The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
hardware reverbs and delay units below $500...
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

hardware reverbs and delay units below $500...

Im convinced plug in reverbs suck. That being said looking for reverb or delay units that sound great that dont break the bank. Suggestions?
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

if you can get a yamaha SPX-990 on e-bay,there's usually one or two floating around, that would be one of your best bets. i bought one for $375 and its a good quality usable box. the new reverbs i tried under $500 like the lexicon boxes and such just didn't have that nice thick sound. i still have an MX-350 that just collects dust. on your buget, i really think its best to go better quality used than new..been there...hope this helps.
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

TC M300. I assume the replacement M350 is similar. Dynamic delay, slapback, various reverbs, decent chorus. Very useful for very little $, fun and extremely easy to use.

Steve
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmusic View Post
Im convinced plug in reverbs suck. That being said looking for reverb or delay units that sound great that dont break the bank. Suggestions?
What plugs have you been using??
Have you tried UAD 1 Plate 140, Yizoo2, IK CSR,

All are great,imho.
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Roland SDE-1000 & 3000 are great delays that won't break the bank act.
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmusic View Post
well I disagree about plug-in reverbs. Altiverb in particular is really good ,and the UAD 140 if you have their card is good as well.

For cheap outboard reverb also check out the Yamaha REV-500. Really good sounding especially the longer rooms and plates.......

Mark
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Sony R7 as well.
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Kurzweil Rumour and Mangler.
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Keep in mind many of these boxes are compromised by their cheap converters, and if you substitute the converters (using the digital i/o) you can get a better sound quality.

For instance the tc m300 has a fairly high noise floor but no appreciable distortion on its converters. This is going to sound much different than the lexicon mx400, which has a low noise floor but plenty of chilly higher-order distortion. Take the converters out of the picture and you have completely different sounding boxes.

And on some legendary boxes it's actually the distorted sound of the converters that give them "mojo"...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search