The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audix D6?
Old 4th December 2002
There is only one

Audix D6?

is this shipping yet? anyone used one? the reviews are getting my interest in it for a kick drum mic.
Old 6th December 2002
Audix D6

Hey Alpha,

I've been jazzed since reading some stuff on that mic. They are shipping; I saw one today at GC they wanted $199 for it. They also had two new condenser clipons and a D6 in a packaged deal for about $399. I'd be curious if the condensers are any good. Might go back tomorrow an spring for one.

Bob Maus
Old 7th December 2002
Alpha,

OK, I bought a D6 and the their new clip on condenser.
IMHO, they aren't cutting it. Gonna take them back.

Hyped low end with a scoop in the low mids; might be great if you have a shiity sounding kick. I tried diiferent positions and preamps and of course monitored thru my SA-3s. Audix is good for live and that's were they should stay.

Bob Maus
Old 7th December 2002
There is only one

what other kick mics have you been using? and what kind of kick sounds do you go for? what kind of music?
Old 7th December 2002
D6

I use an RE20 or 421 on kick most often. I like a nice sock sound with some fat but controlled lows and little defintion. It sounded like that was what they were trying to achieve with the D6, but with my kick tuned nicely it hyped those freq. I don't use EQ for trking if at all possible. If I can't get it to sound good w/o the helper apps, don't feel like I have the right combo of front end gear. Actually, I haven't been all that displeased with my current setup, but read so much good stuff on the D6, I just had to try one.

No Rap, Heavy Metal or Grungier type stuff. Most of what I record is R&B, Med Rock and Folk/Rock so this mic may be good for other types of music.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

So far, of those "EQ-built-in" type of kick drum mic I heard, I've prefered the EV 868. I haven't heard the D6 though.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

The descriptions I've read of the D6 make it sound a little to "Insta-Kick" for me. The irony here is that Audix already makes the D4, which is IMHO (I finally got to do that!) the best dynamic mic application-"tailored" to the kick drum. Sounds like the drum! Live sound guys (I was one) hate tripping over cables on the run down from FOH to adjust mic placement. Placed correctly, the D4 is fantastic, by which I mean that it's as good as the drum.

Someone should make a "kick drum mic" with a little flash ram thingy in it containing a bunch of Clearmountain samples it can shoot down the wire. Then FOH would have more time to gate the toms.
Old 9th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Just get a Beta 52 and be done with it.
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Addict

Here ya go, Alpha:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/live/arti...k/audix/d6.php

Live soundy, but still a nice perspective. I like Audix stuff.
Old 13th December 2002
There is only one

yeah... mostly geared towards live use in that review.

right now im using a D112 [which is OKAY... but not good], a U195 [which can have too much low end], a R121 [which i always need elsewhere but sounds like the shit on kick], a 4033 [strangely sounds good on kick... and as room mics]. i tried my U99 but it just doesnt work quite right. i have used RE20's and 421's [but neither mic became a mic i had to have or peaked my interest in owning]

i would like a D25. anyone wanna give me one?

i have been thinking about an ATM25.

i could just get a couple more R121's...
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Addict

Definitely spend as much money as possible. That's always the safest bet.heh
Old 13th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
yeah... mostly geared towards live use in that review.

right now im using a D112 [which is OKAY... but not good], a U195 [which can have too much low end], a R121 [which i always need elsewhere but sounds like the shit on kick], a 4033 [strangely sounds good on kick... and as room mics]. i tried my U99 but it just doesnt work quite right. i have used RE20's and 421's [but neither mic became a mic i had to have or peaked my interest in owning]

i would like a D25. anyone wanna give me one?

i have been thinking about an ATM25.

i could just get a couple more R121's...
yeah yeah yeah

Tried a Beta 52?
Old 14th December 2002
There is only one

i have this thing about shure mics for some reason... maybe i will try one.
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

Alpha,
If you get a chance check out the Sennheiser e602.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...521?Open&row=1
Been using one for about a year, love it! TommyD
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear