The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jules ditches his distressors ?
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Jules ditches his distressors ?

Jules why ya doing it? Do you have others in your studio? Has the new Sony Compressor impressed you so much that you have no need for outboard compressors? Has your bookie given you problems? Whats up?

Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

isn't that a violation of gearslut ethics and code?
Old 5th December 2002
One with big hooves

I know a few people that have a love/hate relationship with the Distressors. Personally I wouldn't mind having one or two in the rack in place of my dbx 160VU's. Though, right now I am digging the hell out of them again.
Old 5th December 2002
Ashley, I have 3..

One in the studio, 2 that reside at a rental co.

I have the rental co units delivered when ever I am away from my small place, in a room big enough to crush with em.

The rental co obviously sends THIER units out the door first, they recently bought a lot more, they must have about 10 + units ... So mine arent bringing in income anymore and just sit there 350 days of the year.

Meanwhile I max out my PT Mix + rig quite often, not quickly but I am anoyingly 'just short' of DSP all the time now on my mixes (Sony EQ's & compressors a go-go and the beta compressor is a real DSP hog, but will get trimmed back on final release)

I have space for 2 x more Mix + cards in my expansion chassis. That would do me nicely! Bringing me up to a total of 7 Mix + cards..

I'm not going to go HD for the time being, the combo of 16 i/o of Prism Dream ADA converters, 48k 24 bit sessions , analog summing and using my vintage & classic outboard at on tracking & mixdown WILL JUST HAVE TO DO - for the moment!

I dig swapping gear... it's a good vibe!

Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Jules ditches his distressors ?

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
Great smilie!!

You'd have to pry my EL8 from my cold dead fingers. After the new year I'm going to have them install the "brit mode".. that is if they'll still do it by itself.
Old 5th December 2002
BTW re compressor choices, I use Plug ins & outboard. Outboard choices at mixdown are limited (in that I subgroup out of PT via 16 outputs only) ...and treated as 'delicious treats' and therefore are fun to select what to put on...

For example on a mix I have up today (for Sasha Zand NYC - Tape Op contributer, in the recent edition he interviews a project)

I have the following on the go;

Joe Meek stereo - on drum group (all the drums) + 2 x Tube Tech valve EQ's
extra version of Kick - DBX 160 vu + Neve1073
extra version of Sn - ADR vocal stressor + Neve1073
Bass = Foucsrite + THE studios 'only' distressor
Mix buss - Cranesong STC - 8

Unsused so far - SSL, TLA 5051, DBX 160 vu, UA 1176, the 2 x Distressors for trade...

But then I havent got the vocals going yet

heh

The Joe Meek has had a reprive, I was going to sell it. But I re-discovered, It sound wonderfully 'retro' on drum kit (as opposed to the SSL). So it lives on for Retro style projects..
Old 5th December 2002
That Smilie totaly rules!
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Maniac

I was mainly asking cause i was debating to pick up a used one in nyc...but I don't think I could afford (for now) getting both the sony compressor plug and the distressors....hmmm I guess I could just buy it and download the sony compressor when available and compare... but bassically I am looking for two things in a compressor right now...1176 type vibe for vocals and another compressor for Fatboy slim/Chemical Brothers big ass beats...the distressor was demoded to me and got this sound...and no compressor plug-in has...oh also Jules you may want to hold to those things...I thought I heard that there will be more mods coming out next year (fairchild?)

Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
The Joe Meek has had a reprive, I was going to sell it. But I re-discovered, It sound wonderfully 'retro' on drum kit (as opposed to the SSL). So it lives on for Retro style projects..
I like mine (SC2.2v4) for drums quite a bit, guitars too but it's a little trickier to set up for those.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
I like mine (SC2.2v4) for drums quite a bit, guitars too but it's a little trickier to set up for those.
I've got the old sc2 and when it works, IT REALLY WORKS. Last night I strapped it across some guitars while tracking and the bass player jumped up and said "that's it." I was thinking the same thing.
Old 6th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
I've got the old sc2 and when it works, IT REALLY WORKS. Last night I strapped it across some guitars while tracking and the bass player jumped up and said "that's it." I was thinking the same thing.
The old SC2 sounds different than the 2.2. The news ones have the faster release times that work better for drums, while the originals(without the makeup gain) are slower and work best for bass and guitars.

I haven't used my old SC2 in a long time. I still keep in the rack though(its the only green thing in the studio, besides the cash that keeps flying out of my pockets). heh
Old 6th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I know a few people that have a love/hate relationship with the Distressors. Personally I wouldn't mind having one or two in the rack in place of my dbx 160VU's. Though, right now I am digging the hell out of them again.
I am one of those dudes. I did keep one though. I think it sounds better with a different front end(for eg; another EQ or a different comp). It is a little thin sounding on its own, but I guess this works great for drumsubs.
Old 7th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I don't often use my distressors either, though free-lancers love them.

