The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hutch Finishes Tenure At Manley Labs, Joins Rupert Neve Designs
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Hutch Finishes Tenure At Manley Labs, Joins Rupert Neve Designs

PRESS RELEASE - For Immediate Release

Craig 'Hutch' Hutchison Finishes Tenure At Manley Labs, Joins Rupert Neve Designs

Chino, CA & Wimberley, TX (March 5, 2008) -- Things have come full circle for designer Craig "Hutch" Hutchison, who was first recruited by Manley Labs to rebuild a Neve console in 1994. On February 18, 2008 Hutch left Chino, California for Wimberley, Texas to join Rupert Neve Designs, Inc. where he'll work with Rupert on the next range of products at RND as Senior Design Engineer.

Hutch's association with Manley Laboratories, Inc. began in the early 1990s first as a Manley amplifier customer while chief tech at Electric Lady Studios and continued as a Manley dealer when he started Uptime Audio in New York City. In 1994 Manley Labs hired Hutch to rebuild a 1969 vintage Neve console. After that project was completed and commissioned, Hutch relocated to California to work at Manley Labs fulltime. In 1996 Hutch took over as Chief Designer at Manley Labs and has since then produced such industry standards as the Langevin HP-101 headphone mixer, the Manley Massive Passive Stereo EQ, Manley 16x2 Mixers, and the acclaimed Manley SLAM! Stereo Limiter.

"Hutch has always had one hero in this business, and that's Rupert Neve. When Hutch was given the offer to mentor directly under Rupert at Rupert Neve Designs, I agreed with him that it was a wonderful opportunity for him that he could not pass up. We are truly happy for Hutch" says owner of Manley Labs, EveAnna Manley.

As Rupert Neve Designs has expanded in recent years it became apparent that a senior designer was needed to collaborate with Rupert to ensure the design torch would be carried into the next generation. There was always one name that came up again and again as the ideal candidate, and that of course, was Hutch. In his new position as Senior Design Engineer, Hutch will work alongside Rupert and the existing design team to help shape the future of recording studio electronics.

For Rupert Neve, the addition is also a tremendous opportunity. "For over the last twenty years I've seen Hutch become one of the world's foremost audio circuit designers, and it is both a privilege and an honor to have him join our team of engineers. We share a design philosophy, and I'm excited to be working with him on the next ranges of gear from RND," says Rupert Neve.

Engineering duties at Manley Labs will be continued by the rest of the team, including veteran vacuum tube-man Mitch Margolis, who has already created several Manley hi-fi models as well as several studio products for Groove Tubes. EveAnna continues, "Hutch's departure has been completely amicable. Hutch and I will continue our professional relationship. He has simply begun a new journey through another open door."

Since having commissioned the original Focusrite "Forte #002" at Electric Lady Studios all those years ago, Hutch has always had an affinity for Rupert's designs. Hutch states, "When I was working in studios making music, I always felt that Rupert did me a favor by providing great sounding, reliable equipment. Now I have the opportunity to repay that favor, to assist him in developing innovative and inspired gear to continue his lineage for future generations."

Manley Laboratories, Inc.
13880 Magnolia Ave.
Chino, CA. 91710 USA
Tel: +1 (909) 627-4256
Fax: +1 (909) 628-2482
Manley Labs Website

Rupert Neve Designs
PO Box 1969
Wimberley, TX 78676
Tel +1 (512) 847-3013
Fax +1 (512) 847-8869
Rupert Neve Designs
Attached Thumbnails
Hutch Finishes Tenure At Manley Labs, Joins Rupert Neve Designs-imgp0034.jpg  
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Wow!

A new chapter begins - exciting news for everyone in Pro Audio!!!

Here's to carrying the torch, Hutch!!! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 5th March 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

This should be awesome!

Good move RND!!

-T
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

That's pretty major news, sorta like Albert Pujols joins the Cubs
Or Bulls sign LaBron,
Or Brett Farve retires!

Congratulations to both parties!
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Great news

Josh, any hints on the 'next ranges of gear from RND'? heh
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

That's like Einstein collaborating with Newton. Amazing things will be in their/our future.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

HOLY CRAP!!! Sign me up to buy the 1st anything they make!!!
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Congrat's Hutch! I know this has to be an exciting opportunity for him on a personal and professional level. As an owner of 2 Slam!s they are still the most used pieces of gear in my studio. I know some great stuff will come out of this relationship fo sure. thumbsup
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

dig it the most!

go Rupert!

go Hutch!

go Team Tone!
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Addict

How is this good for Manley?

This is great for Rupert Never but I don't think it's good for Manley? Hasn't he been the staple to their company? Again how is this good for Manley? This is great for us consumers though. Can't wait for their first product......
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

"Finishes tenure"....... I love that. He either quit or got fired. Either way, terrible news for Manley. As for Neve? Could be Edison-Tesla situation, no? I guess we'll see.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

hmmmmm

i wonder if RND will add tube gear into their future product line. i consider RND stuff Reasonably priced, i wonder if their new stuff will be much more expensive.
Old 6th March 2008

To those who need to read that press release again, hear it from me again: this move is really good for everyone. Change leads to opportunity and growth for those of us involved, Manley Labs included. I am happy for Hutch as I posted in the Good News Forum. No need to make a drama out of a peaceful and blessed change of jobs.

Old 7th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Great news

Josh, any hints on the 'next ranges of gear from RND'? heh
We all just sat down and had our first product meeting yesterday afternoon, and things are starting to take shape nicely. As soon as things are fully defined, I'll post some stuff.

In the meantime, our suggestion box remains open.

Hope to see some of you at Musik Messe next week.

Josh
Old 20th March 2008
Gear Nut

Nice, I am sure Hutch will have an interesting time at RND.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRND View Post

Josh
Ok Josh here you go:

Using Ruperts Transformer knowledge and Hutch's Tube knowledge, build an eq/distortion unit that can include both transformer and tube drive control. Offer a wide range of different distortion textures with eq pre distortion to contour and precondition the signal for the distortion circuits.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
will there be a combination mono EQ / compressor so i can build a nice mix desk with only a single penthouse?
Old 20th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
will there be a combination mono EQ / compressor so i can build a nice mix desk with only a single penthouse?
my thoughts exactly

narco
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
Ok Josh here you go:

Using Ruperts Transformer knowledge and Hutch's Tube knowledge, build an eq/distortion unit that can include both transformer and tube drive control. Offer a wide range of different distortion textures with eq pre distortion to contour and precondition the signal for the distortion circuits.
I quite like this idea.

Something like a 'dual' channel tone control box, with Neve eq curves (like the 5033) with both transformers and tube technology - using drive controls, blend controls and switches for tranny and/or tube distortion. Maybe a 3 band eq with HP and LP filters to keep things simple (as the 5 band is already available). Perhaps include the 'feedback' dynamics mode from the 5043 comp with simpler controls for stereo mix use. A nice all in one box indeed.

Something like that.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

They will create a console, like Toft ones, maybe more " hi-tech".
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs View Post
They will create a console, like Toft ones, maybe more " hi-tech".
Old 21st March 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
Ok Josh here you go:

I think I just soiled myself a little.
Old 28th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the comments, and we're actually looking at producing some things along these lines!

Josh
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

If Rupert could attract some younger digital applications genious to improve main missing link in modernd studio gears that is ergonomy of digitally controllable, totally automatable and affordable (on controlability part) line of gears.

Just imagine 16-48 ch 8 buss class A, Neve trafos + Hutch tube based circuitry mixing console, with solid state and tube EQs/comps and full DAW based automation on all controls.

RND becomes new monster in high-end and Manley Designs didn't offer anything exciting for a some time.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, and we're actually looking at producing some things along these lines!

Josh

Thats great and I can't wait.

Will this be a seperate product line from the current Portico range, or would you say a continuation? I'm going to be placing an order on some Portico units in the next month or so.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Make some stuff for 500 series. We know RND is part of the VPR Alliance.

Make an 8 ch version of the 5012 with internal power supply and dual XLR outputs. Two inputs: Switchable Mic and Line on XLR's. Silk button for each channel. Lose the High Z bus outs.

Incorporate some tubes somewhere on something.

How about a hybrid channel strip. Pre/Line Driver/EQ/Compressor-Limiter/Tape Simulation/Tube Saturation
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post

How about a hybrid channel strip. Pre/Line Driver/EQ/Compressor-Limiter/Tape Simulation/Tube Saturation

Now that is a good product IMO. A new Rupert Neve channel strip would be killer, with processors taken from the Portico series. Mic pre / Line driver with Silk, Tube mode, and normal (tranny) mode, 4/5 bands of eq with LP and HP filters, a compressor / limiter with fb and ff, and a basic tape emulation / stereo width control in a 2u rack with internal PSU. This could be either a single channel or a dual channel unit (price being a factor though).

I recently bought an AMEK Purepath CIB, and only managed to get one channel, a new design from Rupert Neve (a producer pack type thing) would be perfect. A single pair or a dual unit of such a product and i'm done.
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post

Now that is a good product IMO. A new Rupert Neve channel strip would be killer, with processors taken from the Portico series. Mic pre / Line driver with Silk, Tube mode, and normal (tranny) mode, 4/5 bands of eq with LP and HP filters, a compressor / limiter with fb and ff, and a basic tape emulation / stereo width control in a 2u rack with internal PSU. This could be either a single channel or a dual channel unit (price being a factor though).

I recently bought an AMEK Purepath CIB, and only managed to get one channel, a new design from Rupert Neve (a producer pack type thing) would be perfect. A single pair or a dual unit of such a product and i'm done.
Neve rules again and again.
And forever

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search