! It has digital outs also.
Old 23rd July 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by jpaudio
Only one mention of the Buzz Audio, surprising...

People don't mention what they haven't heard...regardless of how great it is. I think the more you see people getting a hold of the Buzz, the more general positive attention it will receive, IMHO.
Old 24th July 2004
Lives for gear

The Buzz was the first great pre that I bought, and I still use it on the majority of tracks when I'm overdubbing.
Old 24th July 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by StuartMac
The Buzz was the first great pre that I bought, and I still use it on the majority of tracks when I'm overdubbing.
That's very rewarding to hear Stuart, thank you!

Cheers
Tim.
Old 24th July 2004
Lives for gear

My vote goes to the Forssell FetCode. It's just too cool.
Old 24th July 2004
Motown legend

The original Great River is awfully nice. If you are only going to have one preamp, an uncolored one usually works out best, at least for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search