OTOH, my four 160VUs are always on the go for rock rhythm sections...kick+snare or kick+bass mult, snare or bass mult, toms left, toms right.

YMMV,

Jon
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

Does anybody use Drawmer 1960s or 1969s?

I've got a 1960 that I use (for compression, not for its pres), and I don't really hear all that much about others using these things.

I had the impression they were popular in the U.K.

-M.M.M.

Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
I really like mine for a lot of things. Isn't it crazy . . . when it first came out, everyone was digging the crap out of it for guitars and raving about it . . . . now people act like it has testicle cancer.

I have the old one with the output on the back of the box (a pain in the bum, why do companies do that crap?) . . . . I have no idea which version I have. How do you tell? I thought mine was the 'Stereo Joe Meek' until I read there are all different ones at different prices. I paid a fair amount for this thing when it came out.

Anyone ever open one up? Nothing to it.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Old 7th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
I really like mine for a lot of things. Isn't it crazy . . . when it first came out, everyone was digging the crap out of it for guitars and raving about it . . . . now people act like it has testicle cancer.

I have the old one with the output on the back of the box (a pain in the bum, why do companies do that crap?) . . . . I have no idea which version I have. How do you tell? I thought mine was the 'Stereo Joe Meek' until I read there are all different ones at different prices. I paid a fair amount for this thing when it came out.

Anyone ever open one up? Nothing to it.
The way you can tell is by the serial number and amount of noise.heh

The first batch(and in my opinion the coolest ones) were the 1.5. These have no makeup gain amp, so you have to crankup the gain, to get the levels to match, which of course drives up the compression(unless you crank it up afterwards on the board). The next version i believe were the 1.5.1 or 5? maybe and these have the makeup gain in the back. The subsequent versions had the makeup gain in the front and faster release times(version 2.0).

At a certain point, they stopped making them the same because some of the earlier parts were no longer availalble(which is why the very early ones sound different than there modern counterparts).

The 2.0 and 2.2 are faster sounding and less noisy(as well as thinner sounding to my ears).

The 1.5 is noisier but fatter(slow opto). I use mine mainly as an effect box these days, almost like a compressor stompbox.

The ones in between all vary because of the electronic changes.

Who knows if they become popular again, it will be like the 1176 craze(serial numbers and such).Almost like comparing a Black 1176, Silver 1176 and a 1178.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
The way you can tell is by the serial number and amount of noise.heh

The first batch(and in my opinion the coolest ones) were the 1.5. These have no makeup gain amp, so you have to crankup the gain, to get the levels to match, which of course drives up the compression(unless you crank it up afterwards on the board). The next version i believe were the 1.5.1 or 5? maybe and these have the makeup gain in the back. The subsequent versions had the makeup gain in the front and faster release times(version 2.0).

At a certain point, they stopped making them the same because some of the earlier parts were no longer availalble(which is why the very early ones sound different than there modern counterparts).

The 2.0 and 2.2 are faster sounding and less noisy(as well as thinner sounding to my ears).

The 1.5 is noisier but fatter(slow opto). I use mine mainly as an effect box these days, almost like a compressor stompbox.

The ones in between all vary because of the electronic changes.

Who knows if they become popular again, it will be like the 1176 craze(serial numbers and such).Almost like comparing a Black 1176, Silver 1176 and a 1178.
You got me curious so I went and looked on the back. It says version 1.9.

It has always been really quiet to my ears. Except for the gruesome pumping it does, that I like at times. Not subtle is it? I like it on guitars. At times I will use it for a drum sub mix if I want something "trashy" sounding. Or a room mic that I squish the hell out of. I even used it for a 2 mix buss compressor once when I was going for a psychedelic sound (it worked well for that)

Thanks for your help
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear
The JM SC2.2 has a Dark switch on the front which sounds really nice for vintage drum sound as well.
Hey Jules, what do you think of your Fatso on drum buss?
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Coldsnow
The JM SC2.2 has a Dark switch on the front which sounds really nice for vintage drum sound as well.
The "Dark Mode" is engaged more times than not in my little world. I love the quality it can impart on lotsa stuff.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Maniac

huh I didn't even think anyone liked the joemeek stuff maybe i'll get the Bombfactory version

Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
huh I didn't even think anyone liked the joemeek stuff maybe i'll get the Bombfactory version

[/IMG]
From what I remember . . . the Joe Meek stuff came out (the Stereo Compressor) and everybody was really digging it. It's funny . . . now people are acting like they never did. You know . . . like the guy that swears he never had sex with the good looking but slightly fat girl in high school that he REALLY liked at the time. (smile)

I think what happened . . if I remember right was. They began to put out some real Guitar Center / crapola pieces at some point and everyone decided that they weren't cool anymore (and some of the pieces weren't). Though when the Stereo Compressor that I have and others here are talking about first came out it was a piece that had a cool place. Still does to me.

What I didn't understand was the pricing and the model numbers at a certain point. I paid a good bit for mine. Then all of a sudden I would see one that looked like mine some place . . . for a 1/4 of the price. Was it the same? Was it better? Hell it seems like no one knew. Anyway . . . . I still like the one I have. Is it for everything? No Way! It has a vibe, I REALLY like things that have a vibe over things that don't. That is why the only Avalon piece I have is the DI (smile)
Old 9th December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt

I've got a 1960 that I use (for compression, not for its pres), and I don't really hear all that much about others using these things.

I had the impression they were popular in the U.K.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&threadid=1747
Old 9th December 2002
I have a weird SV3 model, that is discontinued, it is the 'good stereo comp' (I was assured) + a 24 bit AES i/o option..!
Old 9th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
You got me curious so I went and looked on the back. It says version 1.9.

It has always been really quiet to my ears. Except for the gruesome pumping it does, that I like at times. Not subtle is it? I like it on guitars. At times I will use it for a drum sub mix if I want something "trashy" sounding. Or a room mic that I squish the hell out of. I even used it for a 2 mix buss compressor once when I was going for a psychedelic sound (it worked well for that)

Thanks for your help

Hey Knox,

The 1.9 is one of the later ones. The electronic changes really started after version 1.7(if i remember). There was this whole controversy thing about it.

What makes the 1.5 so noisy is the fact that there was no output knob, so you had to crank up the input(which of course brings up any artifacts in the signal). The other compressor at the time that had a similar problem was the TLA-100(I still used it anyway).

Yeah, I think it started a whole movement, but like anything today people over did it(saturated) and turned people off. For some reason I always equate it to the grunge craze in the 90's.heh

I think the Distressor is going through similar things. Over saturation. It was it when it first came out and now you have guys like Jules trying to trade them for mixfarms!!! What sacrilige!!!

(Just kidding Jules!!!)

Hey Jules how about this trade... 2 mixfarms for your Crane Song STC-8? I know u haven't much time to try it out. Let me know.yuktyy
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah I have the O'l style 1.7 and it can get noisy. It is fatter than North Carolina hawg on steroids. The Meek and MXR mini limiters are placed where I can get at the back of them. Why?
Old 9th December 2002
"Hey Jules how about this trade... 2 mixfarms for your Crane Song STC-8? I know u haven't much time to try it out. Let me know."

No thanks, it's set to 'mix glue' mode most of the time, with additional use so far as an AMAZING acc gtr compressor... I look forward to trying it on other program in future..

"I'm gona keep it" - Drew Barymore ET.

heh
Old 9th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
"Hey Jules how about this trade... 2 mixfarms for your Crane Song STC-8? I know u haven't much time to try it out. Let me know."

No thanks, it's set to 'mix glue' mode most of the time, with additional use so far as an AMAZING acc gtr compressor... I look forward to trying it on other program in future..

"I'm gona keep it" - Drew Barymore ET.

heh
That's cool Jules.

My main "mix glue" comp just went down(Blue 230). And the repair bill on it is like $600.

And of course its going to take 2-3 weeks to fix it.

So for the first time in a long time I am having to mix with out a main comp. It feels weird. I can see how I've become used to working a certain way.

Oh well it was worth a shot.

Peace.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

MATTMATTMATT writes:

Quote:
Yeah, I do, and I actually use the preamps. I like it for electric guitars and my bluesy-ass voice.

Jasper
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

re 1960 / 1969: Thanks Mike and Fletcher

Mike : Nothing, not all the equipment in the world, can make my sorry-assed voice sound good (although I wonder, if I put it through a Hellicon Voice Prism, pitch correction, and sweetening, perhaps it might be passable. More likely it would be the audio equivalent of Joan Rivers -- excessive plastic surgery + makeup resulting in a creepy perversion more than anything else).

BTW, I use 1960 compression on piano (a Steinway Grand) when I need it to sound less "classical."

I'll tend to use D.W. Fearn VT 2 for mic pres (or, with the piano, a Soundfield Stereo Mic), then into the 1960 for a bit of compression, and then off into the wonderful world of digital.

-MattiMattMatt
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear